PDA

View Full Version : How to get fleece to wick water?

SarahRose
01-11-15, 07:07 pm
My name is Sarah! I'm not new to this forum as I've come here before and read posts to help me out. I am finally joining to ask for help and give others help as well! I have one Guinea Pig right now, her name is Bliss. We rescued her a month and a half ago from a family who couldn't take care of her any more. They got her when she was about 6 months, and only had her 2 months. She's almost a year i believe. She's a very content piggie who loves to talk and snuggle! She's very social and loves my whole family. I think she knew she was being rescued. :) However, I do need to ask for help on something- I am going to use fleece for the first time this week once her new cage comes in. I have 3 yards of the blizzard print from Joann Fabrics, all different prints. One is the non-pill (which i didn't know i grabbed). I washed them all 3 times. All with warm-cold and then once with no scent natural detergent (not a fabric softener). I just tested all three and non of them wicked the water away. How do you get them to work?:confused: I was reading past threads on here other people have this problem as well. Thanks! Xoxo

LoveMyHerd
01-11-15, 07:25 pm
Hi Sarah!
To make your fleece wick, you have to wash the fleece in hot water (high spin helps) with bleach and vinegar. Don't worry, fleece is nearly indestructible, so it won't fade or lose color even when washed with bleach.
We'd love to see pigtures of Bliss!

bpatters
01-11-15, 07:26 pm
Hot water, strong detergent, and bleach. Fleece is nearly indestructible, so you can't hurt it with anything you do to it.

SarahRose
01-11-15, 08:27 pm
Hi Sarah!
To make your fleece wick, you have to wash the fleece in hot water (high spin helps) with bleach and vinegar. Don't worry, fleece is nearly indestructible, so it won't fade or lose color even when washed with bleach.
We'd love to see pigtures of Bliss!

Is vinegar going to mess with the smell of my washer/fleece? Thanks!

bpatters
01-11-15, 08:29 pm
No, it won't. People put bleach in washers all the time, and it smells worse than vinegar.

SarahRose
01-11-15, 08:32 pm
We have color-safe bleach, would that work the same?

SarahRose
01-11-15, 08:37 pm
No, it won't. People put bleach in washers all the time, and it smells worse than vinegar.
Ignore that last one. Haha, we have colorsafe bleach detergent and normal bleach by itself. We don't have vinegar, is there way to work around that?

bpatters
01-11-15, 08:44 pm
So use the bleach.

Blake81
01-12-15, 06:46 am
I'm having the same problem with JoAnn Blizzard Fleece! I think I'm on wash 6 now and still very little sign of wicking. Have tried all but bleach now. Will have to buy some today as I don't normally keep in the house.

This forum is so helpful for a newbie pig owner!

Blake81
01-12-15, 09:28 am
BLEACH - The miracle! We have wicking! I'm dumping that in the first washes from now on. Sheesh, so much hot water could have been saved!

SarahRose
01-12-15, 01:20 pm
BLEACH - The miracle! We have wicking! I'm dumping that in the first washes from now on. Sheesh, so much hot water could have been saved!

Is it just normal straight up bleech you used, or is it mixed into something else?

Blake81
01-12-15, 01:36 pm
I just used regular low-splash bleach and 7th Generation unscented detergent. I put the bleach in my bleach dispenser and poured a little bit directly into the drum for good measure. I can look up brand when I get home but I think they're all about the same. I have an unwashed piece of fleece I'm going to try with bleach from the beginning to see how quickly it works!

SarahRose
01-12-15, 01:49 pm
I just used regular low-splash bleach and 7th Generation unscented detergent. I put the bleach in my bleach dispenser and poured a little bit directly into the drum for good measure. I can look up brand when I get home but I think they're all about the same. I have an unwashed piece of fleece I'm going to try with bleach from the beginning to see how quickly it works!
Okay, great! You'll have to keep me posted on how it goes!

SarahRose
01-12-15, 09:00 pm
Update! I washed the fleece another 2 times using bleach and detergent! One of them works really well. The towels I was using were not very good so they didn't suck up the water very well. The second one works really well in some places and not very well in others. Then the third piece works only a little bit (it's the non-pill blizzard fleece). I will wash the ones that don't work as well one more time tomorrow for a total of 6+ washes! I'll keep you updated on how it works.