PDA

View Full Version : 7 Years A Cavy Slave

abbygmariee
02-07-15, 09:49 am
Hello!

My name is Abby, I've been a Cavy Slave for about 7 years now. Throughout those 7 years, I've been off and on having Guinea Pigs. All mine past and present have been from Pet Stores, although since I am planning on adding to my little herd, I've been stalking my local humane society for Cavies.

I have two Piggies currently, Stellar and Shadow. Stellar is a 6 month old cream and white Abyssinian, whom is a bit of a brat and doesn't really like being held (unless she's sitting on your lap, she's fine with that but she gives out a "Warning" squeal whenever I pick her up). And Shadow is a 6 month old black/white/brown American whose such a love girl. She loves giving kisses and hanging out on your shoulder. They both get a long with each other very well, which is great for me.

The cage I have is a pet store dupe for a C&C cage but now that I am working and saving my own money, I plan on making a L-shaped C&C cage and add either two or three more Piggies (if I can convince my Dad). My only worry with that is that I have a 60 pound Pit Bull who absolutely loves the piggies. She doesn't want to eat them (we've already tested that), she just really wants to play with them but obviously she's like 58 pounds heavier than them and I don't want to have to worry about when I'm at work (we just adopted our Dog the week after Christmas), her getting into the cage but I also don't want to have to zip-tie it and then have to constantly replace the zip-ties every time I feed them or play with them.

Otherwise, I'm 18 and have yet to actually go to college. Through my work, I can apply for a scholarship and am looking towards moving to Texas and going to Starmark Academy of Dog Training and then slowly moving on and opening up my own Dog training/grooming/boarding/daycare business in Texas. I would also like to own my own service Dog training business that supplies service dog trained shelter Dogs to those with mental illnesses as there isn't that many type of places (or at least they aren't as well known) for people like me (Since I have multiple mental illnesses).

But wow, that was really long and I swear Stellar tries to eat everything I point towards her so I don't have a picture of her yet but I do have a picture of Shadow who climbed into my Snapback and then I also attached a picture of my Pitbull.

bmt28
02-07-15, 02:30 pm
I have 4 pigs (2 pairs) all boars in 2 separate cages. I also have 2 dogs (terriers). The dogs are never, ever allowed around the pigs unsupervised (like the gate is up/closed). Terriers are terriers are terriers...loving, sweet, adorable, yet born hunters. Your piggie cannot defend itself and needs you to protect him/her. Buy the zip it's for your lid at the dollar store:) Good luck in your schooling, you have a really great goal and purpose to the work you want to do. I think animals, even piggies, are so very therapeutic for us humans.

BaconAndEggs
02-07-15, 02:42 pm
Good luck in your hopeful career. :)

Possibly try to make a stand out of storage grids. They come in a box of 24 grids and connectors (I think) for about $20. I'm pretty sure one box would be enough. If you order a C&C cage from this site, there are instructions on how to make a swinging lid. I could post how on a reply, if you'd like. It's unfortunate that dogs and guinea pigs can't play together without supervision, but safety is always needed! I have a Chihuahua who'll come up to the cage and sniff it, and little Eggs would come out up to the bars and try to stick his nose through them, and they would sniff each other for a long time. My dogs never go in the room that the piggies are in, except my pug is 8 years old and wouldn't hurt a fly. :) Feisty dogs, such as Terriers, Pit Bulls, Chihuahuas, and so many more hunting/"Aggressive" dogs would be very unsafe around piggies.

Welcome!

abbygmariee
02-08-15, 09:52 am
Yeah, Penny isn't ever allowed with the piggies unsupervised. My only issue is that the piggies will be in my room in the spring and I'm just worried about falling asleep. I think Penny will eventually get tired of watching them I'm just worried about not hearing her jump up on the cage. At this point I'm not worried about her knocking the cage off because it's on a wooden base and she has tried before.

I'm wanting to build like an L-shaped cage (as I want to add two more piggies to my herd) and I was thinking a 2x5x4x2x5x5 but I'm worried about the stand as I won't have the wooden stand and just the wire. And I don't want to risk her knocking it over?

pinky
02-08-15, 01:04 pm
I wouldn't assume that your dog will get tired of watching them. It's not necessarily an aggressive dog that will hurt them. A playful dog can quickly kill them. That's what happened to my kids' babysitter's guinea pig. Their friendly lab was in the family room with the parents and kids and they brought out their guinea pig. They assumed she'd be safe since they were sitting right there, watching them. Their dog jumped up suddenly and grabbed her, as though he wanted to play. He dropped her, killing her instantly. I'd never trust any dog with a guinea pig, even if I was right there.

abbygmariee
02-08-15, 01:11 pm
I wouldn't assume that your dog will get tired of watching them. It's not necessarily an aggressive dog that will hurt them. A playful dog can quickly kill them. That's what happened to my kids' babysitter's guinea pig. Their friendly lab was in the family room with the parents and kids and they brought out their guinea pig. They assumed she'd be safe since they were sitting right there, watching them. Their dog jumped up suddenly and grabbed her, as though he wanted to play. He dropped her, killing her instantly. I'd never trust any dog with a guinea pig, even if I was right there.

Yeah, I'm sure she'll never stop wanting to play with them. But we had tested her with them before and she licked them and then got in the play position so I know she doesn't want to kill them but obviously she would, even if it was on accident.

Whenever I get them out for floor time or outdoor, she's not allowed in the same room or outside (unless she's tied to the porch and the piggies are out of arms reach) with them.