PDA

View Full Version : BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! pet smart .

momacavy
10-13-05, 05:09 am
I just wanted to shout out to all of you. I just rescued a nother poor pig from petsmart. Got her home it has been abt. two weeks, and i think she is pregnet. This is my second debocal with petsmart. Any advice?????????:sad: :?:

cavy-cool-crazy
10-13-05, 10:24 am
I know it feels like you are rescuing them but when you think about it you're not. For every pig you buy, another pig takes it's place, meaning that no matter how many piggies you buy from pet stores there will always be more to follow.

If you suspect she is pregnant, take her to the vet and get her checked over. You're not keeping her near your other pig(s) are you?

As for Petsmart, the only thing I can say is to stay well away from them and don't buy anything from their stores.

LuvMyPiggers
10-13-05, 12:13 pm
My advice is no matter how bad you feel for them, don't buy them. The fact is, you aren't rescuing them.

C&R5567
10-13-05, 12:35 pm
Exactly, DON'T buy animals from Petsmart. For that matter why are you shopping there anyhow? I don't get people.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM ANY PET STORE THAT SELLS ANIMALS!

Piglet
10-13-05, 02:10 pm
Firstly, this isn't even the right section to post in. It is pretty obvious that this is the floor time section :) Sorry to sound like a nag....

You need to re phrase your post - you are not rescuing a pig. Infact you are doing the total opposite. Creating a space for another pig to live a life of hell. Nice.... Your money is rewarding the pet store and indirectly showing that what they are doing is ok. You need to stay well clear from there. If you knew you got into a pickle the first time round, why the heck did you return and go through it all again? I have no sympathy for you - we all know pet stores are horrid places that don't give a poo about their animals. You know that they keep their sexes together.

Anywho I suppose there is no point of me "shouting" at you - the deed is done now and I hope you have learnt your lesson for the future :) Don't buy from pet stores since you are contributing to the cruelty. Good luck with the pregnancy. Oh and go to a vet to give her the once over.

Guinea_Gal
10-13-05, 02:39 pm
I do agree with you piglet, but that was a bit harsh. At least the pigs she saved will live a better life, and also, i am sure momacavy won't shop there again anyway.

Susan9608
10-13-05, 03:26 pm
Didn't seem to learn her lesson the first time .... as this is the "second debocal" she's had with Petsmart. Why should this time be any different?

Ly&Pigs
10-13-05, 06:38 pm
Very sound advice is to STOP buying at petstores and go find a piggie from a rescue that needs a home. You can't rescue a pig from a petstore. The one you "bought" will be replaced by more. You also may have condemned a pig in a shelter that needed a home with your actions of purchasing another pig at PetNotSoSmart.

She is probably pregnant and may have mites and could possibly be ill as well. A vet visit with a good exotics vet is in order.

amyjane
10-13-05, 08:15 pm
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM ANY PET STORE THAT SELLS ANIMALS!

I don't know about everyone else, but this usually isn't possible for me. All of the pet stores in my area also sell pets. I use certain products (like Carefresh) that I can only get in one pet store in my area, which happens to be Petco. We should try to be more understanding and not so harsh. I'm sure she meant well with her intentions.

Funnygpigs
10-13-05, 08:34 pm
This is a anti-petstore forum. If you tell people that you buy a pig from a petstore, you are going to receive educational comments. I dont think anyone should be mean, but educating is going to be done!

Please, rescue from a pig rescue or shelter next time. for every pig you buy from a petstore, it will be replaced with two more. It is really hard for rescues to place pigs in homes, because everyone keeps buying from the petstore. I am sorry, but I have had pigs that needed homes (and currently do), If people all went to rescues instead, there would not be unwanted animals. When you buy from a petstore, you are incouraging breeders to make more pigs.

DocDolittle
10-13-05, 08:34 pm
^ I know what you mean. I live in the suburbs, and we have one family owned business that breeds and sells pigs, petco, petsmart, and pet supplies plus. Frankly, these are the only places I can go, and they all sell guinea pigs. I try to go to the family owned one, as the pigs seem to be in good shape, but I still hate to do it.

Funnygpigs
10-13-05, 08:36 pm
Order online instead? Just an idea. Maybe get your parents to drive to the next town. Tell them why, and ask them to support your cause?

Susan9608
10-13-05, 10:43 pm
There are many ways around using pet stores that sell animals, if someone is just *willing* to do a little extra work. When people say that they HAVE to shop at a pet store that sells animals, it's usually because it's the only pet store close to them, or the only one that carries a certain product. Those aren't reasons - they are excuses. And what those excuses say is that someone's convenience is much more important to them than the principle.

And you know what? That's fine. If someone's convenience is what's most important to them, that's their choice and and if they can live with it, then who the hell am I to condemn anyone for it? But people should at least be honest and up front about it, instead of trying to hide behind these excuses of why they absolutely HAVE to shop at pet stores that sell animals. In this day and age, what with the internet and online shopping, no one is forced to shop at a pet store that sells animals ... except, perhaps, children.

A child, whom has no access to transportation or money, really has no choice and must rely on a parent or guardian to provide them with transportation and money. So, if a child's parent isn't willing to shop anywhere except a pet store that sells animals, then the child cannot be blamed. If a child knows better, that child should attempt to educate and enlighten his/her parents, but in the end, it's still the parents' choice.

I"m sorry, but saying someone has the best of intentions just doesn't cut it. Good intentions aren't good enough.

cavynut!!!
10-13-05, 10:50 pm
For me my mom hates ordering online and the shipping is usally really expensive to Canada. We Already drive about one hour to get to the nearest pet selling store (Petsmart). There are some close non-pet selling ones but they sell like barely any stuff thats good for guinea pigs but they do sell some cool hidey houses. So if you have anyway for me to get my stuff I'm perfectly open for suggestions. I'll be ordering online when im older no matter what the cost. Why cant my mom spoil them to the highest level possible. My guinea pigs and I are so misunderstood.

Ly&Pigs
10-13-05, 11:01 pm
I buy two things at my local mom and pop petstore. I am not going to lie about it. I get my pellets there and I get my shavings for the gerbils and hamster there. I do get them for what the woman who owns the shop pays for them so she isn't making money from me. It probably really is more for convenience and the fact that I don't have to pay exorbitant shipping costs and it entitles me to spoil the pigs with more veggies because I don't pay shipping.

rabbitsncavyluv
10-14-05, 12:00 am
Can you see if the stores closer will special order you anything or carry some items? If enough people request or buy, they will stock it.

smoot
10-14-05, 01:45 am
I don't know of any pet supply stores on my island in Hawaii that doesn't sell animals. They all have fish and mice, at the very least. Shipping here is outrageous, as most places only ship UPS or FedEx, which means a shipping fee of at least $20 regardless of what I buy.

I get my Oxbow from Petland. Yes, the evil Petland. 5 lbs of Oxbow pellet costs less than $6.00 online but costs about $25.00 for shipping via UPS Ground (which takes 12 days) to Honolulu.

Kleenmama quoted me $30 for 9 lbs of hay. $9 for hay and $21 for shipping via USPS.

I'm not a wealthy person. Every dollar saved helps. I can't afford to pay $31 for 5 lbs of pellet. I think my furry kids benefit more if I pay the $10 it costs for 5 lbs of Oxbow locally and spend the rest on fresh veg (market prices are $1.99/lb for bell peppers, $1.19/lb for romaine when it's on sale).

So Susan9608, what do you think I should do? Should I completely eschew pet stores and feed my kids the crap food Walmart sells (Hartz 8-in-1 for dinner?) Maybe cut back on their veggies? Maybe I can skip the vet visits ($120 for check-ups for three g-pigs, there is no such thing as group discounts for exotics here).

I'm not forced to shop at a petstore. I have an obligation to my pigs; they are mine and I am responsible for their health. If that means buying from a petstore, I'd do that rather than compromise their well-being.

I guess I'm just one of those people who only have "excuses", but unless you want to help me with my bills and expenses, I'd rather not have someone accuse me of not having principles.

amyjane
10-14-05, 05:42 am
It's not a matter of excuses or even convenience. I'm a professional student living off of the money I make during my 8 week summer break. Paying an extra $20 to have something shipped to me, when I can drive down the street to get it just isn't an option, because every penny counts. I don't know of a single pet store in a 50 mile radius that doesn't sell pets. We all do what we have to do.

Ly&Pigs
10-14-05, 10:56 am
We all do what we have to do.
Exactly. Not everyone has tons of extra money laying around to spend on high shipping costs. I have two feed stores in town and the one mom and pop petstore. I have asked both feed stores about ordering me shavings (KD pine or aspen) and my pellets. Since they don't normally stock those items and no one else in town seems to need them, they won't do it so I get them from the petstore. I get my hay at the feedstore and they also carry ivermectin.

Piglet
10-14-05, 01:12 pm
I do agree with you piglet, but that was a bit harsh. At least the pigs she saved will live a better life, and also, i am sure momacavy won't shop there again anyway.

I wasn't harsh :cheeky:

Yes, the pigs that she has now have a good life but what about the ones that are going to replace them? What about them

She won't shop there? She's just bought pigs from there on two occasions!

Funnygpigs
10-14-05, 01:35 pm
Ditto! I agree with you piglet. I understand some cases are the exception, but most people do have choices they can make. Buying pelettes at the feed store does not compare to buying the pig!

I wasn't harsh :cheeky:

Yes, the pigs that she has now have a good life but what about the ones that are going to replace them? What about them

She won't shop there? She's just bought pigs from there on two occasions!

happimommaof2
10-14-05, 01:49 pm
My opinion instead of getting onto her and being so rude not all of ya'll are but there is a couple that was pretty rude, you need to show her what she is doing wrong and explain. I thought the exact same way heck I think it was yesterday but then there was a couple of people on here that explained to me why I was thinking wrong and now I look at "rescuing" guinea pigs from certain places rather than other places differently. All I am saying is dont be so mean, maybe she feels what she is doing, is the right thing and heck there is even two sides to that yes she is doing right by the pig, but yet she is also doing wrong by other piggies, you just need to explain.. And hopefully noone takes this all the wrong way just voicing my opinoin (sp?) Actually "tough love" is what made me see the errors of my ways, but there is a way to do that with out coming off as self righteous. Mind you I am not saying that all of ya'll are sounding that way just a couple.
Amanda

Ly&Pigs
10-14-05, 03:12 pm
"Tough love" is what we are trying to accomplish here. Beating around the bush and making sweet posts isn't going to help. Being brutally honest will.

DocDolittle
10-14-05, 03:24 pm
There are many ways around using pet stores that sell animals, if someone is just *willing* to do a little extra work. When people say that they HAVE to shop at a pet store that sells animals, it's usually because it's the only pet store close to them, or the only one that carries a certain product. Those aren't reasons - they are excuses. And what those excuses say is that someone's convenience is much more important to them than the principle.

And you know what? That's fine. If someone's convenience is what's most important to them, that's their choice and and if they can live with it, then who the hell am I to condemn anyone for it? But people should at least be honest and up front about it, instead of trying to hide behind these excuses of why they absolutely HAVE to shop at pet stores that sell animals. In this day and age, what with the internet and online shopping, no one is forced to shop at a pet store that sells animals ... except, perhaps, children.

A child, whom has no access to transportation or money, really has no choice and must rely on a parent or guardian to provide them with transportation and money. So, if a child's parent isn't willing to shop anywhere except a pet store that sells animals, then the child cannot be blamed. If a child knows better, that child should attempt to educate and enlighten his/her parents, but in the end, it's still the parents' choice.

I"m sorry, but saying someone has the best of intentions just doesn't cut it. Good intentions aren't good enough.

Actually, no, I don't have means of transportation myself, because I don't even have my permit yet. Even if I wanted to I couldn't drive 30 miles away for pig stuff because, guess what, it would be against the law! And yes, I've tried to talk to my parents about shipping things, and we've also confronted our family owned store about breeding pigs. Guess what: My parents will not be won over. Of course I'll continue to try to win them over, but it won't happen. My father, bless his soul, will never pay the shipping charges or the gas bills to get something from a non-animal selling store. Until I can drive, it's just not possible.

And I'm sorry, who gave you the right to point fingers at people and say convenience is more important to my pigs. Actually, I'm spending over $80 to build my boys a 3x6 cage, of my own money. I don't even have a job, I saved it up from my lunch money and have actually skipped lunch to make extra. I also feed my pigs at least 6 vegetables every night and pay for those, also. So I really don't think that you should be pointing fingers at anyone, because you never really know what the situation is, do you?

happimommaof2
10-14-05, 04:38 pm
Your right Ly it just seemed a little harsh but ha that is how I learned. I guess sometimes that is the only way to learn.
Thanks

Faunn
10-14-05, 04:50 pm
I don't have means of transportation myself, because I don't even have my permit yet. Even if I wanted to I couldn't drive 30 miles away for pig stuff because, guess what, it would be against the law! And yes, I've tried to talk to my parents about shipping things, and we've also confronted our family owned store about breeding pigs. Guess what: My parents will not be won over. Of course I'll continue to try to win them over, but it won't happen. My father, bless his soul, will never pay the shipping charges or the gas bills to get something from a non-animal selling store. Until I can drive, it's just not possible.

I agree with you, I've talked to my parents many times, they also won't be won over. My dad is a bit more harsh, he can't know about me going to the vet, because he won't allow me! Even if I pay for it! My mom will, but that's off topic...Until I'm 16 I wont' be able to drive down to the feedstore we have; I buy the solid pellets and pine bedding at WalMart. The nearest petstore (which houses rabbits+cavies together!) is in the other town, and luckily, the nearest PetCo is about an hour, so I never go!

And by the way, has anyone else noticed the starter of this forum isn't even answering?

Ly&Pigs
10-14-05, 05:04 pm
_Sagwa_My_Piggy, please stop putting either your age or statements that refer to your age in your posts. Members under 18 are not allowed to post ages or make remarks like you did in your post. This is the 2nd time a post of your has had to be edited to remove reference to age. One more time and you will be on a 3 day vacation from the forum.

Susan9608
10-14-05, 05:45 pm
I don't know everyone's situation, which is why I said I'm not in any position to condemn anyone for what they do.

I stand by what I did say, though ... that if people shop at stores that sell animals despite - or in spite of - knowing that these stores contribute to the overpopulation of animals, then *something* is more important to them than the principle, whether that something is the convenience of location, convenience of being able to obtain whatever it is right away, or the convenience of low prices.

And if you read my post, I did say that neither I nor anyone else can fault a child for where they buy their supplies, as a child - someone without their own finances and their own transportation - is totally dependent on their parents.

So spare me your righteous indignation and read my posts more carefully before you start pointing fingers at me.

Love_my_piggies
10-14-05, 08:25 pm
I'm not sure about you Susan but for some of us, low prices are not just a "convenience". $20 extra for shipping or gas could buy more food for the guinea pigs or ourselves or help heat the house during the winter. Maybe you can afford that but be a little more sensitive to others situations.

Funnygpigs
10-14-05, 09:49 pm
I cannot afford 26.00 for oxbow, or 26.00 for KM's pellets. I buy Mazuri at the feed store, because it is the best that I can do. I buy them tons of veggies and hay. They are loved and go to the vet when needed, but I dont have extra $15 just laying around because another brand is possably, slightly better. Well, hello! Organic foods are better for us to, but how many people can actually afford them? I buy only organic milk ($5.39 A GALLON!), because I know how harmful regular-nonorganic milk is. But, veggies and other things are soooo pricey! So, people buy what they can afford, and if that means going to a petstore to do so, then so be it! After thinking about it, I would say that it is good to try your hardest to support the petstore that does not sell animals, but I agree that sometimes people just have to do what they can afford. I am glad that I do not spend 26 dollars every time I buy pellets. I was instead, able to put that extra money into a $60.00 vet bill for the two pigs I just rescued. Each to their own! I do as much of what I can to contribute where I can. Most people do the best they can!

lilchris_28
10-14-05, 10:14 pm
Just out of curiosity, how would your guinea pig be pregnant since each Petsmart store sells either male or female, not both?

I've done the same stupid thing... I bought a guinea pig from a pet store b/c I felt sorry for her. I will never do that again. I'm not sorry that I did b/c I love Zoey dearly, but then again I am sorry that I did b/c I could've rescued one from a shelter. There are just too many animals in pet stores and other places that aren't being taken care of or in shelters needing a home. I feel overwhelmed by it b/c I want to give them all the home that they deserve, but it's humanly impossible. It wouldn't be fair to me or the animal. It's something I keep in mind when I see dogs and cats and other animals up for adoption. I can barely afford to take care of the ones I've got and I often go without to buy dog food or take my guinea pig to get her teeth trimmed. Anyway, I'm shutting up now b/c I'm pretty sure I ended up off topic...

C&K
10-14-05, 11:01 pm
Just out of curiosity, how would your guinea pig be pregnant since each Petsmart store sells either male or female, not both?
It happens all the time with PetNotSoSmart, they are designated a boy store but get a girl in miss sexed, or they are a girl store and the breeder or mill they get them from delivers the pig already knocked up.

I think the original poster fell into the second catagory.

I can barely afford to take care of the ones I've got and I often go without to buy dog food or take my guinea pig to get her teeth trimmed. Anyway, I'm shutting up now b/c I'm pretty sure I ended up off topic...

Just out of curiousity(sp?) how often does your pigger need to get a tooth trimming? I know some pigs have problems with their teeth and need this done frequently, however most healthy pigs if they are fed properly, in particular given unlimited hay, are able to keep their teeth filed down and don't suffer overgrowths.

Take care;

Amanda

rabbitsncavyluv
10-14-05, 11:16 pm
Yep, they frequently mis-sex them or get pregnant at the pet mills/ breeders.

Put a male in a tank full of females, get a bunch of pregnant young sows. Don't separate the males at 3 weeks in the mill, get a bunch of pregnant sows, intentional or not.

C&K
10-14-05, 11:21 pm
Yep, they frequently mis-sex them or get pregnant at the pet mills/ breeders.

Put a male in a tank full of females, get a bunch of pregnant young sows. Don't separate the males at 3 weeks in the mill, get a bunch of pregnant sows, intentional or not.

I suppose the worst disaster is in sending a boy to a female store that has several in one cage... He is in heaven, the rest of the customers are on the buy one get 1,2,3,4, or more free program.

I was at a LessthenSuperPet a while back when I was thinking about getting pigs, and they had over 20 in a divided giant aquarium. I have a feeling that one half was girls, the other boys, but the tank was open from the top, and any customer could pick them up and mix em up. Just a nightmare waiting to happen. I am so glad I waited and adopted both of mine, although that weekend I thought the suspense was going to kill me.

lilchris_28
10-15-05, 03:53 am
They are idiots if they can't tell the difference between a male and a female, especially on guinea pigs and rats b/c they are bigger. I use to work in the small animal department at our local Petsmart and we ALWAYS checked to see if they were all female. We only had one incident where someone brought in some babies and said they had a hamster they bought from us who had babies. Luckily they had their receipt which showed they bought the hamster 6-7 months before and the babies were only three or four weeks old. The owners didn't do their homework before they tried to dump their overstock on us. They probably said "Oh wouldn't it just be so good for little Johnny if he saw firsthand how babies are made... It would just be so darn cute." Bah!

Gordy has an overbite and b/c she's has cancer and her appetite is starting to fail, I've been giving her Critical Care and canned baby food. She's still eating her veggies and fruits. The vet says for right now she is okay on that but if she starts losing a lot of weight from malnourishment or if she stops eating that... I'm going to have to lay her to rest. It sucks... So b/c she won't hardly touch anything else, her teeth are growing like crazy. She's only been like this for a couple of months and I've taken her to the vet one more time just for a check up and he had to trim her teeth again. She had it done about 4 months before that I guess. The idiot who had trimmed her teeth before split the top left tooth in half. It was infected when I took her to the vet a couple months later, which gave her yet another reason not to eat. Before she was sick, when she was eating the right kind of foods, she would get it done every 6 months when I took her in for her geriatric checkup... The reason I think her teeth are messed up is b/c when I got her, we didn't know what the heck we were doing and she wasn't getting the proper foods. I was giving her Walmart pellets with little hay and no fruits and veggies. *Slaps self in face several times really hard* I feel like I played a major role in her current state of health, and I'll never forgive myself for it. On a better note, I know better now and I'm a much better mom to all of my babies. Even my mouse and hamsters gets hay and fruits and veggies.