Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Mites or fungus? Advice Pls!

gck1026

Cavy Gazer
I just got two guinea pigs at the start of this year. One of them now has a bald spot and lots of dandruff around his rear and the other one has an open wound behind his little ear. They are not very old at all and I have no idea what to do other than google it. They are still eating and drinking just fine. Itching occasionally. What should I do? Is there a way to tell if mites or fungus?

Thanks

20150118_214139.jpg20150118_215320.jpg

EcthalionMCB

Cavy Slave
that second picture looks just like what my pig has . . . . which isn't testing positive for anything. I'd treat it with Miconazole for a week or so and see if it helps. and that rip behind that ear looks painful. probably should get them to an exotics vet. One, to see if they can diagnose what that dandruffy stuff is , and two, to get that ear treated. dont want an infection. especially on its head.

EcthalionMCB

Cavy Slave
Miconazole is a yeast infection med. also used to treat fungal infections. comes recommended by my vet

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The second photo looks like his grease gland. Some pigs have an overactive one that can get gunky.

The first one looks like maybe a bite wound. Do your pigs get along? How large is their cage?

Or it could be a wound from scratching at mites.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Miconazole is a yeast infection med. also used to treat fungal infections. comes recommended by my vet

Yeast IS a fungus.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.