Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Swollen leg -- support, basically

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
I haven't posted in a long time. I have three pigs: Lia, Smore and Flower. I have noticed that Lia (about 3.5 years old) has been quieter the last few days. She was eating great, but she seemed to be resting more than usual. When I went to get her last night to clip her nails, I saw this bulge coming out of her front shoulder. I immediately thought, "OMG BROKEN LEG!" but I couldn't do much about it at the time since the emergency vet doesn't "do" exotics. I figured she'd jumped out of the hammock and maybe jammed or jarred herself too hard. I took out both the hammocks that were in her cage. I didn't want to pick her up or do anything more intensive with her because I didn't want to cause her pain, and as far as I could tell, she wasn't really in a lot of pain (as far as I could tell -- we all know how guinea pigs are). Even after the "injury," she was still eating -- she tore through her nightly salad as usual, ate some pellets and munched hay.

My vet opened at 7:30 this morning, so I just went right away so that I could be there when they opened -- they're great about squeezing in emergencies. Well, it wasn't broken and it wasn't dislocated. The vet gave her pain meds, just in case, and said we are in a watch-and-wait situation. She said it's either a sprain or lymphosarcoma (I think is what she said). I would think that they'd be able to tell the difference, but apparently not. On the X-ray, it just looks like, well, swelling. If she's not better after a week, she's probably not got a sprain. The prognosis for the cancer isn't good with or without treatment, the vet said, so we'll essentially be telling her goodbye. As quickly as it (whatever it is) blew up, I want to believe it's a sprain. But at the same time, she was already acting a little different (resting more than usual) in the days before the swelling started. So I don't know.

I don't know why I'm posting about this especially since I don't know yet what's going on. I guess because you guys are probably the only ones who would really understand the range of emotions I'm having right now. Most people would shrug and say, "Meh, guinea pig, whatever." They don't realize that these critters might be small but they have mighty personalities. Lia is bossy and opinionated and sometimes just rude. I can't imagine our little herd without her.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Oh, I am sorry this is happening to you. I know sometimes it's really hard to cope with issues like this. Keep us updated on what's happening.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry. Yes please keep us updated

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Oh no, I hope it turns out to be a sprain! Did the vet say anything about a biopsy if it's not? I would think there's more than 2 things it could be?

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
Oh no, I hope it turns out to be a sprain! Did the vet say anything about a biopsy if it's not? I would think there's more than 2 things it could be?

Well, the first thought *I had was dislocation or break. The X-ray showed neither. It also didn't show an abscess, which is the other thing she mentioned that it might be. She said we'd monitor for infection, but since Lia had no other symptoms indicating infection and the X-ray didn't look like infection, she really didn't think it was that. She said it COULD be a sprain given the degree of swelling and said that that would not necessarily show up on an X-ray. The meds are a painkiller/anti-inflammatory (Metacam), and she said we should see her pick up quite a bit shortly if it's sprained. If there is no improvement by next week, she said they may need to do a blood count and aspiration of the lymph fluid. :/

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
Thought I'd update ... Lia died this morning. My kids are heartbroken over her. She had a good life, I know. She even had a good appetite right up until the end and was eating her salad voraciously last night. Thanks for your thoughts.

903165_10151526756863194_1279502314_o.jpg
Lia after a bath.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry! Did you ever find out if it was a sprain?

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss! :'(

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry! Did you ever find out if it was a sprain?

It was a cancer in the lymphatic system. After that first swelling, she got several more. But she seemed happy and even comparatively active up until last night, when she was just quieter than usual. I'm glad she went peacefully.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry! Popcorn free, Lia.
Now for my famous quote:
"Some animals come into our lives and quietly go. Others leave pawprints in our hearts, and we are never the same again."

Popcorn free in Piggy heaven, Lia. Wait patiently and someday your owner will come to join you, and you will live together forever in the joy of each others' presence.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I'm sorry she's gone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.