Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New owner

Myska43

Cavy Gazer
Hi..we adopted two adorable male abyssinian piggies last week. I found them on craigslist and they were in a foster home. The woman took great care of them and gave me a large C&C cage that we put together they way it worked for our house. It is 2X4 with a loft and so far they are doing great. I have a few questions though as this is our first experience. We are using fleece which she also gave us. They always have hay-using orchard and getting meadow as well because I am allergic to timothy-, oxbow pellets and salads daily. How much fresh produce do I give them? I think they would eat it all day if allowed. Also I am keeping the food in the loft...what flooring should I use there...also fleece?
Thank you..I just want to do everything right for them.

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Do you have pictures of your cuties?
Pigs should have a cup of veggies a day, with green/red lettuce and bell pepper being the staples. There’s a lot of good information on the nutrition section on what veggies/how often (and of course pigs have different ideas on which veggies are yummiest too.)

I use fleece for my entire cage, including the lofts. However, I only keep the hay in the lofts, and the pellets/water are in the middle on the cage, so my set-up may or may not be best for you. Lots of people create a kitchen area with disposable bedding for the food area since their pigs create the most mess there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.