PDA

View Full Version : Conditions flu hit household, how to best help my surviving pig?

JennyDas
12-26-14, 03:27 pm
We lost Candle very suddenly on Christmas day. Day before, He was healthy, good weight, silky thick fur as always. Even a little loud about getting veg.

Half the household had the flu, prior. No handling once symptoms present but they are in the living room. Now everyone has the flu, heavy respiratory issues for those with asthma. Toddler is at face level with c&c cage.

I'm afraid. I don't want to lose Pepito. Not sure if it's too late, he's exposed. Don't know if we should disinfect/clean the cage with everyone sick or wait. He seems fine, eating, kind of slow. He's 4.5 years old. I know he's grieving for his brother, litter mate.

It just happened too fast. Everyone is so sick.
Should we clean the cage? Get my husband (minimal upper respiratory symptoms) to scrub and mask up? Or sit and wait? I'm sad we can't spend time with him to help him with the loss.

bpatters
12-26-14, 05:09 pm
I doubt seriously that your Candle died from any flu that the humans had. Sometimes pigs just succumb very rapidly to some unknown infection before anyone knows they're sick.

You should be proactive about handfeeding him if he's not eating enough. Weigh him daily, and hand-feed (force feed if necessary) if he's losing. He should be fine as long as you wash your hands before and after handling him and don't sneeze or cough directly in his face. Even then, he's not likely to catch anything from you, but better safe than sorry.

See http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html for instructions on hand feeding.

JennyDas
12-26-14, 05:41 pm
Pepito's doing really well. He's eating and acting normal. The kids are cutting apples in the kitchen and he's weeking for his share. He's just sleeping heavily, a bit more.

His brother was possessive of the food. Pepito use to eat quickly or when the other was asleep. I'm going to see if the non respiratory adult can clean the cage tonight.

I'll feel better when I don't feel compelled to check for signs of life for the sake of my daughters. Thank you.

You should be proactive about handfeeding him if he's not eating enough. Weigh him daily, and hand-feed (force feed if necessary) if he's losing. He should be fine as long as you wash your hands before and after handling him and don't sneeze or cough directly in his face. Even then, he's not likely to catch anything from you, but better safe than sorry.

See http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html for instructions on hand feeding.