Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Wheeking when cagemate is gone - happy or distressed?

theblueofnoon

Cavy Slave
So we're now almost two weeks in with Archie and Iggy. The first few days were rough, then I thought they were doing good, then I saw a little cut above Iggy's mouth. BUT in the past 2 or 3 days they seem to be - dare I say it? - settling down. Less chattering, less rumblestrutting, less yawning. They're also popcorning more. Here's the thing: for the past 2 days, when I take Archie out for petting and handfeeding, Iggy goes nuts, wheeking and running around. Last night when Archie was out, Iggy didn't stop wheeking until Archie was back in the cage. (Archie does not do the same when Iggy is out.) Pure speculation, but is that because 1) Iggy is overjoyed to have Archie out of the cage; 2) Iggy knows Archie is getting veggies and wants some, too; or 3) Iggy is distressed that his buddy is gone?

pinky

Cavy Slave
He's probably calling out to him to make sure he's okay. I've seen that behavior with siblings and a mom and her daughter.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
My dominant pig does this whenever one of the others came out, when I had all 4 together and he still does it when his cage mate is out. Have you noticed, the louder he gets the more anxious the other gets?

theblueofnoon

Cavy Slave
My dominant pig does this whenever one of the others came out, when I had all 4 together and he still does it when his cage mate is out. Have you noticed, the louder he gets the more anxious the other gets?

I haven't noticed it yet, but I'll pay more attention tonight if it happens again.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
My boys do that all the time. For mine, it's a mix of 2 and 3. lol

hannahcurl

Cavy Gazer
Definitely 2/3. Fifi freaks out if its storming and i take holdin!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.