Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Fleece bedding or carefrsh bedding in c and c cage

Diegog1955

Cavy Gazer
Ok so I'm new here and new to guinea pigs and im getting 2 guinea pigs in about 1 week. I'm buying them a large c and c cage and I was wondering what type of bedding would
be best. I can't do extremely long cleanings every day because of school and homework and I heard fleece needs to be cleaned on a daily basis. Could someone give me more info about fleece and how you have to clean it everyday? Is there any other options that aren't time consuming?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've been trying half fleece and half bedding and made a tray that fits into the coroplast base that I put the regular bedding in. I line that section with newpaper and found that Fresh News for cats (unscented) works the best on the bedding side because the pellets are too big for them to carry over on the other side when they run. The pellets are also very absorbent which works great because they spend more time there eating and drinking on that side since I have their hay and food on that side, too. I put a single layer of fleece under their pigloo on the fleece side and it collects the poop when they sleep. I just lift up the small fleece piece and empty the poop in the trash. I change that one small piece each day and wash them when I have enough for a small load. I've found these to be the easiest and cleanest cages I've had in a long time.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
No matter what bedding you use you will need to remove the poop every day. For fleece this means you can either get a banister broom and sweep it out, use a small hand held vacuum, or you can bundle up the whole fleece sheet and shake it off outside. The main issue I have with fleece is that hay sticks to it, but using a hay rack/kitchen area minimizes this.

Perhaps reading this thread might be useful to you https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...ding-story-finally-found-the-perfect-solution!

rawrimadinno8

Cavy Slave
the cage needs to be cleaned everyday regardless of what bedding you choose to use. i've used carefresh, then carefresh and fleece, and fleece by itself to try and find the best solution for my pigs. if you're looking for quick and easy cleaning then i would suggest going with fleece. in my experience the fleece is by far the easiest bedding to use and it is honestly so much easier to clean then the carefresh bedding. hay does get stuck to it though so i would suggest using a kitchen area to contain most of the food mess. it's also a lot cheaper as well. the carefresh bedding can get expensive because you have to buy it almost constantly to keep up with cage changing and spot cleaning.

honestly though the cage has to be cleaned daily no matter what. i know it seems really daunting and like alot of work when you start out but its really not that much. you'll get used to sweeping or spot cleaning and will be able to do it quickly once you've done it a bit. i have three 2X5 cages that i can sweep really thoroughly in under 15 minutes. also if you're concerned with you being busy and not having the time to dish out on long cleanings, i would set up a schedule. i had this same issue so i chose a few specific times that i would clean the cage so that i could set aside the time to clean the cages properly and make sure that my pigs were getting the best care possible even if i was busy.

bmt28

Cavy Slave
I've done both. I prefer the fleece over wood pellets. It's so easy to clean, looks better, feels better for the piggies feet. I just take the fleece outside every night and shake off the poop in the yard. It's part of my nighttime feeding routine. They get excited and all 4 start wheeking for their treats, they know they get veggies when everything is fresh and clean! It's really cute! There is really not a wrong answer, it's whatever works best for you. For example, I will probably put Carefresh in when we go on vacation so the guinea pig sitter doesn't have to worry about shaking out fleece.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.