Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Eye isn't wanting to stay open.

Plight

Cavy Slave
Basically, my guinea pigs left eye won't open all the way. It can and he does when running around, but just chilling there his right is open all the way and his left is half closed. He doesn't seen to be scratching or messing with it and his behavior hasn't changed but it is almost always almost closed. I only just noticed so it is a new thing but as I look at him I see him closing it almost completely and opening it half way again repeatedly as his right stays open. Could he maybe just have a cold in his eye? It doesn't seem serious but with guinea pigs you never know, not to mention I am going to be flying with him in little over a week so I want to make sure he is okay for flight. I'll try to post pictures later.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Basically, my guinea pigs left eye won't open all the way. It can and he does when running around, but just chilling there his right is open all the way and his left is half closed. He doesn't seen to be scratching or messing with it and his behavior hasn't changed but it is almost always almost closed. I only just noticed so it is a new thing but as I look at him I see him closing it almost completely and opening it half way again repeatedly as his right stays open. Could he maybe just have a cold in his eye? It doesn't seem serious but with guinea pigs you never know, not to mention I am going to be flying with him in little over a week so I want to make sure he is okay for flight. I'll try to post pictures later.

I'd be concerned that he either has something in it or has conjunctivitis. How does the eye look? Is there any redness or crustiness?

Plight

Cavy Slave
No redness that I can see and doesn't seem to be crusty either, maybe a wee but swollen around the front corner? And he does paw at it occasionally. I'm thinking something may have irritated it.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'll bet there's some hay or debris in it.

Plight

Cavy Slave
That's what I was thinking. The more I thought about it, I realized the hay was a bit more dusty since I'm toward the bottom of the box and he likes to stick his head in the hay sack so yeah.. I think that's what it was. lol Some just got in his eye. If it gets worse I'll update but for now I won't be too concerned.

pinky

Cavy Slave
As long as the eye isn't ulcerated, I'd flush it with a sterile saline solution. You can ask the pharmacist for one that would safe for small pets. To flush, you spray a steady stream to float across the eye from the outside of the eye towards the tear duct. Don't flush directly towards the eye. Never flush from the tear duct towards the outside of the eye because you'll force debris farther under the eye lid. If it doesn't improve, I'd have it checked in case it's an infection.

Plight

Cavy Slave
He'll hate me for awhile afterwards, but I'll definitely take your advice. And I'll check YouTube and such for videos so I know I do it right.

Plight

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: His eye upon closer inspection seems to have a cloudy film over it. I'm flying the 18th with him so money is really tight, and I can't afford to take him to the vet but I will if I have to. I bought a sterile buffered eye wash that I will use to flush his eye, but after that what should I do? See if it gets better?

Plight

Cavy Slave
It isn't crusty or draining just still half closed and with a cloudy film over it.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If there's a cloudy film then there's a very good chance that the eye is abraded. The sooner you can treat with antibiotic eye drops the better.

Plight

Cavy Slave
Okay. I have an appointment tomorrow for the vet. Lets hope it's not serious.!

piggsters

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Plight

Cavy Slave
Here's an update for those who want to know: Alfie had a piece of hay that got stuck in his eyelid that then cut his eye. Almost the entire black portion of his eye was ulcerated and the white part completely red. The vet gave me Metacam Suspension ad an antibiotic that I drop in his eye about every 8 hours. He also gave me Tobramycin Ophthalmic as a pain med I give orally once a day. I go back Monday as a check up. All in all I only(lol) spent 103 at the vet which I was expecting a bit more. Thank you those that gave advice. :) It is well worth the money knowing Alfie will be better soon.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Usually once the antibiotic drops are started the eye clears up pretty quickly. I'm hoping he has a speedy recovery!

piggsters

Cavy Slave
We all do!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.