PDA

View Full Version : Parasites Ivermectin + Dosage Help?

ebrix
01-09-15, 07:41 pm
Can someone help me determine the correct dosage for my guinea pigs?

1st Guinea Pig's weight: 2 lb 4.8 oz = 1 040g?

2nd Guinea Pig's weight: 2lb 8.6 oz = 1 150g?

Here's the stuff I am using:

Using a small container to mix the stuff in and water to dilute the paste too.

LoveMyHerd
01-09-15, 07:49 pm
bpatters can definitely help.

bpatters
01-09-15, 08:33 pm
You'll have to wait until i get back to my computer. Can't do this on my phone

ebrix
01-10-15, 02:01 pm
Any advice?

bpatters
01-10-15, 02:29 pm
Sorry, I'm just now back to my computer. I just can't type very much on my phone.

In my opinion, you've got the hardest kind of ivermectin to dose, because what you have will treat a 1200 pound horse or cow, so you have to dilute the heck out of it to keep from killing your guinea pig. If you ever have occasion to buy any again, this is much easier: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Ivermectin%20Pour-On%20for%20Cattle%20250%20mL. You just rub a drop of this stuff behind an ear. It's stable, and will last a long time if kept in a cool place.

That little cup you have to mix is too small. You'll need something with a lid that doesn't leak that will hold at least 22 cc.

First, read the Horse Paste section on this page to see how to dilute it to 1 mg/ml. Use water, not propylene glycol. And shake it like mad -- it needs to be thoroughly mixed. This is still way more than you want, so you're not done yet, but that'll get it down to a manageable concentration.

Then, look just above that section at the chart for oral dosage. You want about .21 cc for each pig, according to their weights. That will be at the .2 mark on the syringe you have. That's the oral dose you want to give them.

This stuff is not stable, so should be thrown away when you're done.

ebrix
01-10-15, 04:15 pm
is this one the one you'd recommend? http://www.amazon.com/Ivermectin-Pour-On-Cattle-250-mL/dp/B00JAL3AAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420927990&sr=8-1&keywords=Ivermectin+Pour-On+for+Cattle+250+mL

bpatters
01-10-15, 04:40 pm
Yes, that's the same one in both links.

lunarminx
01-10-15, 05:25 pm
If you don't mind me jumping on this. On a side note, this is a money saver for heartworm treatment. On the first link go to the reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Ivermectin-Sheep-Drench-8-oz/dp/B002BADTYG#customerReviews
http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2008/05/billion-dollar-heartworm-scam.html

spy9doc
01-11-15, 09:03 am
[QUOTE=lunarminx;913196]If you don't mind me jumping on this. On a side note, this is a money saver for heartworm treatment. On the first link go to the reviews.]

Sorry, but I don't believe that this medication you link to is good for cavies, and quite frankly, I would be reluctant to use it. It may work well for you, but I'm reluctant to recommend it for someone who has no experience with it. I don't use the paste for the same reason.

The one bpatters recommends is virtually foolproof insofar as dosage is concerned and quite safe used appropriately. A bottle of it is large enough to share with a friend and both of you will have enough for a lot of treatments.

If your cavies are adults, put two drops (literally only two drops) on the bald area behind each ear; fold the ear back and rub it in. A standard treatment protocol is to treat q-7days (every 7 days) for three weeks.

bpatters
01-11-15, 09:12 am
I wouldn't recommend those either, lunarminx, and in fact don't recommend the horse paste. There's just too much room for error in things that have to be dosed orally, and GPs already have picky digestive tracts. Besides, the sheep drench requires one drop for an up-to-14-pounds dog, so that bottle would go ineffective long before you used even a teaspoon of it.

lunarminx
01-11-15, 11:48 am
I have the cow Ivermectin for the pigs and I have yet to have to use it. I just figured I'd jump in about the sheep pour-on because the cost even after it goes bad, is cheaper than heart guard for a year. And the second link was a very good read. I'm not claiming to be a vet but you have a lot of people using it for their dogs instead of buying heart guard from the vet. Just like GP people using Ivermectin for the pigs instead of buying medicine from the vet.

lunarminx
01-11-15, 11:58 am
[QUOTE=lunarminx;913196]If you don't mind me jumping on this. On a side note, this is a money saver for heartworm treatment. On the first link go to the reviews.]

Sorry, but I don't believe that this medication you link to is good for cavies, and quite frankly, I would be reluctant to use it. It may work well for you, but I'm reluctant to recommend it for someone who has no experience with it. I don't use the paste for the same reason.

The one bpatters recommends is virtually foolproof insofar as dosage is concerned and quite safe used appropriately. A bottle of it is large enough to share with a friend and both of you will have enough for a lot of treatments.

If your cavies are adults, put two drops (literally only two drops) on the bald area behind each ear; fold the ear back and rub it in. A standard treatment protocol is to treat q-7days (every 7 days) for three weeks.

It was mentioned for dogs, I didn't think Guinea Pigs got heart worms.

spy9doc
01-11-15, 12:01 pm
I'm not claiming to be a vet but you have a lot of people using it for their dogs instead of buying heart guard from the vet.

But, we're not talking about heart worm, nor are we discussing dogs. Your analogy is like trying to compare a fish to a bicycle. Can you explain why you are suggesting something that most of us wouldn't use? Perhaps I'm missing something here? Enlighten me, please.

lunarminx
01-11-15, 12:06 pm
But, we're not talking about heart worm, nor are we discussing dogs. Your analogy is like trying to compare a fish to a bicycle. Can you explain why you are suggesting something that most of us wouldn't use? Perhaps I'm missing something here? Enlighten me, please.

Because many here have dogs, and as they order the other for their pigs, I figured they could look into this for their dogs. That is why I said could jump in and on a side note.