Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Documenting and Reporting Internet Activity

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Documenting & Reporting Internet Activity

As an experienced 'dirt disturber,' I have some tips for those who find internet posts, blogs, sites, pages, ebay listings, etc. that they feel need exposure or discussion of some kind.

Depending on the site, forum or group you may be reading, once a disturbing entry is exposed, it may be pulled from public view, edited, deleted or you may be denied access in a variety of ways. It might be good that it is immediately changed--or it might not. In any case, the BEST thing to do BEFORE you talk about it anywhere else (or even reply) is to COPY it off LOCALLY to your hard drive. You are not breaking any laws in doing that. You are merely saving off the material for your own reading for later. I use two techniques to save off interesting items.

- PRINT SCREENS (Prt Scn button, then paste into a word document)
- FILE, SAVE AS, WEB ARCHIVE, SINGLE FILE, .MHT

It's amazing how fast some very interesting and juicy items can disappear. I've got a mountain of very interesting breeder posts and quotes that if I hadn't prudently saved at the moment that I had access over the years, would be just vague memories. I'm constantly adding to that library.

THEN, if necessary, say with an eBay transgression for example, if you need to prove intent of animal sales on a modified listing, you can send eBay a screen print of the listing BEFORE it was changed.

And as far as larger, established sites go, there is the internet archive (https://www.archive.org/) which includes the WayBack Machine. I've been able to use that to successfully prove a very clear case of theft against a most stupid and belligerent profiteer of my material. Interesting that the internet saves historical pages of the internet. I like that.

Last edited:

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Re: Documenting & Reporting Internet Activity

CavySpirit said:
THEN, if necessary, say with an eBay transgression for example, if you need to prove intent of animal sales on a modified listing, you can send eBay a screen print of the listing BEFORE it was changed.

Thanks for that advice. Only in hindsight do I realise this now, which is a pain. The listing in question on my post was completely and utterly altered from selling her pigs. If I had made a screen dump, at least I could have thrown that back in the seller's face (metaphorically speaking).

I will definitely make more of an effort to document such things in future.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.