PDA

View Full Version : base

futureguineamom
10-11-05, 05:43 pm
Hey. I asked my dad about cloroplast, and he does a lot of building for people (he's a contractor) but he didn't know what it is. So, he suggested using plexi glass. Is that okay for a base? Of course I would have grids of some sort along the sides and top. We will be making a 3.5x3.5 cage, giving us 12.25 square feet total. The base will be 7 or 8 inches high, and the whole cage is going to be at least 3 feet high.

My main issue right now is what to do for a base! (keep in mind, I'm on a budget and we have lots of things laying around the house..) I guess my main question is, would plexi glass be okay? I could line that with some sort of plastic material probably.. or even line it with a vinyl or plastic table cloth..?

TheMadWheeker
10-11-05, 06:07 pm
Coroplast will be far cheaper than the equivalent size of plexiglass unless your getting the really thin stuff. Coroplast isnt something a contractor would have any to have any knowledge of. You will need to call local sign shops as it is a material used to make the little roadside signs you see around town.

futureguineamom
10-11-05, 07:07 pm
We have a lot of plexi-glass hanging around, and my dad gets good deals on that sort of thing. I was just wondering if it was okay to use..?

futureguineamom
10-11-05, 07:22 pm
Okay, I just explained it to my parents and we don't have a sign shop.. is it expensive?

cobalt
10-11-05, 07:31 pm
Coroplast is also sold at plastics distributors. I would assume that's where the sign shops get it. Heck, your dad might even be getting plexiglass at the same place if he's not getting it at the hardware store.

As far as it being expensive, I haven't seen it for more than $12 for a 4x8 sheet.

futureguineamom
10-11-05, 07:35 pm
Thanks.. is it "foldable"? I mean, can you cut corners and then fold the sides up, and attatch them somehow to make a slight shaving-kicker barrier? lol how that must sound! Sorry I'm bad at explaining.

cobalt
10-11-05, 07:37 pm
There are detailed how-to instructions here: http://cavycages.com/howto.htm

Slap Maxwell
10-11-05, 07:50 pm
Coroplast is much easier to use than plexiglass. It is like plastic cardboard, really easy to score, bend, and tape together. It's lighter too, and is easy to expand and reduce the size of your cage.

I pay $20 for a 8' x 4' sheet, or $15 to get it cut to any size I want. Won't run you more than $30 probably. Plus, it comes in a rainbow of colors. (No pink though, sigh).

futureguineamom
10-11-05, 07:52 pm
Red? I want to do a strawberry themed cage if I can ;)

TheMadWheeker
10-11-05, 08:13 pm
Yep its available in red :D

Slap Maxwell
10-11-05, 08:13 pm
Yes! I think in two shades. Mine is red. (http://www.cavycages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3927&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1) You can use white grids, too. That would look really neat.

futureguineamom
10-12-05, 09:57 am
Okay.. turns out my dad knows a "sign guy" and saw him this morning, so he's going to give me 4x4 sheet, and for free by the sounds of it. :) Yay.. The only thing with that is the sides will only be 4 inches high on each side, so the shavings might not stay in too well. Thats alright though. Now if I could just track down some grids..

Ly&Pigs
10-12-05, 10:41 am
Print shops also sell coroplast. Coroplast is corrogated plastic. 4" sides won't keep shavings in when the pigs run and throw bedding everywhere. I would see if you could get a 4x8 sheet instead.

Why a 3ft. tall cage? Most grids are only 14" tall and most pigs do not climb out. Is it going to be on a table making it that high or what?

Homemom
10-12-05, 10:52 am
Grids are easy to find. I found mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond. And you can buy them on line.

I just had an article about building my first C&C Cage publihsed in a great on line women's mag. I am the new pet editor for them. The article will be up until the end of Oct then it will go to archive.

http://www.yourlifemagazine.com/pet.html

Also, www.cavycages.com (http://www.cavycages.com) has various resouces for finding materials.

If you are building high because you want ramps, cavies really are not climbers and a fall from a ramp could injure one. One of mine will jump to the top of her house but that is it. My son's pigs (in the C&C Cage) I think only one got on top of the house - and the 14" grid is more than tall enough for that. If I built ramps and shelves for a multilevel cage (which I decided not to do) I would make sure I have a several inch high lip around the end to help prevent falls or jumps.

futureguineamom
10-12-05, 10:57 am
It will be on a table, as my mom hates any animal habitat to be on the floor.. It will need a lid, as we have cats. I just thought 3 feet would be a sufficient hieght... but if it doesn't need to be so tall then maybe I won't make it so tall.. Right now I clean out Malaika's cage using a dustpan to scoop out the shavings (I change them every 3 days) and I like using that method, it seems to work well. So, I'll have to design it so that I can clean it that way.. hm. I have no idea what I'm doing!

Even with a 4x8 sheet, that would only allow me to build up the sides on two sides, as I plan to make the base 3.5x3.5 feet.. unless I could take some extra and somehow add it to the other sides... ho hum. Anyway, my dad had already told him I would only need a 4x4 sheet..

Ly&Pigs
10-12-05, 11:11 am
Are you making the cage with grids? 3.5 ft. would be 3 grids. So you are making a 3x3 C&C I take it.

and a fall from a ramp could injure one
If the ramp is only going from one level to another, then no it usually won't injure a pig unless the pig jumps off from the top of the ramp. If you make a ramp that has sides, say at least 1" or more, they will feel more secure and not jump off. I used to have a cage with a loft and no grids on the inner side of the loft and my pigs never jumped off nor fell off. There are those occasional exceptionally brave pigs that will jump off but most are too scared to.

futureguineamom
10-12-05, 11:25 am
I'm not sure how I'm going to make it yet, I have to do some shopping around with my dad on his work supply runs, to stores like TSC Stores, Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, Beaver Lumber, Etc.

Hey, I have a question. Can guinea pigs eat pumpkin? Is pumpkin a fruit or veggie?? If they can, would I be able to buy a very small one and put it in with my piggie, as a halloween decoration and a special treat for her?

Ly&Pigs
10-12-05, 11:51 am
Yes, they can have raw pumpkin but only small amounts a couple times a week. I wouldn't buy a whole small pumpkin and put it in the cage. You need to feed the inside flesh (no goo or seeds) and I always peel the rind off.

jdomans
10-14-05, 03:38 pm
I love having my cage up on a table. It saves the back and I also use a dust pan to scoop out the bedding. I even use clothespins to attach a trash bag to the outside of the cage while I scoop it out. Works great.

Homemom
10-14-05, 03:52 pm
Are you making the cage with grids? 3.5 ft. would be 3 grids. So you are making a 3x3 C&C I take it.

If the ramp is only going from one level to another, then no it usually won't injure a pig unless the pig jumps off from the top of the ramp. If you make a ramp that has sides, say at least 1" or more, they will feel more secure and not jump off. I used to have a cage with a loft and no grids on the inner side of the loft and my pigs never jumped off nor fell off. There are those occasional exceptionally brave pigs that will jump off but most are too scared to.

Thanks - nice to know!

My Silkie is a climber and jumper!!! Funny girl.

Their C&C cage may be my attempt with ramps.

futureguineamom
10-14-05, 04:24 pm
Hey I never thought of that clothes pin idea! Thanks :) Well, our sign guy messed up and gave us 2.5X4 feet coroplast, and I was really looking forward to making the cage the way I want to. And, it isn't quite what I expected. So, we are going to save it and use it for making things :) :love:

jdomans
10-14-05, 06:34 pm
I don't know where you live Future Mom, but, I went to the yellow pages and found the sign company I got my coroplast from. I also made sure to tell them it was for a guinea pig cage in case, as cavy cages said, they thought I was going to make my own sign instead of paying them to make one for me. BTW I use cavy cages directions for my cage and then made my fine tuning after it was completed. You can't go wrong.

Eventrocker33
10-14-05, 08:15 pm
My dad is a contractor too and when I asked him he had never heard of it. But one of his old friends owns a sign shop down the street and sells it.

futureguineamom
10-15-05, 12:44 pm
Well, I didn't really like the coroplast.. but we have a sturdier, flexible, CLEAR version of it! It's basically the same, just stronger and clear. So I will definately be making some things (hidey-houses and stuff) out of the old coroplast.. my dad is going to find out the name of the stuff we have so I can let you know, if interested. I just didn't like the flimsy-ness of the coroplast we had gotten. Getting excited! :D I can't do my strawberry theme this way, but I'll figure something out ;)