Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New owner to 1 piggie, expecting 1 more

theblueofnoon

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I recently bought a male piggie off of Craigslist for my 4 year old twin daughters (don't worry - they only touch the piggie with supervision). I had been thinking about buying either a guinea pig or hamster and had been doing research; however, my local pet store's small animals were all quarantined for ringworm, so I bought the one from Craigslist a bit impulsively. In retrospect, I wish I had just picked up a bonded pair from a guinea pig rescue. But we love our little Iggy and I do expect to pick him up a buddy from a rescue soon. Iggy is 2-3 months old and a brown, tan, and white American. The rescue we might be getting is 6 months old and a Texel. I know his grooming will require some care, but I'm ready for it. Currently, Iggy is in an Oxbow cage from Petsmart, about 36x22, but I'm picking up the materials this weekend to build a C&C cage - hoping to make a 2x3.5 with loft work in our space. If not, a 2x3 with loft will definitely fit. I'm busily trying to figure out how best to do this. I'm looking forward to using these forums. I kept aquariums for awhile (mainly South American cichlids) and always found online forums to be really helpful.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Be sure to read up on introducing males :) I did nothing but research before getting my newest male as a cagemate for the male I already owned, I had never introduced males before and I thought I knew what to expect but I was afraid to leave the house because I was sure the newer one was going to gang up on him lol

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the world of guinea pigs!

There are some things you should be careful of. First, make sure Iggy is definitely a male. If you look on most websites they will help you sex them. It's great that you're getting a C&C cage! I, sadly, didn't know that the pet store cages were bad and got one. But now my boys are much happier in their 2x3.5 cage.

Second, make sure that you don't get your piggies treats or pellets with nuts or seeds, and guinea pigs need 24/7 hay. I've heard Oxbow is a good brand. Also, try to get as large of a cage as possible. Two guinea pigs should be in a 2x3.5 at the bare minimum, and a 2x4 is really what you should get. And, lofts don't add to the floor space. Many will tell you it will, but, trust me, it doesn't, but they do really encourage exercise.

Third, make sure you properly introduce your boys before you put them in a cage together. If they aren't properly introduced, it could take ages to get them to like each other, if at all.

Fourth, don't trust Pet Stores. Some aren't that bad, but most of them don't know a thing about guinea pigs, and will sell you things that are bad for them such as salt licks, exercise balls and wheels (By the way, NEVER put that in a cage with your piggy. Their backs are so fragile), yogurt drops, ect. It isn't usually the owner's fault if they give their piggy bad stuff- it's just what they were told was good for them.

I think I've gone through it all, if not, other people will surely touch me up on this. Oh, and make sure your piggies get at least 1 cup of mixed veggies every day per pig. There is a safe food chart in the "Diet and Nutrition" section of this forum. It looks like you're about set! Just keep these things in mind.

theblueofnoon

Cavy Slave
Thanks, all. I appreciate the encouragement. As far as introducing the males, I'm taking Iggy to meet the possible new guy this weekend. I'll be sure to read up on introducing them. I'm hoping the people fostering the new guy will have some experience in that regard, too. And the rescue told me to double-check Iggy's sex - he is, indeed, a male. And he's eating plenty of hay. I haven't been giving him a full cup of veggies. He's been getting zucchini and carrots every day, though, in addition to his hay and pellets.

pinky

Cavy Slave
If possible, I'd go even bigger than a 2x3.5 for two males. If one is dominant, the other might need the extra space to be able to get away.

theblueofnoon

Cavy Slave
Well, crap. I have no room to go bigger than 2x3.5. Should I plan on not getting another and just keeping only one then? Or is it worth it to see how they interact together?

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Well, crap. I have no room to go bigger than 2x3.5. Should I plan on not getting another and just keeping only one then? Or is it worth it to see how they interact together?

Believe me, it's worth it. Besides, guinea pigs really need a friend. Is it possible to go just half a grid higher to a 2x4 or a whole grid higher to a 2x5? Where will they be? Is there a diagram we could see?

theblueofnoon

Cavy Slave
Nope, no room. Not without throwing out my daughters' toy box/bookshelf combo. The cage would *just* fit at 2x3.5 - and even then their closet door wouldn't open all the way. I guess we should stick with just the one we already have. I wish now we had gotten females.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Is there anywhere else in the home you can put the cage, or move your daughters bookshelf? Your boy really does need a friend, but a pair of boys should be in a 2x5, so a 2x3.5 would be much too small.

A 2x3 is the bare minimum recommended size for a single piggy (but a pig should only be single if it refuses to be paired with other pigs, which is very rare), so a 2x3.5 is a great size for him alone, but that would be much too squished for two.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I really think it depends on the pigs. They might get along fine in a 2x3.5, or they could need bigger. They definitely won't be "squished" in that size cage, but they'd probably appreciate more space. I think we all need to remember that recommended sizes are just that, recommendations. Yes, they are based on many years of wisdom and experience but each pig is different. Any size C&C (2x3 or larger) is better than a pet store cage. If introductions go well, I say adopt the buddy. Pigs really, really need company. You may see a whole new personality blossom in Iggy once he gets a friend.

Heterotopia

Cavy Gazer
Since many on this thread have mentioned cages, I'll forgo that topic and focus on guinea pig introductions.

When introducing guinea pigs, here’s what to expect (with two males, in my experience): Chasing (each other), mounting, posturing, rump sniffin', marking/rump parts extending out a bit, puffed up fur, the occasional growl/rumble or scared squeal and lots of curious "wheeking".

Here's what to look out for: Incessant growling, teeth chattering/chutting, gnashing of teeth head-butting, close proximity staring (usually followed up with a snap towards the other’s face) repeated lunging with the intention to attack.

I highly encourage introducing a new pig to an existing one during a free weekend since you'll have to monitor the situation for a couple of hours (last intro I did took 6 hours, but it can take days), but do give the new pig (if possible) a day to unwind first. Have a partition handy in case things get out of hand as well as an alternate temporary cage if you need to separate the piggies. If possible, some piggy rescues and mom & pop pet shops will let you bring in your same gender guinea to see if the pigs are a good fit. If they're not, you'll know in 3 to 5 minutes--the intensity will be palpable and things will have escalated. Also, please take some time to go on YouTube and search for "Guinea Pig Noises" to familiarize yourself with what each sound means so you'll have a better handle on the introductions.

Search this forum for piggy intros to get a more general feel on what to expect.

Good luck!

lvcisme

Cavy Slave
Hello I'm looking for someone to adopt my 3 sweet piggies. I've had them for almost 2 years now but I've been traveling too much for work and need them to go to a home where they can be held everyday and played with and loved. If anyone knows of someone in the San Diego area please help me out. I don't want to post them on Craigslist to become snake food. I have a 2x4, plenty of fleece, food, hay every thing they need I just need a new home for them.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Nope, no room. Not without throwing out my daughters' toy box/bookshelf combo. The cage would *just* fit at 2x3.5 - and even then their closet door wouldn't open all the way. I guess we should stick with just the one we already have. I wish now we had gotten females.

Would something like a 4x3 work? You'd get the right amount of space without the traditional width, if the length can be accommodated. That's what I had to do with my space to work with.

theblueofnoon

Cavy Slave
Would something like a 4x3 work? You'd get the right amount of space without the traditional width, if the length can be accommodated. That's what I had to do with my space to work with.

No, it's the 4 grids in length that is giving us problems. We live in a rowhome. The downstairs rooms are decently sized, but the bedrooms upstairs are small. Trying to talk the husband into putting a 4x2 cage in the dining room, but he's not keen on having the cage there. It's not ideal, but there's nowhere else to put a cage that size.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
If you can't go bigger than a 2x3.5 it will be fine to have 2 guinea pigs that get along in that size. Also a 2X3 is minimum for two guinea pigs. I'd also like to add that is regardless the gender it depends on the pigs.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
If you can't go bigger than a 2x3.5 it will be fine to have 2 guinea pigs that get along in that size. Also a 2X3 is minimum for two guinea pigs. I'd also like to add that is regardless the gender it depends on the pigs.

Actually, a 2x3 is the minimum for one.

If you don't have any room, consider moving the bookshelf. My boys get along fine in their 2x3.5, but I am planning on expanding. Either way, try your best. If you move the bookshelf somewhere else, and make it so the guinea pig cage is tucked in there, would it work? Also, boys do often need bigger, but it doesn't always mean that they won't get along in something smaller.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
No, it's the 4 grids in length that is giving us problems. We live in a rowhome. The downstairs rooms are decently sized, but the bedrooms upstairs are small. Trying to talk the husband into putting a 4x2 cage in the dining room, but he's not keen on having the cage there. It's not ideal, but there's nowhere else to put a cage that size.

Oh, I'm sorry, meant the width being larger than the length, as in it extends further into the room, rather than further along the wall.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Even a 3x3.5 would be a decent size for two boys.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
Actually, a 2x3 is the minimum for one.

If you don't have any room, consider moving the bookshelf. My boys get along fine in their 2x3.5, but I am planning on expanding. Either way, try your best. If you move the bookshelf somewhere else, and make it so the guinea pig cage is tucked in there, would it work? Also, boys do often need bigger, but it doesn't always mean that they won't get along in something smaller.
Actually a 2X3 is also the minimum for two but I thank you anyways.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Where did you hear that? On the main site it says that a 2x3 is the minimum for one, and a 2x4 was the minimum for two...
Never mind.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.