Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Proper Hello, Landlords and Bedding and Hay Suggestions

stubblychin
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Ah, you know Green Fields too! I made the Cavy Care Leaflets for them and took care of all the piggies in terms of cleaning hutches and bathing and grooming piggies every weekend. How I miss going there!

I know a few of the other UK members use Megazorb, but I personally had problems with it - it was hard to store and it irritated my Charlie pig, so I switched to CareFresh (it only ever went in the litter trays). Most other people get on well with it though.

I'm not sure about the Graze-on, but Spillers Readigrass (Green Fields can supply this) is fine for pigs.

I can't say much for landlord permission, apart from the fact that I live in a rented house and there were no problems with having all the animals (piggies, dogs and hamster) in the property.

stubblychin
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Zeander

Cavy Slave
Well, I live in the US and the apartments I'll be renting from (I move Friday!!) don't have a problem with piggles, but are requesting a $300 non-refundable pet fee. So I'm sneaking them in. :D

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Charlie was sneezing quite a lot with the Megazorb. He was allergic to it - the fineness of it was the main issue. Storage was a nightmare because there was so much of the stuff and such a little space to store it in.

I've used all sorts of beddings - the latest is carpet although I'm going back to fleece again. I would avoid carpet - it's too much work, but fleece and CareFresh are my top two. CareFresh is brilliant but horribly expensive, so I only use it in the litter trays. Sawdust is a definite one to avoid, as is pine unless it is kiln-dried. Cedar is also one to avoid but you probably knew that already.

Even though the G.F. Rescue website says they don't have piggies in, give them a ring and ask them if there are any due to arrive soon. Sometimes they don't have the time to update the website so they occasionally have piggies in who aren't listed on the site. If they don't then they'll let you know of other rescues around who have piggies available for adoption.

Which part of England are you from then? I ask because I lived in Aldershot, which was a 30 minute drive away from Green Fields. I adopted 2 of my pigs from Lorna at Green Fields back in June and July.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Oh! I know greenfields rescue too - that's where I got my 2 boys.

I used megazorb for about 5 months. The only thing I didn't like was how some shaving's got kicked outside and so I add to hoover so often. However, this problem can be sorted since you can make the coroplast sides a tad higher. Apart from that it was a brilliant bedding - very absorbant and cheap.

Graze on sounds really good - I did read about it before but I had already bought a huge bag of spillers readigrass which they adore! I say buy a bag - it's not going to do any harm.

Thanks for all the information you have put forward onto this website, you have some fabulous links that will help loads of us in the UK :)

sgprescue

Cavy Slave
I use megazorb here and the pigs all do really well on it. Cant say the same for the Graze on though. It is perfectly safe for guinea pigs but it vagely resembles pine needles and they dont like it anywhere near as much as readigrass.

Cheryl
Sprowston guinea pig rescue

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.