Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Raspy Breathing?

Emily2014

Cavy Gazer
We just got a female guinea pig a week ago today. We havehad GP's in the past but not in the last 5 years or so. She came with a verydirty cage, (pine shavings), nothing in the cage - not even a food bowl. Shehad several open sores from scratching so much. She was immediately treated formites, and will get a second dose (Ivermectin) at the 10 day mark. Her soresare healing nicely, scabbing over and new hair growth. She is now receivinghay, and fresh veggies every day (she was not in previuos home), and I am now wondering if she is pregnant. Theysaid she had a companion that died but didn't say how long it had been. Hopefullyshe is just gaining weight nicely. My question is I can hear her breathe. She hasdone this since we got her, (so a week today) is a raspy sound. She is breathing at 50 beats perminute. I changed her bedding to paper bedding 3 or 4 days ago thinking maybeit was the pine. Sometimes you can barley detect it if at all, but when she gets excited or nervous is veryapparent. No runny nose, no crusty eyes, no coughing, etc. This is the only thing.She has a great appetite, gets excited at feeding time, is pop corning, etc. What could this be? Thanks in advance.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It could be allergies, it could be a bit of hay she snuffled up her nose, it could be a URI, or something else entirely.

Getting her off the pine was a good move -- it's no good unless it's kiln dried and has no pine odor. It doesn't sound like a URI, as she has none of the other symptoms. If she were mine, I'd continue to watch her very closely. If she develops any URI symptoms, I'd promptly go to the vet. If not, but if she continues with the noise more than another 2-3 days, I'd also see a vet and have them listen to see if the noise is deep in her chest, or more in her nasal passages or upper respiratory tract. But she might snort it out before then.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.