Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Skin lesions in the neck region

BrittK

Cavy Gazer
Hi guys,

my feamale Guinea pig has some lesions on her neck. I was wondering if any of your guinea pigs have had these before. She's pregnant so im worried about using any products on her. She gets very good quality guinea pig pellets and loads of greens-we feed them greens three times a day so in total they get about a cup each. I don't see any parasites on them, but I know you don't see all the mites. Any help will be appreciated!

ill post some pics too

thanks a lot guys

image.jpgimage.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Those look like bite wounds. Is she housed with another pig? Do you notice her scratching at them? But it's not typical of mites.

BrittK

Cavy Gazer
Yes she's currently being housed with her sister, the sister isn't aggressive, but it might very well be a bite. she is scratching at it, but I think it's more because it's an open wound and it's itchy, you know? My male guniea pigs sometimes bite each other and it doesn't look like this.

Wha do you use for parasites? Advantage or revolution top spots?

thanks for the reply :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It could be from scratching at mites. Being pregnant and giving birth can cause a pig to have a "mite attack".

I would use ivermectin to treat her (and your other guinea pigs) at least three times. Ivermectin is safe for pregnant and nursing guinea pigs.
https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_treatment.html

You may also need to keep the wounds covered to stop her from damaging herself more. Or keep the scabs hydrated with cold pressed coconut oil.

BrittK

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for the advice! I have bandaged it, and it's starting to scab over. Haven't gotten the ivermectin yet, but I'm a vet nurse so I'll get something at work on Monday.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.