PDA

View Full Version : Hair Loss my guinea pig has some hair loss around her mouth

Golden2404
12-20-14, 12:56 pm
As the title says my guinea pig has some hairloss around her mouth and was wondering if ots the result of barbaring or if its something more serious that I should be worried about. She is still eating, drinking annd grooming herself and she still comes to the front of the cage for treats and loves her behavior hasn't changed at all and there is no other hair loss anywhere.

Any information would be helpful

bpatters
12-20-14, 01:25 pm
Cheilitis, looks like. See http://www.guinealynx.info/cheilitis.html.

lunarminx
12-20-14, 04:44 pm
Oh what cute piggy lips.

Juliebbby
12-23-14, 03:15 pm
Looks like the ringworm my piggy had. Try some miconazole ointment from walmart

ashl3ym0n3t
12-23-14, 10:11 pm
NEEDING ADVICE ASAP::

I could definitely use some advice. S'Mores was missing a gigantic patch of fur on his back and has very scabby skin. His ear has a spot and under his chin. Because he's still so new, I haven't pushed my limits with him so I didn't notice it until the other day. After crying for a bit (feeling like the worst pet owner ever) I made an appointment with the vet for the next day. The vet said it was ringworm and that the spot near Marshmallows eye could be too. For S'Mores, the vet bill was about $104!!! That was the visit and the medicine. They gave me Sporanox Oral Solution that I have to give him every 24 hours for 30 days. It's only been 3 days so far and I'm not noticing much change yet but Marshmallows eyes are getting worse. His one eye that had a spot, I think he scratched it because it looks like it's bleeding a bit and his other eye now is getting yucky. There's some discharge coming out of it. I'm going to try and get him an appointment for tomorrow but I'm nervous that the visit is going to be too expensive this time.

Do you think I can switch off the oral medicine to marshmallow and use something OTC for S'Mores since his is on his skin/surface and Marshmallows is in his eye?

Also, is it still ok to give them a bath with this going on? What shampoo should I buy for them?