PDA

View Full Version : New cavy owner- Meet Flora and Fauna (attached link to a cavy situation)!

Keikk
01-18-15, 07:07 am
Hello! I'm a new (and inexperienced) guinea pig owner.

Here are my two lovely babies, Flora and Fauna. I've had them for 4 days already, and they're getting less and less afraid of their surrounds, which is great.

(From left to right: Fauna, Flora)

Unfortunately, I still haven't reached the perfect living requirements for these two.
1. Cage is small.
2. No grassy hay (ie Timothy hay), instead of relying on Alfalfa.
3. Wood shavings as bedding. Is fleece a better option?

I specifically created an account on this forum to inquire on a problem I am experiencing with Flora. I have created a thread over here (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/105257-Unsure-pregnancy-case-2-months-old-from-the-pet-shop) (incase anyone wants to help out). Basically, she grew fatter in a day.

If you have any general tips and reminders, I would love to take note of them!

CavyMama
01-18-15, 07:26 am
How old are your little ones? If they are under 6 mths (they look to be), alfalfa is just fine for them. It provides a much higher level of calcium which is what growing guinea pigs need.

When you say she "grew fatter" are you weighing them? Don't rely on visuals. You need to have an objective way to tell if they are actually gaining weight - thus the scale. Weigh them weekly and keep record of it.

Also, make 100% sure that they are both female. Even if you were told they were female, it's important to make sure. This is a good guide for sexing your pigs. http://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html If you still aren't sure, post pics of their genital areas here and we can help you figure it out

BaconAndEggs
01-18-15, 07:41 am
Welcome!

Flora and Fauna are so cute!

In my opinion, fleece is a better option. But there is nothing wrong with wood shavings(As long as they are dust free, kiln dried and NOT cedar) Except for how messy they are! I prefer fleece.

With the small cage, let me just suggest a C&C cage. There is a lot of information on the main site about them.

As CavyMama said, Alfalfa Hay is just fine if your guinea pigs are under six months.

Feel free to ask any other questions on the forum!

AmberCalzone
01-18-15, 08:28 am
Alfalfa hay is fine to give to pigs under 6 months, as a supplement to grass hay. Guinea pigs still need a long strand grass hay, at all ages, as it keeps their digestive system working. Alfalfa is a legume hay. It's short and soft, and won't do the same for them as a grass hay. If you want to give alfalfa for the extra calcium, it should be 1/3 alfalfa to 2/3 long strand grass hay.

Look into C&C cages :) You can buy them premade here from the cage store, or you can find them premade on EBay as well. You can also make them yourself. You can find the grids practically anywhere (make sure it's 9x9 squares - but because your girls are so young, you'll still need to baby proof the cage), and the coroplast can be found at sign shops or Home Depot. If you buy from Home Depot, I suggest ordering online and choosing store pick up, because not all stores carry it in stock. If a C&C isn't to your liking, the MidWest cage is probably better than whatever the pet-shop sold you. It's one of the very few commercial cages that meets bare minimum size for 1-2 piggies.

I enjoyed fleece + kiln dried pine pellet mixture the best.
Fleece is horrible in a small cage though, so I wouldn't switch to that until you get yourself a proper cage.

Keikk
01-18-15, 08:48 am
How old are your little ones? If they are under 6 mths (they look to be), alfalfa is just fine for them. It provides a much higher level of calcium which is what growing guinea pigs need.

When you say she "grew fatter" are you weighing them? Don't rely on visuals. You need to have an objective way to tell if they are actually gaining weight - thus the scale. Weigh them weekly and keep record of it.

Also, make 100% sure that they are both female. Even if you were told they were female, it's important to make sure. This is a good guide for sexing your pigs. http://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html If you still aren't sure, post pics of their genital areas here and we can help you figure it out

Thank you so much for your help! I have just started weighing them today, so hopefully I will be able to make conclusions afterwards.

Here are photos of their genitals:

AmberCalzone
01-18-15, 09:12 am
Uhm, I think you may have a girl and a boy together. The first looks like a girl, it has more of a 'y' shape, making me lean towards girl. The second looks more like a boy. I'm almost positive the second is a boy.

So I'm going to go with either the first is a girl, second is a boy. Or, hopefully, you have 2 boys... because I'm iffy on the first one.
Please take others opinions into consideration, though.

pigmommy89
01-18-15, 09:13 am
So cute! They both look like girls to me.

Keikk
01-18-15, 09:15 am
Uhm, I think you may have a girl and a boy together. The first looks like a girl, it has more of a 'y' shape, making me lean towards girl. The second looks more like a boy. I'm almost positive the second is a boy.

So I'm going to go with either the first is a girl, second is a boy. Or, hopefully, you have 2 boys... because I'm iffy on the first one.
Please take others opinions into consideration, though.

Sorry if the photos caused some misunderstanding, but the genitals belong to one pig only. I decided to take two photos just in case one was unclear.

AmberCalzone
01-18-15, 09:17 am
Ah, I understand :) That is a relief then! For some reason I don't see the 'y' on the second photo, it looks more like an 'i' to me in the second.

Seeing as you got them from a pet shop, I would personally post photos of both of your pigs, because pet stores often missex. Especially becauase you said the boys and girls were kept together.

CavyMama
01-18-15, 03:57 pm
The one you posted looks like a boy to me. If you post pics of the other pig, we can get a better idea of if you have two of the same gender

PianoPlayer88
01-18-15, 04:35 pm
Welcome! I seem to be in the minority here as I use wood shavings and my pigs tend to be pretty neat(they seriously don't pee anywhere other than their 1x2 loft) but fleece is a great option too! Just don't forget to spot clean. Check out the cages section of this website to see some ideas for c&c cages!

Keikk
01-18-15, 07:59 pm
Thank you, everyone! I appreciate all your help.

Here's the photos of the second pig:

CavyMama
01-18-15, 09:16 pm
The pics are a little hard to see but that one also looks like a boy to me.

Keikk
01-18-15, 09:21 pm
The pics are a little hard to see but that one also looks like a boy to me.
Thanks for your help! Well now I just hope both of the piggies are boys.

Soecara
01-19-15, 03:17 am
The way to tell 100% if they are boys is if you can expose a penis. It is demonstrated in the video in this link at about 3:15 http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/85830-Awesome-video-on-how-to-clean-the-Anal-Sac As to the other stuff mentioned in that video personally I only clean my boars privates when they need it (but I check them every week), and I use coconut oil instead of mineral oil as it is better for their skin.

You can also compare them to images on http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

I would be concerned about gas/bloat issues in the one who "grew fatter" as pregnancy weight gain does not suddenly happen overnight, especially if it turns out that she is actually a he.

Nikami510
01-20-15, 08:26 am
This link will give you a $10 from your order. I love their wonderful fresh hay.
http://smallpetselect.refr.cc/XS99ZMP