Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Waffle Blocks House ?

GP_Lover_85

Cavy Slave
Are Waffle blocks house good for guinea pig homes ?

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I don't see a problem with them. I was considering buying several so I could make a bigger one or connect them in a different shape but decided they were too expensive.

GP_Lover_85

Cavy Slave
I think they make good guinea pig homes i bought 3 large and connect it in a L-shape my pig loves it .

Zeander

Cavy Slave
My girls have one and they love it. They are getting a little too big for it though. It's really cute when they lay in it, they remind me of little dogs in a dog house.

SugarSpice

Cavy Slave
Do you mean the flat ones that kids play with? They interlock to make cubes etc..?

Zeander

Cavy Slave
Like this:
(broken link removed)
They are made of plastic.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Mine use them.:)

pennick

Cavy Slave
My 2 piggies grew up with them. They each have their own and it was their favorite. I use to cut up little squares as blankets and lay one in each. Didn't matter how big they got, they always found a way to lay in it. I eventually took the back off so they could fit in it better.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I just bought one of these for my boys as another hidey house for the new cage. It's great to hear from real people instead of the manufacturers that they're loved by piggers.

Homemom

Cavy Slave
My piggies love them. I have one big one for the boys and two smaller ones for the girls. They are also easier to clean. My Silkie even hops on top of hers for a better look about. She should be a hoot when I get a C&C Cage built for the gals. My hubby is still getting over the shock from coming home to see the boy's new cage and exclaiming we could rent it out in DC for at least $1,000 a month - he thinks it is as big as an apartment his boss used for visiting doctors!

I have used the grass huts (look like half circles) and though the pigs lioved them as well, they also peed in them horribly! I was having to throw them out every few days and that got EXPENSIVE. Out of all the different houses i have used over the years, the waffle blocks are my favorite and the piggies seem to love them.

My only warning is check the box before you buy. I got one with a cracked panel that could not be used but I kept it as the rest can be sued to expand and change shapes. Also, I have gotten warped panels that will not fit together. If you buy at a store, ask if you can check the box before purchase.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
The round grass houses don't work so well because the openings are almost too small and once in them they pee on the bottom but mine love their square grass house with no bottom. They are always in it or on it. I'm might try giving the round one to the hamster to nest in.
I wonder if the blocks sold for kids would work just as well and be cheaper to get than the ones sold for animal houses. Then I could just build them a house how I want it. They like houses with alot of openings to jump and run through. They might make a good tunnel going down one side of the cage.

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
But shouldn't the pigs be able to chew on it? They are really cute, but they look too smooth to get a good bite on.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs don't need to chew and don't chew as much as other small animals. They should have unlimited hay to eat which will keep their teeth worn down. The 5 girls have grass houses and wood houses none are in danger of being destroyed any time soon. But don't underestimated an animal intent on chewing. Mine get a good grip on their plastic igloos all the time. Some do it out of habit. Rolo always has to chew on the entrance before she goes in it unless she's running away from something and in a hurry. I think the plastic houses have more chew marks than the more easily chewed materials.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.