Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece Still Isn't Wicking

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Hello all,
I have washed my new anti-pill fleece six times, and it still isn't wicking. Is there any possible reason for this, or is it normal?
Thank you!

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Have you used any fabric softener or drier sheets while washing? That will go against the wicking process.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are you washing it in hot water, with detergent and bleach?

3GPigsplus1more

Cavy Slave
There are products out on the market for cloth diapers that you can soak the fleece to remove the barrier and it gets the fleece to wick again.

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Put a squirt of dish soap in with the detergent, and white vinegar in the rinse. That got mine wicking when several washes didn't. Make sure as well that you're using a plain laundry detergent, not one that is basically grated or powdered soap, and that it contains no fabric softeners.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
I wasn't washing it in hot water, I was washing in warm with just vinegar. This morning it was washed hot with regular detergent and vinegar. And it wicks!
Thank you everybody so much for your help! I might have been washing forever!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fleece is nearly indestructible, and you can wash it in full-on hot water and bleach with no damage and no fading of color. The only thing you have to be careful of is rinsing it enough to get the soap and the bleach out.

For all of you warm-water/vinegar washers out there, that won't kill the bacteria in the fleece.

myswtguineas

Cavy Gazer
Are you washing it in hot water, with detergent and bleach?
When I washed mine on permanent press it shrank! How do you wash it in hot??

janinehunt

Cavy Slave
When I washed mine on permanent press it shrank! How do you wash it in hot??

When preparing fabric for any usage, you should always pre-wash it so it will shrink in advance of cutting and sewing it, using the temperature and method you will be using when you wash the item in the future, ie, hot water, dryer.

myswtguineas

Cavy Gazer
I didn't make it myself. The person I purchased it form said wash cold dry low part time.

janinehunt

Cavy Slave
I didn't make it myself. The person I purchased it form said wash cold dry low part time.

Well that's a bummer, because as [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] says, piggy bedding should be washed in nice hot water. Today I had a backlog of piggy laundry, and needed to wash and dry some fast so I could use it tonight. I did a quick wash which will only wash at 60°, and the bed pads still smelled of urine. In my machine a normal wash at 95° takes over two hours, but that's what I normally use, and it does a good job.

Blake81

Cavy Slave
I brought my first piggies home tonight!! I'll post pictures tomorrow. We're not so patiently trying to let them settle in a bit.

Just wondering, has anyone had issues with 7th Generation Detergent not stripping fleece so it will wick? I had several old blankets so already washed many times (with fabric softner at the time). I've washed them 6 times on hot water with my detergent and a bit of white vinegar. Still no dice.

Could it be the blanket material? I ordered flippers but they haven't arrived yet and I plan on going to the fabric store this weekend to get the polar fleece also. Was just hoping these would work in the meantime. Instead had to buy some carefresh.

trumpetmama

Cavy Gazer
I've had similar problems. Can anyone suggest a detergent that works well to get fleece to wick? I've washed mine 7 times in a homemade detergent and it is definitely NOT wicking.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
How can you tell if the fleece has wicked? I will be getting some either tonight or tomorrow. :D

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
The water goes through right away, it does not puddle on top.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
You simply drip a couple of drops of water from about an inch above the fleece and see if it goes through right away. If it does, it's wicking.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.