Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Need help convincing mom

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
So I want to put my 3 girls in a 3x5 or a 3x4. I don't have the room for a 2x5. My mom just wants to keep them in the Midwest even though it's broke. My mom doesn't exactly have a lot if money. Barely enough for food and to pay rent. I calculated everything ($53.57 not counting shipping) but shes practically saying no. I won't have that money for at least 2 months while I'm still with my dad and then I have to wait another two months to get paid (I walk dogs and pet sit). Anyway I said I would pay her back but shes not deciding and it's been months. What can I do? Also can someone list pros and cons of a c&c cage?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Look or post an ad on craigslist or freecycle for free or cheap grids but have an adult go with you to get them. Goodwill has them for cheap sometimes, too. Use a shower curtain for the base instead of coroplast so it would be cheap. Biggest plus is the size of the cage.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I thought you already got your 2x5, maybe that was someone else.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Look or post an ad on craigslist or freecycle for free or cheap grids but have an adult go with you to get them. Goodwill has them for cheap sometimes, too. Use a shower curtain for the base instead of coroplast so it would be cheap. Biggest plus is the size of the cage.
I already know where to get grids and we are going to be using a shower curtain. It's mainly the mid West has a lid and we have kitten.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Why don't you just keep the girls at your dad's full time? Do you live with him most often?

My parents were divorced too. The pigs stayed at my mom's, even when I went to live with my dad on the weekends. I'd just clean the cage before I left, precut and bag the vegetables for my mom with the day written on the baggy, and then took over again when I got back. All my mom had to do was refill the water bottle and hay for me, and give the pigs their prepared vegetables.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Ok. I see, you want one for each house. If you're only at your mom's part time, I'd either use the Midwest or zip tie some grids so you can fold it up when you're not there.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Why don't you just keep the girls at your dad's full time? Do you live with him most often?

My parents were divorced too. The pigs stayed at my mom's, even when I went to live with my dad on the weekends. I'd just clean the cage before I left, precut and bag the vegetables for my mom with the day written on the baggy, and then took over again when I got back. All my mom had to do was refill the water bottle and hay for me, and give the pigs their prepared vegetables.
I can't. He won't take care of them for 13 weeks. He's way to busy with work. And I can't leave my girls for 3 months.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Ok. I see, you want one for each house. If you're only at your mom's part time, I'd either use the Midwest or zip tie some grids so you can fold it up when you're not there.
I'm at my mom's for 13 weeks and at my dad's for 13 weeks. I have a cuy and she's very bossy and the Midwest got cramped and my biggest but second you gest girl Emmy (the cuy) was very un happy cause she couldn't be alone and constantly nipped at Bailey or Mocha. I don't want to put them through that again.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
13 weeks is a long time :/ Hmm, maybe see if your dad will loan you the money, if you do something extra for him for the 13 weeks you're with him next?

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
13 weeks is a long time :/ Hmm, maybe see if your dad will loan you the money, if you do something extra for him for the 13 weeks you're with him next?
My dad practically went broke this month. We had two vet visits for Mocha, I broke my phone, they ran out of hay, they need more food, they needed more veggies, and then we needed food! I can get the money no problem but it's the CONVINCING I need help with. I can get more than what's needed in two weeks cause of who I walk dogs for (people are very generous in my mom's complex lol) I just need help convincing.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Can you take the grids from your current cage with you to your mom's? You'll just need a plastic shower curtain at your mom's house.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Can you take the grids from your current cage with you to your mom's? You'll just need a plastic shower curtain at your mom's house.
No. My dad won't let me. I'm not allowed to take stuff back and forth. Dumb I know but they live in different parts of Cali so if I forget something then it's not easy to get back. And I'm not just making excuses.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
I'm confused. What exactly do you need to confine her of? At first it sounded like money but then you said dog walking would cover that problem soon... So... What else is the problem? The space?

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I'm confused. What exactly do you need to confine her of? At first it sounded like money but then you said dog walking would cover that problem soon... So... What else is the problem? The space?
No. Space is fine. It's that the bigger cage will be better for them. She doesn't want to tho because it's an open cage and I keep telling her we can make lids. She would rather use the Midwest but it's broke and it sucked for two piggies. I need help convincing her that the c&c is better cause she views them as the same because it's listed as an alternative.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
No. Space is fine. It's that the bigger cage will be better for them. She doesn't want to tho because it's an open cage and I keep telling her we can make lids. She would rather use the Midwest but it's broke and it sucked for two piggies. I need help convincing her that the c&c is better cause she views them as the same because it's listed as an alternative.

I would measure the sq. footage of your Midwest and show her the sq. footage necessary for the amount of pigs you own on all the Piggie websites you can find (I know there are many that provide the information). Let her see for herself why it is necessary for not only their physical, but mental health, to have as large of an amount of space as possible. I'm assuming that you own piggies with her approval, so in a sense, she is responsible as well, to help provide them with everything they need and deserve as any living being does, and that is not just the bare minimum, but the absolute best you can do.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I would measure the sq. footage of your Midwest and show her the sq. footage necessary for the amount of pigs you own on all the Piggie websites you can find (I know there are many that provide the information). Let her see for herself why it is necessary for not only their physical, but mental health, to have as large of an amount of space as possible. I'm assuming that you own piggies with her approval, so in a sense, she is responsible as well, to help provide them with everything they need and deserve as any living being does, and that is not just the bare minimum, but the absolute best you can do.
I already did. The Midwest is a 2x3 just a bit bigger. And it's not that she doesn't care. She cares a lot. It's that she's not financially gifted si to say like my dad. I told her I would take care if them but all my clients moved away and I'm down to 2. Don't get me wrong I get more than $100 (per month and then add chores which is 5$ a week) when I'm there so I can care for them. And she knows that each piggy needs 7.5 Sq ft. She also knows that they need fresh veggies everyday. She knew that I would need reinforcement (I get easily distracted) so she started doing her research well. I'm pretty good about caring for them and she knows what to watch for and even pets them. If I made her sound like she doesn't care about them I'm sorry. It's that she gets really frustrated cause we don't have a lot of money and I have a lot of issues that drain money. I promised I would pay (my dad pays for them when I'm with him cause we live in a complex where no one has dogs or cats) and I'm keeping that promise. I have a vet fund and everything. I just need help pros and cons cause now she's considering it.

Last edited:

4cavies

Cavy Slave
I already did. The Midwest is a 2x3 just a but bigger

And you have 3 piggies to house together? One is a Cuy? (I sure don't miss having to ask permission! :))

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
And you have 3 piggies to house together? One is a Cuy? (I sure don't miss having to ask permission! :))
Yes. Read what I just posted (I expanded it). My cuy is only part cuy but shes mad in puberty and made in general if she doesn't have enough space. She already broke skin on my baby (from a scab she get from the pet store) and that when she was in heat. She only allows my oldest girl to eat with her and even then she's grumpy. She's only grumpy cause it was so small. Ever since they've been in their 2x5 she's been so much happier and even popcorn.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Yes. Read what I just posted (I expanded it). My cuy is only part cuy but shes mad in puberty and made in general if she doesn't have enough space. She already broke skin on my baby (from a scab she get from the pet store) and that when she was in heat. She only allows my oldest girl to eat with her and even then she's grumpy. She's only grumpy cause it was so small. Ever since they've been in their 2x5 she's been so much happier and even popcorn.

And that's not enough to convince her? It'd also be for the safety of the others. Your moms a tough cookie!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.