Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Traveling Tips -by plane

rau91

Cavy Slave
Hey Everyone!

I shall be graduating this May, currently studying in PA, but will go for my masters in Canada...Victoria (British Colombia). I would be traveling by plane and my piggies (2) are obviously coming with me. Thus, I need all the advice I can get when it comes to traveling with my piggies, especially by plane. I already researched and found a direct flight from Newark to Vancouver (6 hours and 30min) via AirCanada; they have excellent pets as carry on traveling policies. I have a pet carrier that adheres to their allowed maximum size for carry on and I am willing to spend and do whatever is necessary to make their flight less stressful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Moreover, would there be any forms or documents I'd have to get/fill out?

Thank you

rau91

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the prompt response. Upon looking on their pet policies there is no mention of restricting animal types as much as simply posing an overall limit on size of carrier and weight. I shall call them and ask them to confirm :)

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the prompt response. Upon looking on their pet policies there is no mention of restricting animal types as much as simply posing an overall limit on size of carrier and weight. I shall call them and ask them to confirm :)

After you get your confirmation, request it in writing that Guinea pigs are allowed just in case you run into problems when you check in. Sometimes employees don't know all the rules that corporate hq does.

Also contact customs and their confirmation in writing. Make sure you get the names and contact information to everyone you are talking with about the policies.

rau91

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the responses. I will definitely get everything in writing and all the names from everyone I deal with.
Oh man, I shall call AirCanada and see what they have to say about guinea pigs, hopefully it will be ok to travel with them. I would most likely be traveling sometime around july to go to canada-: so i have a couple of months to plan this out and cover all my basis.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
This year I can't travel anywhere. My piggy is sick and I have to visit a veterinarian pretty often. Hope it'll recover soon. The only thing I can do is watch beautiful beaches at home online. Like this at Naples https://worldcams.tv/united-states/naples/beach

I hope your little one gets better soon. I know exactly what you're going through. But then again, I won't go on vacation at all as long as I have piggies. Reason being that I don't trust anyone to look after them the same way I do!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Guinea Pig Papa, I feel exactly like you. My husband and I haven't taken a vacation in years, except for a few day trips. We miss traveling but we feel that the joy our guinea pigs give us more than make up for our loss. We've thought about hiring a pet sitter, but like you, we just don't trust anyone to care for them. They're complicated little critters with many needs and unlike a dog or cat the average pet sitter isn't familiar with their nutritional needs or how to recognize when one of them is ill.

You hit the nail right on the head, @Kelsie. I have gone away for a day or two, but only if my wife is home to look after the boys. Even then, I worry when I'm gone. The joy I have with my babies far outweighs any vacation I could have.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.