PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Ainsley

pepperbelle
02-16-15, 05:40 pm
Hi everyone. Glad I found this forum. I have a lot to learn and I look fwd to getting to know you all.

Meet Ainsley. She is 3 months old. :love:

http://i60.tinypic.com/xbcqxj.jpg

ColinJellybean
02-16-15, 06:14 pm
Ainsley is so cute :)

pepperbelle
02-16-15, 07:14 pm
Thank you! I am looking online at c&c cages as we speak!

I had no idea how bad her store cage was. Ack!

pepperbelle
02-16-15, 07:39 pm
I found this one on ebay and i could keep her in the corner of our living room where she is now...

BaconAndEggs
02-16-15, 08:11 pm
Just a wondering, have you considered getting Ainsley a friend? Guinea pigs are herd animals, and do best with a same-gender cage mate.

Welcome, and Ainsley is so cute!!!

pigmommy89
02-16-15, 08:37 pm
She's beautiful. Her coloring is similar to my Daisy's.

pepperbelle
02-16-15, 08:58 pm
Just a wondering, have you considered getting Ainsley a friend? Guinea pigs are herd animals, and do best with a same-gender cage mate.

Welcome, and Ainsley is so cute!!!

I had not considered a second one until today. I am working on figuring out which cage I am going to get for her, and once I have it all set up, we will very likely go look for a sister for her.

Atm she is living in a seemingly very inadequate pet store cage.

pepperbelle
02-16-15, 09:02 pm
I feel like a 2x4 without a loft would be a better choice than a 2x3 with a 2x1 loft like shown above.

I am having trouble deciding. LOL.

CavieGuy
02-16-15, 09:35 pm
Gorgeous girl

I feel like a 2x4 without a loft would be a better choice than a 2x3 with a 2x1 loft like shown above.

2x4 hands down (bigger horizontal space). You can always add a loft down the line.

pinky
02-16-15, 09:35 pm

I wouldn't recommend that cage. The person who built it is using zip ties on the sides without having grids on the bottom. You'll notice the sides are pulling away from the coroplast and a guinea pig can climb up against the sides, push it away more and then fall or jump into the space between the coroplast and grids. When zip ties are used, a grid bottom needs to be attached to the sides to hold them in place. If you use connectors, you don't need the grids on the bottom because the plastic connectors hold the grids straight so they don't move. Had there been grids on the bottom, it would have been fine. The ramp is dangerous, too, since there are no sides to it. A guinea pig can jump off the top of the ramp and injure itself.

pepperbelle
02-16-15, 10:37 pm
I wouldn't recommend that cage. The person who built it is using zip ties on the sides without having grids on the bottom. You'll notice the sides are pulling away from the coroplast and a guinea pig can climb up against the sides, push it away more and then fall or jump into the space between the coroplast and grids. When zip ties are used, a grid bottom needs to be attached to the sides to hold them in place. If you use connectors, you don't need the grids on the bottom because the plastic connectors hold the grids straight so they don't move. Had there been grids on the bottom, it would have been fine. The ramp is dangerous, too, since there are no sides to it. A guinea pig can jump off the top of the ramp and injure itself.

Ty for the reply and info. :)

i am new to all this lingo so i apologize if i say anything dumb. :) im not 100% what you mean by bottom grids and zip ties...

is is something like this better?
Its sooo $$ though :/ And I still am not sure where I would put something this large in my house yet.

pigmommy89
02-16-15, 10:41 pm
You can build your own a lot cheaper than you can buy one. The grids are available on amazon and through many local stores. I get mine at kmart and I got my coroplast at Lowe's.

pinky
02-17-15, 06:09 am
Ty for the reply and info. :)

i am new to all this lingo so i apologize if i say anything dumb. :) im not 100% what you mean by bottom grids and zip ties...

is is something like this better?
Its sooo $$ though :/ And I still am not sure where I would put something this large in my house yet.

The original photo has plastic cable ties that attaches each grid to the next. When you zip tie them together in a row, the sides will move because the connection is a like a hinge. There should be six grids underneath that cage that attach to the bottom of the sides to keep them from moving away from the tray when a guinea pig jumps up against the sides. It's not a stable cage. If grids were added on the bottom, it would be an extremely sturdy cage; stronger than one with connectors that can fall off when you lift it. The connectors stabilize the sides so the guinea pigs can't move the grids when they jump up against the sides so you don't need grids under the cage. The cage with connectors only needs 12 grids. Between the two cages, the one with connectors is a better cage. If you added 6 grids under the original cage, it would be a good cage if you fixed the ramp. Personally, I don't care for lofts and a 2x4 is better than a 2x3.

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 06:12 am
You can build your own a lot cheaper than you can buy one. The grids are available on amazon and through many local stores. I get mine at kmart and I got my coroplast at Lowe's.

Ok very good to know. Thank you!

pinky
02-17-15, 06:27 am
You can also find grids at Goodwill, garage sales, craigslist, Freecycle. I never buy grids since I've always found them for cheap or free.

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 06:53 am
You can also find grids at Goodwill, garage sales, craigslist, Freecycle. I never buy grids since I've always found them for cheap or free.

Ty! I will call some places and look online today. :)

I work ft and have 2 small children so convenience is probably more important than money. If i can zip in and out of Home Depot and grab some grids fast, that is best!

pinky
02-17-15, 06:58 am
I haven't seen grids at the Home Depot near me but they do carry them at Kmart, Meijers and online at Sears which you can order and pick up at the store. Make sure they're the 9 space across ones and note that the price varies a lot. $20 for 23 is a normal cost to pay for them new but you can often find them on sale for less.

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 07:17 am
Ty! I will check sears and maybe lowes... Kmart is kinda out of the way for me. I wish i didnt have to work all day. I wanna go piggy supply shopping!

ThatGirlMarie
02-17-15, 08:37 am
You can also get them at Bed Bath & Beyond - they were the cheapest I found (even compared to Amazon). They are painful to put together compared to some others I've seen but basically all the reviews on the BB&B website for them are from guinea pig owners. I ended up with three sets actually, because I found a display set in the "as is" section. They help to make a stand to get the cage off the floor (which made a huge difference for our girls) but one pack is more than enough to just get the cage started!

We also bought our coroplast (call it plastic sheeting or they won't know what you mean) at home depot but they don't sell full sheets so you have to make sides a little less than 6" but it isn't a problem for us at all. I used these instructions: http://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 10:04 am
You can also get them at Bed Bath & Beyond - they were the cheapest I found (even compared to Amazon). They are painful to put together compared to some others I've seen but basically all the reviews on the BB&B website for them are from guinea pig owners. I ended up with three sets actually, because I found a display set in the "as is" section. They help to make a stand to get the cage off the floor (which made a huge difference for our girls) but one pack is more than enough to just get the cage started!

We also bought our coroplast (call it plastic sheeting or they won't know what you mean) at home depot but they don't sell full sheets so you have to make sides a little less than 6" but it isn't a problem for us at all. I used these instructions: http://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

Ty! I will check BB&B!

ThatGirlMarie
02-17-15, 10:11 am
It helps to look online first. You can "order" online and pay in store and they'll have the product ready when you arrive. I only say this because the first time I went, they told me they were out of stock and when I came home, I did the order online thing to see and they had them. Then I had to make a second trip. This way, you know they're there and you just walk up to the customer service desk, show them your order, pay, and leave.

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 10:53 am
I am having trouble finding any but I will keep calling around. 2/3 BB&B dont have them. Sears.com has no pick up in store option for this item and i cant get anyone on the phone. Its farther for me but i will call kmart

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 10:55 am
Ugh called 3rd BB&B by me. No luck :( She said they were put on clearance and last one sold last week. Why?? :/

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 11:05 am
Wait are kmart and sears the same company?? Maybe i can do a store pickup! Im on kmart's website and its saying to pick up at sears?

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 11:12 am
Ordered!

W00t! Or should I say... Wheek!

You guys are the best. Ty for all the help and I am sure I will need a lot more!

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 11:17 am
Ok I have a question. I ordered 2 of these. I can use one as a base/shelves correct? And i can probably build a 2x3 or a 2x4 out of this many pieces correct? Its a 2x3 but i can use the "middle pieces" which are not needed for the cage to actually make it longer, correct?

http://m.kmart.com/stor-floor-standing-6-cube-storage-unit/p-010W435219990001P

pinky
02-17-15, 11:46 am
Ok I have a question. I ordered 2 of these. I can use one as a base/shelves correct? And i can probably build a 2x3 or a 2x4 out of this many pieces correct? Its a 2x3 but i can use the "middle pieces" which are not needed for the cage to actually make it longer, correct?

http://m.kmart.com/stor-floor-standing-6-cube-storage-unit/p-010W435219990001P
You should have enough for a 2x4 that's raised up on grids. Since it'll be off the floor, you need grids under the cage to hold the coroplast tray. The cage top, sides and bottom would require 20 grids; 12 around the sides and 8 on the bottom. Depending how you line up the grids underneath the cage to raise it up, you'll probably need 14; 4 along the back, and 10 that run perpendicular to those along the back. 34 total

Before you buy your coroplast, check online to see if you have a Sabic Polymershapes Distributor in your area. They have the lowest prices because they are the global distributor of coroplast which is actually called 4mm polypropylene twinwall plastic.

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 12:00 pm
I dont think i need a top though, right?

Well at any rate i think i have 40 pieces so i should be good!

pinky
02-17-15, 12:01 pm
I dont think i need a top though, right?
Do you have a dog?

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 12:02 pm
Do you have a dog?

Nope!

2 kids - ages almost-6 and almost-9 and they will be taught to not lift the piggies out without me present. Even now with her store cage, they ask permission.

pinky
02-17-15, 12:15 pm
I wouldn't bother with a lid. If you put a lid on, it could fall on the kids if they try and lift it.

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 12:31 pm
Well i took the plunge and got Ainsley a sister. It is the other little girl from her litter that I had fallen in love with at the store where I bought her. This is the pig I fell in love with, but my daughter had already fallen in love with Ainsley. Well now they will be reunited! :)

She is being held until tonight or maybe tomorrow so i have time to build their new home :)

The guy at the store told me that most piggies cannot cohabitate together and I should be believe what I read on the internet... Hmmmm :/

ThatGirlMarie
02-17-15, 12:37 pm
The guy at the store told me that most piggies cannot cohabitate together and I should be believe what I read on the internet... Hmmmm :/

The person at the pet store is an idiot. MOST piggies do better together. It's special cases where they need to be housed alone and sisters from the same litter who shared a cage already will likely be fine. Why would he say that?? Don't THEY house guinea pigs together!

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 01:23 pm
The person at the pet store is an idiot. MOST piggies do better together. It's special cases where they need to be housed alone and sisters from the same litter who shared a cage already will likely be fine. Why would he say that?? Don't THEY house guinea pigs together!

Yes they do house them together but he said they often have to separate adult pigs once they start fighting. I told him "well duh you give them nothing to hide in or play with!" He was like "ya i suppose..."

Idiot.

i am getting frustrated trying to build my girls' new home. :( I finally found the cubes on Kmart/sears but now i am reading that these are an odd size and may not be safe for smaller pigs? Why am i having such bad luck? And i cant find choroplast anywhere. I have called lowes, valu, michaels, joann fabric, hobby lobby.....

By the way here is Ainsley's sister... I cannot wait to go get her!!

http://i59.tinypic.com/2gubj1t.jpg

ThatGirlMarie
02-17-15, 02:11 pm
Did you try Home Depot for coroplast? it might not be called coroplast - try their website, don't call.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/grid-wire-modular-shelving-and-storage-cubes/1016719773?Keyword=wire+cube

These are the ones I have - just order them online or look to see if a store near you has them. At the very least you'll be able to order online and have them delivered (or use Amazon with their free shipping).

Home depot sells a smaller sheet or a pack of full ones.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Plastic-Sheets/N-5yc1vZbrdg

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 02:13 pm
I have now found 2 places w coroplast but they wont sell to the general public! This is sooo frustrating! Why cant i find it anywhere? :(

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 02:13 pm
Did you try Home Depot for coroplast? it might not be called coroplast - try their website, don't call.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/grid-wire-modular-shelving-and-storage-cubes/1016719773?Keyword=wire+cube

These are the ones I have - just order them online or look to see if a store near you has them. At the very least you'll be able to order online and have them delivered (or use Amazon with their free shipping).

Home depot sells a smaller sheet or a pack of full ones.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Plastic-Sheets/N-5yc1vZbrdg

Ok i will look. Ty!

i did call 3 bed bath and beyonds about those shelves and they dont have any.

pinky
02-17-15, 02:21 pm
Are you getting the sibling from a pet store? You'd be better off adopting from a rescue or shelter. This forum is pro adoption due to the large number of guinea pigs that are homeless or euthanized.

As long as the grids have 9 spaces across, they're safe. The "Stor" brand are safe.

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 02:21 pm
Should i cancel my order for the kmart ones? They are not safe? :/ i feel like i am making no progress. I am gonna bring my piggy home tonite or tomorrow and have nowhere to put her :(

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 02:25 pm
Are you getting the sibling from a pet store? You'd be better off adopting from a rescue or shelter. This forum is pro adoption due to the large number of guinea pigs that are homeless or euthanized.

As long as the grids have 9 spaces across, they're safe. The "Stor" brand are safe.

Ok awesome thank you!

i checked petfinder, the ASPCA and Craig's list for pigs plus your resources above and found no females near me except for a pair of 2 and one was a biter. Not bringing a biter into our home with my small children. Also i already have 1 and am not looking to bring in 2 more, just 1 more. Thats why I am getting her littermate/sister as our second pig.

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 02:32 pm
Oooo i found a place that will sell me 4x8 sheets! Success! :)

ThatGirlMarie
02-17-15, 02:38 pm
I know they told you they didn't have them at BB&B but did you look on their WEBSITE or just call? They have bad customer service and I only got what I wanted when I did it all online. Either ordering for delivery or for in-store pick up. I actually went in person and was told they didn't have them. Online was my best option.

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 02:39 pm
I looked online and specifically asked for that product. All 3 by me said they didnt carry them when i called. I could stop on my way home from work and look, but i already ordered and paid for the ones at sears.

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 02:42 pm
I think i am hitting every obstacle with building this cage. I just checked my sears order and it wont be ready to pick up for 3 days. What the heck. :(

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 02:46 pm
Maybe i can make a makeshift cage for her until their new nice one is ready for them in a few days?

would a very large box work temporarily? Or could she live in the smaller cage w Ainsley for a few days? The pigs are still quite small. Pls let me know your thoughts

pepperbelle
02-17-15, 04:29 pm
I finally finally finally found a place that sells coroplast. Not only did it cost me an arm and a leg ($20 each for 2 4x8 sheets) but it wont fit in my car so i have to pay a delivery charge too. I am starting to question if this was really the best way to go... Oye.

pepperbelle
02-18-15, 08:39 pm
Meet Julia - Ainsley's gray and white sister. :)

And pls feel free to critique my first attempt at a c&c cage. I found it to be a LOT of work. Cutting and folding the coro was a nightmare and took a long time. And the yard of fleece I bought did not fit well - i had to cut it and overlap 2 pieces. I am going to stop at JoAnn Fabric again tomorrow and see if I can get a bigger piece. I attempted a forest in the corner. Its pretty cute but I think I may make a new one with strips on all 4 sides of the grid so they feel more hidden. And i ordered a fleece snuggle bag for the girls too from Etsy - waiting for it to arrive. I think I need something different for the hay. Ainsley has not really been into the hay much since i brought her home but Julia cannot get enough of it and keeps climbing right inside it. Not sure how safe that is, plus I think i need something larger. Ainsley seems a lot more interested in it now that she sees Julia munching away on it. Any helpful feedback on any of this? Thanks! :)

http://i60.tinypic.com/bit3wi.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/t7mmbd.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/xf0w8l.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/10okwf9.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/depu14.jpg

cotinkandy1
02-19-15, 09:39 am
Nice job I am sure the girls will love their new home.

ThatGirlMarie
02-19-15, 09:51 am
Looks pretty good! I'd only say add more bedding to the kitchen area because they shouldn't be walking on the Coro. My piggies won't even go onto hard wood or linoleum during floor time (they stick very strictly to their towels and blankets). You need something under the fleece too - in case you don't already have something. If it's in the budget, I recommend pre-made cage liners but I'm about to attempt to make my own so it's possible. I use waterproof bed pads (two would fit a 2x4 cage) under my fleece and sometimes add a towel on top of them but I'm going to use uhaul padding in the ones I make. It's a popular absorbent middle layer.

also: Jay matters. My girls arrived with a bag of pet store hay and I ordered from Small Pet Select (5lbs for 24$ and a code for free shipping) and they LOVE IT. Young piggies need alfalfa hay and I'm not sure if SPS has it but they've become more active, happier, and eat it like nuts (which is good!).

Aisnley and Julia are beautiful little girls! :)

pepperbelle
02-19-15, 10:08 am
Looks pretty good! I'd only say add more bedding to the kitchen area because they shouldn't be walking on the Coro. My piggies won't even go onto hard wood or linoleum during floor time (they stick very strictly to their towels and blankets). You need something under the fleece too - in case you don't already have something. If it's in the budget, I recommend pre-made cage liners but I'm about to attempt to make my own so it's possible. I use waterproof bed pads (two would fit a 2x4 cage) under my fleece and sometimes add a towel on top of them but I'm going to use uhaul padding in the ones I make. It's a popular absorbent middle layer.

also: Jay matters. My girls arrived with a bag of pet store hay and I ordered from Small Pet Select (5lbs for 24$ and a code for free shipping) and they LOVE IT. Young piggies need alfalfa hay and I'm not sure if SPS has it but they've become more active, happier, and eat it like nuts (which is good!).

Aisnley and Julia are beautiful little girls! :)

Thank you!

I have hard wood pellets under the fleece - one 40lb bag's worth.

I got got our hay from smallpetselect. Its Timothy hay and they also have those alfalfa cubes to munch on. Those are OK right? Tbh tho I am kinda disappointed in the hay I got from sps. My coworker has a farm and grows her own hay and she told me that my hay is "good but not the best." She also could not BELIEVE what i paid for it. She said once i need more she will bring me a box of "the good stuff" from her farm. :)

pepperbelle
02-19-15, 10:12 am
Also i am not sure I like the carefresh in this setup. I am probably going to use up my bag and then try something else. Maybe some kind of litter or something? The care fresh flies all over the place and when they move fast and kick it out of the way it does make bare patches. I originally tried making the litterbox 3" high all the way around but it seemed too high for them so i cut it down on the one side. But now the carefresh makes an even bigger mess.

pinky
02-19-15, 10:28 am
I finally finally finally found a place that sells coroplast. Not only did it cost me an arm and a leg ($20 each for 2 4x8 sheets) but it wont fit in my car so i have to pay a delivery charge too. I am starting to question if this was really the best way to go... Oye.

They can roll and tape it so it'll fit in your car. It won't roll tightly but they can roll it with about 20" overlap so it can easily fit in a back seat. I have a small car and can get it in there. One place with roll two together. The other will only roll one piece at a time.

pepperbelle
02-19-15, 10:31 am
They can roll and tape it so it'll fit in your car. It won't roll tightly but they can roll it with about 20" overlap so it can easily fit in a back seat. I have a small car and can get it in there. One place with roll two together. The other will only roll one piece at a time.

There was no way we could get it to roll. Its too thick.

is some coro thicker than others?

ColinJellybean
02-19-15, 11:05 am
I think you have done a brilliant job, they will love their new cage! I struggled when I built our c and c cage too, the coroplast is really unwieldy and I found scoring straight lines quite difficult. It is worth it in the end though and my pigs are so much happier in it.

Ainsley and Julia are so cute too! :)

theblueofnoon
02-19-15, 11:12 am
The cage looks great! Those two girls are going to be loved, I bet. Yes, some coroplast is thicker than others, but I think standard is 4mm. Did you consider cutting it down to size at the store where you bought it? I got my sheets from Home Depot - they call it corrugated plastic there - they were 72 x 36 and I was able to fold them over once and fit them into the trunk of my Honda Civic.

pepperbelle
02-19-15, 11:30 am
The cage looks great! Those two girls are going to be loved, I bet. Yes, some coroplast is thicker than others, but I think standard is 4mm. Did you consider cutting it down to size at the store where you bought it? I got my sheets from Home Depot - they call it corrugated plastic there - they were 72 x 36 and I was able to fold them over once and fit them into the trunk of my Honda Civic.

When I bought the coro at the store, I did not know the exact measurements I needed. I only knew approximately how much. I did not have the grids assembled yet. Looking back I wish I had known exactly the specific dimensions so I could have had them cut it for me. That definitely would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation and the edges would look nicer too. Oh well... Live and learn!

pepperbelle
02-19-15, 11:30 am
Thank you, everyone!

ThatGirlMarie
02-19-15, 01:06 pm
I brought my giant sheet of coro on the NYC subway...:rolleyes:

Also, I've heard good things about wood pellets under the fleece - hope it works! I have no idea about the alfalfa squares - but I know they should get alfalfa hay. If they're pre-made, they probably need something better. Pet store quality anything isn't really great for piggies. Otherwise, I have no idea about them :/ straight up alfalfa hay is what I have read. There should be some info in the medical or pregnancy forums with diets for young pigs.

pepperbelle
02-19-15, 01:23 pm
I brought my giant sheet of coro on the NYC subway...:rolleyes:

Also, I've heard good things about wood pellets under the fleece - hope it works! I have no idea about the alfalfa squares - but I know they should get alfalfa hay. If they're pre-made, they probably need something better. Pet store quality anything isn't really great for piggies. Otherwise, I have no idea about them :/ straight up alfalfa hay is what I have read. There should be some info in the medical or pregnancy forums with diets for young pigs.

Thank you!

The alfalfa chunks I am giving them are like this - not sure of my brand tho. I am at work and cannot look at the bag atm.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2cgy2yq.jpg

My coworker may have some hay she can give me (alfalfa hay) too, or I will buy or order some.

Thanks!

pepperbelle
04-25-15, 07:33 am
Hi again everyone! We just adopted a third lil piggy. I am excited to introduce Ainsley's newest sister, Piccolo!

http://i60.tinypic.com/20f849h.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/14ddra9.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/102v5l0.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/wbth1h.jpg

I love her colors in the sunlight...!

http://i62.tinypic.com/33krm78.jpgv

3littlepigz
04-25-15, 08:45 am
Piccolo!!! Love it! Fabulous name! Wow, everything is looking fantastic! How are they getting along? Did you quarantine Piccolo before introducing to the others? This allows time to make sure that Piccolo is healthy. Would love to see an "overall" shot of your cage now! I just found your thread and read through each post like a novel! Lol!

3littlepigz
04-25-15, 09:09 am
I'm guessing Piccolo is a male...by the name. Is he neutered?

pepperbelle
04-25-15, 09:16 am
Piccolo!!! Love it! Fabulous name! Wow, everything is looking fantastic! How are they getting along? Did you quarantine Piccolo before introducing to the others? This allows time to make sure that Piccolo is healthy. Would love to see an "overall" shot of your cage now! I just found your thread and read through each post like a novel! Lol!

Hi, thanks! :) Yes I know all about quarantining but I chose not to. Piccolo has been living w a foster family since before Christmas and she has had no health concerns. Her foster mom said she had a 100% clean bill of health at her last vet check. She lived alone at the foster home.

Here is their cage at the moment - it is always a work in progress!

http://i62.tinypic.com/1442nly.jpg

The only thing different since I took this pic is see where that red pillow is on the bottom? There is a litter pan there now, with extra hay.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2znnwh3.jpg

3littlepigz
04-25-15, 11:39 am
Love the cage! How reassuring to know that she has a clean bill of health from the vet! Whew! You should be quite pleased with yourself after all of the back and forth and work that it took to get that lovely habitat together!

It's easy to fall hard for these lovely creatures, isn't it??? Yours are obviously spoiled!

pepperbelle
04-25-15, 12:14 pm
I'm guessing Piccolo is a male...by the name. Is he neutered?

Not sure why'd you'd assume that? She is very much a girl. :)

3littlepigz
04-25-15, 12:17 pm
Sorry about that. Figured a girl would be Piccola...letting my Spanish grammar rules influence me. lol.

pepperbelle
04-25-15, 12:18 pm
Love the cage! How reassuring to know that she has a clean bill of health from the vet! Whew! You should be quite pleased with yourself after all of the back and forth and work that it took to get that lovely habitat together!

It's easy to fall hard for these lovely creatures, isn't it??? Yours are obviously spoiled!

Thank you! I love them soo much! :) Ainsley is still maintaining her dominant position in the cage but all 3 are getting along quite well!

http://i59.tinypic.com/2a94fns.jpg

pepperbelle
04-25-15, 12:20 pm
Sorry about that. Figured a girl would be Piccola...letting my Spanish grammar rules influence me. lol.

A piccolo is a little flute :) Which is what she sounds like hehe.

Amanda Marie
04-25-15, 01:01 pm
They are beautiful, i love their names, and your cage is great. I read this whole forum and your "story" to getting them is so fun and i was on the edge of my chair when you were looking for grids and coro. Beautiful.

pepperbelle
04-25-15, 04:19 pm
They are beautiful, i love their names, and your cage is great. I read this whole forum and your "story" to getting them is so fun and i was on the edge of my chair when you were looking for grids and coro. Beautiful.

Thank you! :)

pepperbelle
04-25-15, 07:45 pm
I made them a new hay rack tonight too, since I moved their smaller one to the first floor.

http://i58.tinypic.com/296g5g1.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/2mhu04x.jpg

3littlepigz
04-25-15, 08:52 pm
Nice! How are you anchoring it? binder clips?

pepperbelle
04-25-15, 09:14 pm
Nice! How are you anchoring it? binder clips?

Zip ties :)

pepperbelle
05-18-15, 01:40 pm
Well... this thread is about to get longer yet again! :D I adopted 2 new beautiful ladies over the weekend to join my little herd. They are a mama/baby pair. They were surrendered to a rescue near me about 3 months ago, along with the baby's dad. Twist is a broken lilac tan American and little Marshmallow is a white teddy mix. (Her father was a saffron teddy) Twist is 1 year old and Marshmallow is about 4 months old. :)

So, without further ado, I am excited to introduce Twist and her baby Marshmallow!

Twist
http://i57.tinypic.com/2lwqgb4.jpg

Marshmallow
http://i62.tinypic.com/znwo6f.jpg

Another of Marshmallow
http://i59.tinypic.com/2cxj1pl.jpg

My 5 gorgeous ladies (from L to R ~ Marshmallow, Piccolo, Julia, Twist, and Ainsley)
http://i57.tinypic.com/v3lz06.jpg

Another group pic (from L to R ~ Piccolo, Twist, Ainsley, Marshmallow, Julia)
http://i61.tinypic.com/jb09ar.jpg

My beautiful girls
http://i60.tinypic.com/34nozn7.jpg

Twist & Ainsley
http://i57.tinypic.com/2ahy1pu.jpg

Piccolo & Marshmallow
http://i57.tinypic.com/xpq4hj.jpg

Their newly expanded piggy condo :)
http://i60.tinypic.com/213mzxz.jpg

80s_piggies
05-18-15, 01:48 pm
Stop it right now, I'm in piggy heaven!!!! How did you do your fleece forest? It looks so tidy and secure!

pepperbelle
05-18-15, 01:51 pm
Stop it right now, I'm in piggy heaven!!!! How did you do your fleece forest? It looks so tidy and secure!

Thanks! The fleece strips are just woven through the grid openings and they hang down on both sides. So picture each strip being about 28" long, hanging down 14" on each side. There are 9 strips going one directions and 9 more criss-crossing them. Does that make sense?