Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast How much of a lip on Coroplast Kitchen area?

theblueofnoon

Cavy Slave
I tried making a 1x2 kitchen area last night for my 2x4 cage. The sides are 5" and the lip is 2". Aspen bedding went everywhere. Not just past the lip, but over the sides. I don't think the aspen bedding will work regardless, but if I switch to pellets, how high should the lip be?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
For my kitchen the sides are 4 inches and the front lip is 1.75 inches.

I hated using aspen in it as it tracked everywhere and is a pain to get off the fleece. I also tried wood pellets in the kitchen and they were bad, the pellets turned to dust and tracked everywhere on the fleece. What I use now is Yesterday's news paper cat litter. The paper pellets are very absorbent, they don't crumble and everything usually stays in the kitchen area.

Lilpiggies

Cavy Slave
My kitchen is 3 1/2inches and I have a small U cutout that is 3 inches. They don't have a problem getting over. I used to put a bridge so they could get in easier if they wanted but they both didn't use it much.

For the most part the shavings covered with dry nest stays in pretty well. Sometimes when they race through the kitchen some will fly out but it mostly stays in.

theblueofnoon

Cavy Slave
My kitchen is 3 1/2inches and I have a small U cutout that is 3 inches. They don't have a problem getting over. I used to put a bridge so they could get in easier if they wanted but they both didn't use it much.

For the most part the shavings covered with dry nest stays in pretty well. Sometimes when they race through the kitchen some will fly out but it mostly stays in.

Lilpiggies - what is "dry nest"?

Lilpiggies

Cavy Slave
Lilpiggies - what is "dry nest"?

Oops didn't even notice I put that. Dry nest is horse shavings I used to use for my horses but I meant to type care fresh..lol:eek:

I use mini flake shavings with care fresh on top packed down.

theblueofnoon

Cavy Slave
I have two litter boxes and the sides are about 5", give or take a little. The smaller of the litter boxes has NO lip on it and they hop in/out quite easily......both being adult cavies. I began by using disposable litter boxes with a doorway cut in it. As they became accustomed to the litter box, I gradually raised the height of the "lip".

As an aside, I too absolutely loathe shavings of any sort. If you have male cavies, they have a nasty habit of getting caught in the penile sheath or in the anal sac and causing problems. I'm very fond of Planet Petco Small Animal Crumbled Litter https://www.petco.com/product/114718/Planet-Petco-Crumbled-Paper-Small-Animal-Bedding.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch It is superb at absorbing waste, controls odor, and is quite reasonably priced. The only drawback is that it has baking soda as a component and the dust from that gets all over my drapes. Small price to pay.

Thanks spy9doc. So you're saying your guineas can hop the 5" side, then? Also, looks like this product might be similar to the Petco. I wonder if it's any good:
https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-News-1...8&refRID=02G9X4E3E1WVT6934R8A#customerReviews

theblueofnoon

Cavy Slave
Maybe someone who has used it will come along and add their opinion. There is a similar product called "Yesterday's News" (I believe that you choose the "original") that some here on the Forum like. I have probably tried just about every brand of litter locally available (including wood pellets) and liked none of them except the Planet Petco that I referenced.

In the end, it's just a matter of trial-and-error and personal opinion.

Sorry to pick your brain, spy9doc, but can I ask about your setup? What do you use in the rest of your cage? Fleece? I'm new to this and feeling frustrated with bedding. I'm considering trying wood pellets and shavings throughout.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have three cages and the lip height is different on each of them: 1.25", 2" & 2.25". I prefer the 2". I made the sides and back of the tray higher on one cage and I like that better than the low lip around all the sides. It makes a sturdier tray and keeps the coroplast tray under it cleaner. I have a guinea that likes to mound poop in the corner and the higher sides keeps it tidy.....Unscented Yesterday's News for cats (not small pets) is my favorite bedding. It's a little heavier, very absorbent and doesn't crumble.

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
I use a pet store cage as their hay box, and my two piggies have no problem hopping in and out as they please.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x5 with a 2x2 offset loft. I use fleece throughout the cage with two litter boxes, one up and one down. My kids are pretty good about using the litter boxes which keeps the cage reasonably clean. I have pads under both cardboard hideys because they tend to sleep there and are too lazy to get up during the night (or at least I interpret it that way). I change out those pads when they become dirty/smelly and can generally go a week between complete cage changes. I turn the liners
over midweek, spray them with Cage Clean, and get more time out if them

omg.... your babies are so adorable!!! and what a castle!

pinky

Cavy Slave
So precious..... snuggle bunnies....

theblueofnoon

Cavy Slave
I went out last night and picked up some of the Planet Petco crumbled paper bedding. I like it better than the Aspen definitely (seriously, I'm not sure what that stuff is good for), but it's still pretty fluffy and flying out everywhere. I think I need to either make the cage sides higher or try pellets - or both. I wonder how the Yesterday's News Pellets compare to wood pellets - Pinky, have you tried both?

spy9doc - Ah, Maya's yours! I had seen lots of pictures of her when I was searching for information about Texels. I hadn't put two and two together. She's so adorable - she's part of the reason I decided to get our Texel, Archie.

Thanks for the compliment! Means a lot coming from you. Now you can see what I'm describing when I refer to the location of my cage in my small home office. They have taken over roughly a third of the room. Below if one of my favorite recent pics of both the kids, Maya whining, and Maya's summer haircut.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
I have a 2in lip on my pigs litter pans. I use stove pellets with hay on top. A bit of the pellets get on the fleece once they break down but only right outside the litter pan. Hay does get on the fleece but its easy to clean up.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Yesterday's news is much better than wood pellets in my opinion.
I've used both in my kitchen, the wood pellets turn to dust and stick all over the fleece. Yesterday's news doesn't crumble and is heavy enough to not be flung around. It's very absorbent and helps with odor control as well!

theblueofnoon

Cavy Slave
Sallyvh, I noticed when I picked up the planet petco crumbled bedding that they also make paper pellets. I wonder if those are equivalent to Yesterday's News.
Yesterday's news is much better than wood pellets in my opinion.
I've used both in my kitchen, the wood pellets turn to dust and stick all over the fleece. Yesterday's news doesn't crumble and is heavy enough to not be flung around. It's very absorbent and helps with odor control as well!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
They should be very similar. I know there is a fresh news paper pellet for small animals. You shouldn't be worried about getting a bedding that is specific for small animals though, as the paper cat litter is pretty much the same thing and is cheaper per pound.

theblueofnoon

Cavy Slave
That piggy nap is so cute. Haven't seen that yet, but Archie does rest his chin on the floor when he sleeps. He looks strangely dog-like. He's a rescue piggie. I've had him for a week now. His foster mom wasn't sure of his background - he's probably 8-12 months old and she knows he has been through a lot of owners already, including a summer camp for kids. He's shy - he'll let me hold him for a bit, but soon wants back in his cage. My other piggie, Iggy, is more dominant. They were fighting a lot, but I think Archie is accepting his role as the second piggie. Only in the cage, though! He's definitely going to be my buddy. I haven't taken any pictures of him myself - that's a goal for this weekend - but the following were ones taken by his foster mom (going to try to post a pic from my album on here, hopefully it works):

I have had cavies on/off for around 30 years and have always had Abyssinians. I just love everything about them from their long lean athletic body, strong legs, inquisitiveness, and most of all, the intelligence. I set out on a mission three years ago to get an Aby female for Chester. I had made contact with several people who were showing at this event in PA and decided to drive nearly three hours to come home with a little sow.

Long story short, I couldn't find what I wanted and was about to leave empty-handed when I was introduced to Maya. I took one look at this face.........and was smitten.

Of course you surely have seen the "piggy nap"? She will sleep on her back in my lap like this.

Never having had a Texel previously, I have nothing to compare her with insofar as personality, body, etc. Can you tell me about Archie and post a pic?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.