Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm new and just wanted to say hi

wheeker

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I just wanted to say hi to everyone. I have two pigs at my house now. I just got my second one a few weeks ago. If you have any tips or suggestions I would love to hear.

Thanks,
wheeker :)

ilovemykisses

Cavy Slave
Hi wheeker.. welcome to the forum.

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
Hi, welcome to the forum! Please read through these sites:

https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

https://www.cavyspirit.com/

They will give you all the info you need. If you have some specific questions, just feel free to post them, and you should get plenty of answers!

How old are your pigs? What type of food are you feeding? Veggies?--pigs should have min. 1 cup fresh veggies everyday (no iceberg lettuce/cabbage). Bell peppers are a favorit with most pigs and are high in vitamin C (which is very important that they get about 10-30mg a day). Plain pellets should be feed only. No seeds, nuts, colored bites, or corn. Those are very bad for your pig. Only use Mazuri, Oxbow, or KM's pellets. The rest of the brands have addatives that are very bad for your pig. Also, a quality timothy hay should be available to your pig all day/night. They should have unlimited amounts. This helps aid digestion and keep their teeth filed down. Bedding: No Cedar! Kiln-dried pine, Aspen, Carefresh, yeasterday's News. Fleece are a few that are safe to use. NO seed and nut, or yougurt treats----those are bad for your pig to!

Ok, that was just a quick summary of some important info. Hope that helps some. But please read all the info on those web sites. I only covered a small fraction of the information that you need to know! Again, welcome and post some pictures when you can! :0)

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Welcome wheeker!

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
Wheeker,
Just wanted to pop over and say Welcome. I am rather new here too.

Lots of great information here on piggies. Just poke all around. You are bound to learn tons on this site.

Again.... Welcome
Debbie

wheeker

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the welcome

Thanks

I have 2 piggies, Rosie is around 2 and my other pig, Trixie is around 3. I got them from a shelter in Boston so I dont really know how old they are exactly. I am currently feeding them that food that you get in those bags that say guinea pig pellets. I know that it doesnt have vitamin C in it but I give them vitamin C in their water. After all that food is gone I wont get that kind again!!! They are both in a 3x2 C&C cage with a 1X1 upper level.
Also I have a few questions about introducing them. they have been together for around a week or 2. But my older piggy makes that noise that meant go away or something like that when hay is put into their cage. I read all about it and stuff but I dont know what to do. If you have any answers to this please let me know.

Thanks
wheeker :confused:

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Welcome, I have a Trixie too! I would recommend getting Oxbow pellets isntead of the pellets you have now. Also, don't put vitamin C in water, it just distorts the taste is make the pigs not want to drink. Try just giving them a slice of orange or a piece of red bell pepper if you're concerned about how much vitamin C they are getting. Normal rumblestrutting, nipping, chattering are all normal when they are introduced. As long as there's no bloodshed, just keep them together to let them sort out their dominance. Good luck with your pigs and you'll find this site is great for any queations you might have.

wheeker

Cavy Slave
Problem

I have only one problem with changing the food. Everyone says dont buy from pet stores that sell animals. I dont do that but there is a little garden shop that sells food, toys etc but they only sell that kind of food so I put vitamin C drops into their water. Where can you find other food. Do you buy from pet stores?

thanks
wheeker :cheerful:

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums :D

You can buy oxbow pellets from here (broken link removed)

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
wheeker said:
I have only one problem with changing the food. Everyone says dont buy from pet stores that sell animals. I dont do that but there is a little garden shop that sells food, toys etc but they only sell that kind of food so I put vitamin C drops into their water. Where can you find other food. Do you buy from pet stores?

Please stop putting the drops in the water!! They are useless - they make the water taste odd and they don't work after a few minutes anyway. If the pig is having lots of fresh vegetables each day - lettuces, chard, peppers, cilantro, zucchini - then there is no need for vitamin supplements. I also have to ask -you are feeding unlimited hay, right?

KMs pellets are another choice after Oxbow - you can buy them at (broken link removed)

Well done on the C&C cage and on adopting them from a shelter - it makes such a difference!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
What is the name of the food you are feeding now?

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
cavy-cool-crazy said:
Please stop putting the drops in the water!! They are useless -

Just wanted to *Ditto* what cavy-cool-crazy posted. : )

And add....
Vit. C is the most fragile of all the vitamins.
One of the first classes we had on nutrition in nursing school taught us this. Vit C is *best* given in it's original containers..... in fruits and vegetables.

wheeker

Cavy Slave
Ok Ok

Alright,ok,ok

Ill stop using the drops GOD! (just kidding)(not just kidding about not using the drops) I give my pigs hay when I get up and when I get home from school. I get home and put tons in their cage and its gone within 10 minutes or sometimes less. I could go through a whole bag in a day but I assume that you guys all order it in big bails dont you? Im suprised they dont get sick! :sick: Anyway Ill stop and try to convince my parents to order some hay and pellets.

-wheeker

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Are you feeding them any vegetables at all? I don't think you mentioned them. Each of your pigs should be getting at least a cup full of veggies every day. There are several threads with excellent suggestions on what to feed them.

wheeker

Cavy Slave
Yup

Yes I am feeding them veggies. I pour OJ on the "salad" for them do you think that will help ay all? I am making them a hay rack for the cage.

thanks for alll the help
wheeker

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Orange juice has WAY too much sugar for guinea pigs. If you're feeding them the proper veggies, and one of the good brands of pellets already mentioned, you shouldn't need the extra vitamin C at all.

wheeker

Cavy Slave
ok

I dont put OJ on everytime. So I shouldnt even be putting any on? Ok so Ill get new food and more veggies.

thanks for all the help everyone!
wheeker :)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Leave God off the forum. Pigs need unlimited hay and no they can never have too much or get sick from hay unless it's moldy hay. A handful twice a day is not enough.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
No, you shouldn't be putting orange juice on the veggies. If you want to give a small wedge of orange once a week though, that will be fine. Fruits need to be fed in small quantities about 2 times per week.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If you still feel that you need the extra C, try going to a healthfood store and buy plain vitamin C tablets with little or no sugar at all, or Oxbow makes a vitamin C tablet especially for guinea pigs. Most piggers think they're treats, or you can crumble them on some veggies for them to eat.

Also check out this link from guinealynx. It will give you invaluable diet information as well as lists of good veggies and nutrition information for them.
https://www.guinealynx.com/diet.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.