Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Leashes?

• Thread starter HamsterLoverRMB
  • Start date
H

HamsterLoverRMB

Leashes?

I had a question. How safe are those guinea pig leashes? I like to let Patch and Chester have some outdoor playtime, but I don't always want to use their pen. I want to try the leashes out.

B

Briana D

Re: Leashes?

I've never heard anything good about leashes. Guinea pigs can slip out of them way to quickly. I've read many stories about people using leashes and losing their pig.

I say use their pen or make their pen larger so they have more of an area to roam.

I think leashes are sold more to appeal to the humans buying them instead of the guinea pigs that are forced to wear them.

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave

Just the other day, I bought two leashes for two of my piggies. Both of them slipped out of them and nearly got away. I luckily caught them. I don't reccomend guinea pig leashes at all. Stick with playpens. :)

M

miss g pig

my friend bought me two leashes for the guineapigs and they were petrified at first dylan didn't seem to mind then he started bolting round and round wheeking his little head off so I took them off!! I wouldn't try it I don't think they are a good idea anymore!

M

Malcsy04

I agree...

I bought my pig one and it did not work...When I put it on, he was confused and he tried to get it off with his front paw. It kept getting stuck and he did not have fun. He also got out of it but luckily it was in my room so I caught him under my bed!!

Miss Piggy

Cavy Slave
Hmm

I posted a thread about this not too long ago in the " Accessories" section, and didn't get any positive feedback about them at all. Treen said they were bad for their bodies and harmful, and others said how their GPs hated them and what a waste of money they were. Here it is, if you wanna see yourself ( https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1470)

Hope it Helps

GuineaTV

Cavy Slave
I've had a lot of luck with the harnesses made for reptiles - (broken link removed)

It's perfect for GP's because it doesn't go around their neck (they don't really have a neck so it's easy to wiggle out of the traditional small animal ones) - their front legs go through and it adjusts around the back. If you additionally purchase a very long dog leash to attach, your GP can really run around if he isn't too scared outside. Only one of mine really take advantage of outdoor space - Charlie keeps right next to me the whole time he's munching on the grass. Zorro likes to wander away, then come bounding back!

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
Disagree. I have a leash/harness for my GP and have liked it. It took a lot of attempts to get it right because, yes they do slip out of them and he would get very upset when he got his leg caught in it. Once I got the hang of fastening it properly it was fine. I never let him unattended with it because he might get loose or tangled. Also, you have to stay close in case a hawk tries to get them.

However, it gives me great peace of mind when we're out an about with him. Plus when we take him to the park, we can let him out of his travel bag. The biggest trick has been teaching my 3 year old that it's not like walking a dog. They don't go where you do, instead you have to follow them around.

If you go out with your GP's a lot I think it can be a great accessory. We take our pigs with us on weekends when we go to the beach or the park, etc.

KmKrazy9

Cavy Slave
I dont think that leashes or harness are a good idea. I heard that GP dont like restrictions. Also because their spine is curved in a certain way , it could harm them.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
A play pen is the best. You can just let them do what they want. They don;t have to feel restricted or forced.

Emrielle

Cavy Slave
Well, I bought two guinea pig leashes, but when I got home, they did not fit, so I bought a cat harness, which works really well actually. However, I do not recommend you put your guinea pig in one, because mine seem really uncomfortable with them, and some may feel restricted and less likely to roam around. One of mine ends up sitting there doing nothing. So I only use a harness when I take them inside a pet store because leashes are required where I go, though I never use them any where else.

GuineasGalore

Cavy Slave
At my local garden and animal supplier they sold these really nice mesh harnesses, would thoes be okay for guineas if you got them used to them?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs aren't meant to be on ANY type of leash. Please just use a playpen instead. If you need to take your piggy somewhere, just use a cat carrier or a wicker basket lined with towels or fleece.

Guinea Piggies

mncavylover

Cavy Slave

It squishes their internal organs. It violates their sense of freedom. If jerked, it could result in injury or death. They can get out of them anyway. Cavies have very delicate bone structure, and sometimes even what we think is a gentle squeeze could break their bones. I would NEVER try restraining them with anything. I think it is an outrageous concept. They can't learn how to walk on a leash, ever. That's the difference between this and walking dogs and such. I think it is absolutely cruel to do this to them. Is this enough proof, everyone? Or need I give more. I can if you really need it.

Oh, and by the way, just because these are sold doesn't mean they're good. What about all those poison-filled foods, salt licks, and sugary treats?

Guinea Piggies

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave

I think putting someone down, especially someone with as much experience as mncavylover, is probably not the wisest thing to do. Guinea pigs rarely like to be held, and I doubt they would appreciate something around their midsection restricting their movement. Ever have a dog? Do dogs enjoy running around freely or do they prefer to have a leash around their neck? How about you? Would you rather be able to walk around your house, or be restricted by a leash? I think her point is quite valid.

Piglet

Cavy Slave

Guinea piggies, that was not needed :( Well put Metallichica

Guinea Piggies
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.