PDA

View Full Version : Conditions Strange behavior, possibly a seizure?

MamaMagpie
01-24-15, 12:34 pm
I have a 5 year old boar named Nico, who all and all is a healthy pig, but about two weeks ago he gave the household a scare by falling over on his side and not being able to get up. His cage was getting cleaned, so he and his cagemate were in the tub with a towel down. I thought at first maybe he had gotten his paw caught in a loose thread or he had somehow slipped, but when I would try to set him upright he would flop right back over, like he couldn't put any weight on his legs (though he clearly had use of them, as when I picked him up he would flail them). I set him down on the bed with me and called the emergency vet, who said the only thing she could think of was a seizure. She said that normally when pigs have seizures they pop right back up when it's over, but that one could have been his first and he was just in shock. He was able to slowly get back into a sitting position and then walk around after about half an hour, and we put him back with his cagemate after two hours. He's been perfectly healthy since, so this isn't something that's very urgent, but I was just wondering if anyone else had ever seen anything like this with their pigs and had any advice whatsoever?

mdodge
01-24-15, 12:53 pm
I had that happen to one if mine a while ago.I was giving him lap time and put him back on cage and went to store to get some veggies.for them and when I came back he was like that .now saddly he passed away within a half n hr.when I talked to my vet he said most likely it was a stroke he had.mine was very restless he seemed the night before even when he was sitting with me watching tv he never got comfy with me like he normally did. I would get him checked out just to make sure .mine was only 3 yrs

ClemmyOddieIndy
01-24-15, 01:12 pm
I had a pig with something similar. She ended up having lesions on her brain. But, I guess they can have a similar event happen if they have a blood clot. They never were sure if it was blood clots (she had an enlarged heart) or the brain lesions that caused her to lose her mobility. There was one day she lost control of both her back legs, and she was able to still drag herself up the ramp to the second floor for food. She always came out of the episodes (it happened on and off for about 5 months), until the day she died they were happening non-stop and she eventually passed in her sleep that night. The vets had actually never seen it until the day it was happening non-stop. I think they thought I was imagining it. They never knew for sure what happened, but they decided on a blood clot. Which, did not make sense because her feet were always pink and warm. If it's a blood clot they turn blue and cold.

Anyway, I think it's not really something you can do anything about no matter what it is.

MamaMagpie
01-24-15, 01:27 pm
I'm so sorry for your losses. Hopefully my boy will keep going for a long while... I did take him to see the vet last sunday just to get him checked up, and while she didn't do any blood work she did take stool samples and check his body for lumps, etc., and said he seemed fine for now. She said it could be something related to his age. I have never considered a blood clot though, and I don't think it crossed the vet's mind either. I'll look into that.

kateanddoodle
01-24-15, 02:18 pm
My 6 year old guinea pig had at least 1 seizure (to my knowledge), and he had dilated cardiomyopathy, which later turned into congestive heart failure. My little dude was fine until having anesthesia for a tooth trim, and he just never bounced back. If you catch it in the early stages, it's very treatable (and in my case, congestive heart failure could have been avoided for a while longer by not doing anesthesia). I don't know if the two were related, but seeing as ClemmyOddieIndy had similar experiences, it might be worth it to investigate your boy's heart and see if it is enlarged.

Also in animals (and probably people, but I'm a vet student), seizures have preictal and postictal stages. Preictal comes before the seizure and can last weeks or days; you might notice your guy is acting different: hiding more and eating less. In the postictal phase, the animal can be in "shock", out of it, and still coming out of the seizure; that can last from minutes to hours. So knowing those phases might make you a little more ready if a seizure comes (sending good vibes it was an isolated incident!). Sounds like your guy had a postictal period after his seizure.

ClemmyOddieIndy
01-24-15, 03:10 pm
I'm so sorry for your losses. Hopefully my boy will keep going for a long while... I did take him to see the vet last sunday just to get him checked up, and while she didn't do any blood work she did take stool samples and check his body for lumps, etc., and said he seemed fine for now. She said it could be something related to his age. I have never considered a blood clot though, and I don't think it crossed the vet's mind either. I'll look into that.

Just curious, is your vet cavy savvy? I'm not an expert, but I have had a lot of tests run on my pigs. I've never had a stool sample (or even a request for one) tested.

MamaMagpie
01-24-15, 10:55 pm
Just curious, is your vet cavy savvy? I'm not an expert, but I have had a lot of tests run on my pigs. I've never had a stool sample (or even a request for one) tested.
Yes she is. I took him primarily to talk about the sezuire, but he had had poops in odd shapes that morning, so I mentioned that and that is the reason she took the sample. His poops were back to normal at the vets office and the sample didn't turn up anything too crazy, so I assumed it was just a coincidence and maybe he had had too many veggies that morning. I've watched him and I haven't noticed any other odd shapes or diarrhea or anything of the sort.