PDA

View Full Version : Medications Probiotics

ibeabluedevil
01-09-15, 01:10 pm
I was just wondering if you can give your guinea pigs probiotics on a regular basis just to insure that they have and maintain a healthy digestive system. My pigs have not been on any antibiotics or anything that would require them to need it as a precaution for how antibiotics can mess with the good bacteria in their gut, but I just wanted to know if it is safe and would be a good idea to give it to them regularly. If so, then what kind should I give them?

Also, my pigs recently had mites that I've been treating them for. One of my pigs had a lot of hair loss on his right back side and was itching a lot. I took him to the vet to have him checked out (I know I could've treated him and the others myself at home, but his health declined quickly and I took him to see the vet as a precaution), the vet used ivermectin to treat him for the mites and also gave me enough to treat my other four at home. After the first dose she told me to give them the second dose 2 weeks after that and it should take care of it. They are doing remarkably better with very little itching, but should I treat them with a third dose to be on the safe side to make sure the mites are totally gone? And is it safe to treat guinea pigs monthly with a dose of ivermectin to maybe help prevent a reacurance of mites, kinda like you give your cat or dog a monthly dose of flea and tick medicine?

bpatters
01-09-15, 01:38 pm
They should get three doses, 7 days apart. That'll hit all the life cycle of the mites, and should kill them all. A really bad infestation may take 4-5 treatments. I wouldn't count on treatments two weeks apart taking care of anything, because you'll be hit-or-miss on the life cycle, and may not kill them all.

Unless you're running a rescue and have a fairly constant influx of pigs whose history you don't know, there shouldn't be any reason to treat them prophylactically. Mine are over five years old, and have never seen a mite that I know of.

Your choice about the probiotics. There are no probiotics designed specifically for guinea pigs, so you really have no idea whether you're giving them anything that's better than what they've already got. If they've had antibiotics, then part of their gut flora has been killed, so you replenish with whatever you can find. But it's probably not necessary for a healthy pig.

spy9doc
01-09-15, 02:07 pm
bpatters is certainly right about the treatment cycle. As a human complementary care physician, I regularly use probiotics in my practice......and for myself since I'm indefinitely on amoxicillin. Just be aware that sometimes probiotics have the desired effect.......and sometimes not.

As an example, my Chester has a very delicate digestive system and has had large, wet mushy poops for 3-4 months and has a problem keeping weight on. I fed him BeneBac daily for two months with absolutely NO change in his stool.......so I discontinued it. Now we withhold all leafy greens from him and are feeding Critical Care twice a day with green pepper as a chaser for his Vit. C. The vet told me that it may take a month to see any change, and it has been almost a month. And, yes, the situation has improved considerably.

I buy BeneBac from Amazon and always keep it on hand. http://www.amazon.com/Bene-Bac%C2%AE-Plus-Pet-Syringes-3-Pack/dp/B007VGEGOM/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=035YZ4DF0VBKVH81P4Y5

ibeabluedevil
01-09-15, 02:22 pm
Thanks for your help!! I will treat them for the mites again with another dose of ivermectin. The last dose the vet told me to give them was on December 23, so they haven't had anymore ivermectin since then. When I treat them again, should I start all over giving them 3 doses, each being 7 days apart? And since my pigs are otherwise healthy, except for this current mite problem, I won't worry about the probiotics. They eat and drink just fine, and their poos are normal.

bpatters
01-09-15, 02:23 pm
I'd do the 7-day treatments if it were me.

spy9doc
01-09-15, 04:02 pm
I'd do the 7-day treatments if it were me.

I agree.......I'd just start a fresh cycle. Many cavy owners treat prophylactically, especially if their cavies are outdoors during the warmer months or if you buy hay directly from a farm. It's my understanding that it isn't harmful to them if not treated too often. Every three months sounds reasonable to me unless there are clear indications for more frequent treatment........anyone disagree?