Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Timothy Hay in the UK

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I found this link for a timothy hay supplier in the UK so thought I would post it for you all.

(broken link removed)

clover-crystal

Cavy Slave
Hello,

On my internet searches I found this link here: https://www.timothyhay.co.uk/ that I thought may interest you. To me, it seems pretty good hay.

clover-crystal

muffin

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I was looking for timothy hay in the uk too and found timothyhay.co.uk I haven't ordered anything from them or west wales willows yet, but their prices seem very similar for larger packs when you take into account delivery costs. Only thing is, timothyhay.co.uk is imported from Canada. I don't know if that makes a difference? Does anyone have suggestions or experience to help me decide which to buy for my guineas when I adopt them?:)

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I don't think there is a major difference between the two - If it were me I'd see which one has less postage & packaging costs :) Both hay's look like they are of high quality.

muffin

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I might choose the one produced here because less exposure to extremes of temperature, fumes, etc :)

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
Are my pigs weird?

I bought them a pack of timothy hay as I heard everyone saying how good it was, and put a pile in next to a pile of their usual meadow hay. They ate all the meadow hay, and completely ignored the timothy. I have tried several times since, and they just don't want to eat it!

stinker

Cavy Slave
I've had Timothy Hay from 'timothyhay.co.uk' twice now, and it's very nice hay, the second lot I received is a bit dusty but all in all, it is very nice! I usually get Oxbow Timothy hay, but my last lot was more brown rather than the fresh green colour, ticked me off no end and of course it is more expensive than the canadian tim hay - I still will order oxbow hay again, but for now, happy with the canadian hay. :)

timothyhay

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I just saw a link to this site from our website and thought I would clear up any queries.

If you are unsure about our hay you are more than welcome to order a sample to try.

Muffin: Its actually Uk grown timothy that suffers from extremes of weather. and as a result does not grow well in this county. Unfortunately this also means that the welsh Timothy is not a pure timothy but a Timothy mixed with meadow hay hence the "Timothy Rich".

Stinker: We are so sorry that your hay was a bit dusty with your last order. We purchase the hay by the bale as it is far more convenient to import that way. Unfortunately that means that sometimes there is a bit of dust in the hay :(, we do our best to remove it first though.

If you have any queries you are more than welcome to contact us.

Thank you

Tracey

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Are you from Timothyhay.co.uk or West Wales Willows?

timothyhay

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs said:
Are you from Timothyhay.co.uk or West Wales Willows?

Timothyhay.co.uk

piggywinkle

Cavy Slave
I was just wondering Tracey, if you see this post, how much is it to post Timothy Hay to Northern Ireland or whether you have any branches / contacts over here.

Thanks

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Yes, I would be interested to know too as a fellow Northern Ireland-er!

timothyhay

Cavy Slave
hi again :) if you could pm us your nearest town we will get back to you. thanks

timothyhay

Cavy Slave
piggywinkle said:
I was just wondering Tracey, if you see this post, how much is it to post Timothy Hay to Northern Ireland or whether you have any branches / contacts over here.

Thanks

Hi there I have done a check and here are prices based on a 3kg parcel

https://sg.royalmail.com/servlet/acedispatcher?funcId=109&pageId=service&sessionId=987b447801b98c461231a8g9db8767e7hc9&_ace_appName=consignia&_ace_page=results&Service=Royal+Mail+Standard+Parcels&Selected=1 (Royal Mail Standard Parcels) £7.95 Delivery Aim 3 Days
https://sg.royalmail.com/servlet/acedispatcher?funcId=109&pageId=service&sessionId=987b447801b98c461231a8g9db8767e7hc9&_ace_appName=consignia&_ace_page=results&Service=Royal+Mail+First+Class+%28stamped%29*&Selected=2 (Royal Mail First Class (stamped)*) £10.68 Delivery Aim 1 Day
https://sg.royalmail.com/servlet/acedispatcher?funcId=109&pageId=service&sessionId=987b447801b98c461231a8g9db8767e7hc9&_ace_appName=consignia&_ace_page=results&Service=Royal+Mail+First+Class+Recorded+Signed+For+%28stamped%29*&Selected=3 (Royal Mail First Class Recorded Signed For (stamped)*) £11.34 Delivery Aim 1 Day
https://sg.royalmail.com/servlet/acedispatcher?funcId=109&pageId=service&sessionId=987b447801b98c461231a8g9db8767e7hc9&_ace_appName=consignia&_ace_page=results&Service=Royal+Mail+Special+Delivery%26reg%3B+Next+Day&Selected=4 (Royal Mail Special Delivery® Next Day) £20.35 Guaranteed by noon next working day
https://sg.royalmail.com/servlet/acedispatcher?funcId=109&pageId=service&sessionId=987b447801b98c461231a8g9db8767e7hc9&_ace_appName=consignia&_ace_page=results&Service=Parcelforce+48&Selected=5 (Parcelforce 48) £41.95 Guaranteed 2 Days

I hope that helps

Tracey

muffin

Cavy Slave
Hello, I'm trying to decide which to use, hay from timothyhay.co.uk or west wales willows, and my dilemma is this- the west wales willows site says that this (last) year they only got one cut and that it is higher in calcium than normal. Has anyone used both so they can say their preference, and has anyone had problems from the calcium in the www hay? Any advice much appreciated. the www hay seems more appealing to me, I think it's because they're a small business, but i don't want my pigs to get kidney stones etc. The high calcium is fine just now because they're 2 months old, but it's after that worries me.

On the topic of hay, is hay from a horse supplier ok as bedding? I can't remember why but I'm pretty sure someone at the SSPCA centre said it was no good- dusty or something, I can't quite remember what the reason was. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.❤️

muffin

Cavy Slave
I got Oxbow Timothy Hay from sph supplies (in my uk online pet suppliers thread). It's great, nice and green. I got a 50lb box, and although it was £52 it's a lot cheaper that way. A kilo in my local pet shop was £8! Apparently the stuff from timothyhay.co.uk is better because it's higher in fibre, but my pigs refused to eat any of the sample they sent me! Oh well. They definitely like the Oxbow stuff! Just thought I'd post in case someone was interested.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.