Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello, new member here :)

MamaJ

Cavy Slave
After creeping this board for a couple weeks I thought I would jump in and make my first post. Our family recently welcomed two female guinea pigs into our home. We "adopted" them from a friend who was needing to rehome them. Their names are Tiki and Caddy, (named by my 3 & 5 year olds lol), and they are around a year old. They have very quickly won the hearts of the whole family, even the baby (17mths) loves them. [emoji7] (our kids are ALWAYS supervised closely around them).

I stumbled across this site by trying to find out what the heck was wrong with our new guinea pigs feet. Turns out it was thankfully only dried poop. Which was easily fixed by a warm water soak. But it was great I stumbled upon here. As a first time guinea pig owner I have learned soooo much this site already in my week or so of lurking.

We have changed their pellets to Oxbow (from the cheap multi mix kind that was sent with them), and have been feeding them lots of fresh veggies. And unlimited hay of course. And we've realized that their pet store cage, which is sadly even one of the larger ones that petstores sell, is not spacious enough for our sweet girls. So we have ordered them a 2x5 c&c cage.

I have to also say, that having never been around guinea pigs before, I was completely surprised at how much personality they have. I definitely was not expecting them to be so interactive with us!

I guess I'll end this book with a picture of our sweeties! [emoji1] Tiki is the brown and white one, Caddy is the all white one.

Attachments

uploadfromtaptalk1419045646105.jpg

Fay

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums :D your piggies are adorable! I'm glad you found so much helpful information on these forums. I think the personality thing is something that surprises a lot of people. They all have such distinct ones and I also love their little attitudes at times. It's hard not to fall in love with them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have been doing all the right things, and your piggies must be very happy! Of course, they'll be even happier when the C&C cage arrives! Tiki and Caddy are very cute piggies! It looks like Caddy is a crested, and I can't really tell from the front if Tiki is an Abyssinian or a possible Teddy. Either way, they're both adorable! If you have any questions about what veggies to feed them and when, this chart has proven very helpful to many people in the past.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List
If you don't need it, I apologize, I just thought maybe if you weren't sure about the whole veggie thing... anyway, welcome!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the forum! Tiki and Caddy are both adorable!

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome!

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
HELLLOOOO and welcome!!!

MamaJ

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have been doing all the right things, and your piggies must be very happy! Of course, they'll be even happier when the C&C cage arrives! Tiki and Caddy are very cute piggies! It looks like Caddy is a crested, and I can't really tell from the front if Tiki is an Abyssinian or a possible Teddy. Either way, they're both adorable! If you have any questions about what veggies to feed them and when, this chart has proven very helpful to many people in the past.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List
If you don't need it, I apologize, I just thought maybe if you weren't sure about the whole veggie thing... anyway, welcome!
Thank you for the chart! It's is much more comprehensive than the list of veggies I was going by [emoji4]

jessieisabel

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I'm glad to hear you're learning some new things on here :) The veggie list that LoveMyHerd mentioned is definitely useful, we have a copy printed out and stuck on our fridge, in case we're ever unsure!

Good luck with your cute new pigs! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.