Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New here, skittish pigs and questions about keeping them healthy

RainbowDash

Cavy Gazer
I was given two pigs due to unfortunate circumstances. My ex bought two for his young kids and they all forgot to feed them. They came to me in ROUGH shape. I've managed to get them to a proper state of health. They came in an oxbow cage with a play yard but never went down into the extended bit even when left opn 24/7. They started fighting. I don't have the time to construct a c&c cage but midwest cages were on sale at my local pet shop so I purchased two for them. They seem much happier in their current set up. They are coming out of their houses more to frolic and I must say they melt my heart. I've had them going on a few months now and I still feel a bit clueless.

My questions are

Are two midwest cages put together big enough for two pigs?

Do my pigs need a vitamin c supplement?

And how do I get these little guys a bit more relaxed? They are so skittish. They were sort of tormented by my ex's kids. I have two small children as well but I don't let my kids handle them as they are much too young to understand fully how fragile they are. So far I've been hand feeding them through the cage and only removing them when I need to fully clean the cage. Should I be removing them more? I feel guilty as they seem terrified of me holding them.

Oh, and they are named Greta and Rainbow Dash. Greta is the blonde one.

Attachments

greta.jpg rainbow.jpg
Last edited:

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Most guinea pig pellets come with vitamin C in them, the rest they should get daily from veggies and occasional fruits. They should also have timothy hay in unlimited supply. One of my pigs, a 1 year old boy, Benny, i found someone selling on craigslist. He was 2 months old and when I showed up to pick him up it was to discover he'd been kept in a carrier in their kids closet... Horrible.. I wanted to lock THEM in a closet. Anyway... He was very timid. I let him adjust to his new home for a couple days before trying to handle him much. He was still freaked out, so everyday I started taking him out and wrapping him in a hand towel so he couldnt flail around. I would pet him through the towel while feeding him veggies. After a few attempts I was able to do away with the towel and he progressively got calmer and more interested in interaction. Of course, every pigs different but just an idea.

As for the cages... I'm not familiar with their size at all..:sorry:

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
They need fresh veggies everyday. Theres a sticky in the diet forum. Just handle them more and theyll ecome less skittish.How big are the midwests?Pet stores dont seel big enough cages so if you could post a photo that would e awesome. If they're the ones like amazon then yes they are big enough. Oxbow and KMS hay loft are the best brands of pellets to give to your pigs. No seeds or nuts. They only need 1/8th cup of pellets per day, but if they are under six months they need unlimited pellets. They also need hay 24/7. Hope I helped

RainbowDash

Cavy Gazer
Two of these cages. They're both female if that makes a difference.

https://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Homes-for-Pets-171GH/dp/B001NJ0DPY

This is one half of their cage. I didnt know if it was big enough so I went back and got another.

photo.jpg

So frustrating isn't it? At least rehome them before you mistreat them if you don't care to take care of them. Ugh.

They do seem to be fine once I have a hold of them but they run away like I'm going to eat them.

I'm a raw vegan so they certainly have been getting veggies. I wandered over to the forum and I think I'm giving them too much but their stools arent loose. I should cut back though. They seem a bit pudgy.

Last edited:

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Those do look large enough. They run away when you reach into the cage? Three of my four do that.... Actually... He's the only pig I have ever had that didn't run when I try to get him out lol that's actually typical, I believe. I would set up a safe spot for them to have floor time an hour a day, cuddle them a bit when taking them out and returning them, and even if they try to escape your hand, they should become more trusting. A cup of veg per pig per day will do it. It is almost nice to see them pudgy when you got them half starved.

RainbowDash

Cavy Gazer
Thats good to know I thought I was going to frighen the poor things to death. I watched some videos on youtube of people stroking their pigs like they would a dog and I am envious. I stick my hand in the cage and they are like K BYE.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
My boy that doesnt run is Spencer (I need to get pics up)he is hilarious. He's my newest addition and I wanted to pick him up to check his nails and I'm ready to start the chase, but he actually leaned into my hand for a pet and started purring. I was pretty shocked, I've had Benny for a year and he runs like mad when I reach for him, same with my girls. I'm glad those piggies have someone to care for them now. They are awesome animals.

Last edited:

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Two of these cages. They're both female if that makes a difference.

https://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Homes-for-Pets-171GH/dp/B001NJ0DPY

This is one half of their cage. I didnt know if it was big enough so I went back and got another.

View attachment 72076

So frustrating isn't it? At least rehome them before you mistreat them if you don't care to take care of them. Ugh.

They do seem to be fine once I have a hold of them but they run away like I'm going to eat them.

I'm a raw vegan so they certainly have been getting veggies. I wandered over to the forum and I think I'm giving them too much but their stools arent loose. I should cut back though. They seem a bit pudgy.
That's a good size

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
My boy that doesnt run is Spencer (I need to get pics up)he is hilarious. He's my newest addition and I wanted to pick him up to check his nails and I'm ready to start the chase, but he actually leaned into my hand for a pet and started purring. I was pretty shocked, I've had Benny for a year and he runs like mad when I reach for him, same with my girls. I'm glad those piggies have someone to care for them now. They are awesome animals.
That's what my baby Mocha does. I reach in and she sticks her head looking for a scratch and if I move to her sisters she follows like "Where ya going mom?". 2 of my 3 let me pet them in the cage but my third is a cuy so I'm working with her. She's getting there. Took veggies and an Oxbow hay treat from my hand today! Just give it time. I've had Emmy three months and she's just barely doing this lol.

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
They should be getting a cup of veggies and 1/8 cup of pellets per pig per day. The cages are great--just one midwest is big enough for two, so your cage is double the minimum (awesome job). I applaud you for taking these piggies away from a bad situation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.