PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm new.

HollysMama
12-18-14, 12:22 am
Hello,

My name is Caitlin. My husband just bought me a guinea pig for Christmas. I named her Holly. She is the second guinea pig I've had. My first one was named Rocco, I had him in high school. We just wanted to introduce ourselves. I am glad I found this website. :)

omgolivia123
12-18-14, 12:48 am
Hello and welcome! It's quite lovely here :)

I would look into getting Holly a friend! Guinea pigs for sure need a companion. :)

Rywen
12-18-14, 08:10 am
Hello and welcome to the forum? We'd love to see pigtures of Holly, and I love her Christmas themed name!

HollysMama
12-18-14, 08:55 am
Thank you both! :)
I tried adding photos last night and my phone wasn't letting me. I will try again. :)

piggielover200
12-18-14, 10:01 am
Very cute piggie!! welcome to the site I hope we can answer any and all your questions!

HollysMama
12-18-14, 11:21 am
Thank you! :)

HollysMama
12-18-14, 11:33 am
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r558/HayleysMama/IMG_20141217_173142.jpg
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r558/HayleysMama/IMG_20141217_215909.jpg

Kelsie
12-18-14, 12:40 pm
Holly is a cutie. It's so nice that she got a home for Christmas. May you have many many happy years with her.

LoveMyHerd
12-18-14, 12:42 pm
Hi Caitlyn!
My name is Sofia, and I think Holly is beautiful! You should definitely look into getting her a friend and a C&C cage. What a pretty piggy!

jinxie
12-18-14, 01:03 pm
Aww! That is such a cute picture! I bet your husband has no clue what he has just done LOL I know I never thought I would become as obsessed as I have. They are really one of the best pets ever, even if they do take a lot of work (and space haha). Congrats and Welcome!

HollysMama
12-18-14, 01:16 pm
I will eventually upgrade to a C&C cage. Is it better to have them without a top or not?

HollysMama
12-18-14, 01:18 pm
Thank you Jinxie! You are very right! :) Lol.

AmberCalzone
12-18-14, 01:20 pm
Guinea pig cages don't need tops. The tops are only there to protect the pig, in case you have other animals that may want to attack it/play to hard with it or small children. If you don't have dangers to the pig, the top isn't necessary :)

Holly is beautiful. Welcome to the forum!

jinxie
12-18-14, 01:40 pm
I prefer without cage tops on a C&C but if you need them there are some ideas in the gallery. Some people use the wire shelves you see in closets. They can cut them to size at hardware stores (you want a bit longer than the C&C cage so it will stay).

But even with a top that folds up, there is so much more space to reach in and that is something I totally took for granted. I just had a pig in quarantine in one of the larger pet store cages so I got to see how it was like. The tops are the worst part cause it is so hard to get to a piggie through those doors!! How is that hole suppose to allow both your hands and a pig? lol I don't know how people can do it. I ended up taking the whole top off and putting grids (overlapped and connected with zip-ties) around the cage base for quarantine time cause it drove me nuts haha. Having a bigger opening makes everything easier. Although it may take your pig a while to get used to nothing being there (they feel a little vulnerable at first).

HollysMama
12-18-14, 03:17 pm
I would love to have a bigger cage for her. That little door is hard to get her out lol. I have two daughters 2 and 4 so I am not sure about having a cage without a top yet.

Rywen
12-18-14, 08:51 pm
Holly is gorgeous! I want to hug her too!

stevelittle9999
12-18-14, 09:39 pm
Hey I am new too, but I have a pig in need of help. I saw some kids throwing a pig in a mud hole in a new housing development. As I drove up they ran into the woods and left the pig in the mud. He was squeaking and I picked him up. Hi front feet seem broken and he just sits there suealing. He is a big fella/gal, not sure, and it cleaned up pretty good in my kitchen sink. I wish I could find the kids that did this.

stevelittle9999
12-18-14, 09:51 pm
Hey I am new too, but I have a pig in need of help. I saw some kids throwing a pig in a mud hole in a new housing development. As I drove up they ran into the woods and left the pig in the mud. He was squeaking and I picked him up. Hi front feet seem broken and he just sits there suealing. He is a big fella/gal, not sure, and it cleaned up pretty good in my kitchen sink. I wish I could find the kids that did this.

EcthalionMCB
12-18-14, 09:58 pm
sure is a beautiful piggy. reminds me of one I used to have :o

bpatters
12-18-14, 10:01 pm
Stevelittle9999, that pig needs to see a good exotic vet. Broken legs are bound to be painful, and they'll probably need to be splinted.

You need to give him hay, water, good quality guinea pig pellets (Oxbow if you can find them quickly), and vegetables (start with lettuce and bell pepper). Put them where he can get to them without moving around.

Let us know how he is doing.

HollysMama
12-18-14, 10:07 pm

Ohh my, I am glad you saved the piggie. Definitely take him to the vet for his legs. Let us know how he is doing! <3

Soecara
12-18-14, 10:08 pm

If it does have a broken foot you need to take it into an exotics vet (regular cat and dog vets do not get much training in the medical care of guinea pigs). They will need to take x-rays to confirm and asses the break. They will also need put him/her on medication for the pain.

For now you need to keep him/her confined to a small space so he/she doesn't make the injury worse. You will also need to go out and get him/her some hay ASAP, guinea pigs need food constantly moving through their digestive system and hay should make up 80% of their diet. He/she may or may not use a water bottle, but with potentially broken bones a dish of water might be hard for it to use.

stevelittle9999
12-18-14, 10:31 pm
He is trying to eat, but he just keeps squealing. His front feet just flop when he moves his legs.

AmberCalzone
12-18-14, 10:41 pm
You need to try to make it so he can't move. Restrict his cage to a VERY small space. When my pig had a spinal injury I tried to make it so he couldn't move at all the first few weeks (vets orders). He had one snuggle sac, and right outside his snuggle sac was his food and water. I didn't put the pellets or vegetables in a bowl (to prevent him from straining anything trying to reach into the bowl), but on a little mat instead. We drilled a hole into the side of his cage to stick his water bottle sprout through, to make it lower for him so he wouldn't have to reach to get it. He was only 3 weeks when this happened, and he probably had about 1x1 feet of space, maybe a bit bigger, but not by much.

Thank you for rescuing this poor baby. Would you please share where you live so we may be able to help you find a good exotics vet? We may even know one with emergency hours, so you can get him in before morning. It sounds like he is in great pain.

stevelittle9999
12-18-14, 10:55 pm
I am in Jackson MS. The pig is still screaming/squeaking laying on its side. Should I put it 'down'?

Rywen
12-18-14, 11:09 pm
Oh my, that poor piggie! You might try gently wrapping him a towel or small blanket and putting one side of the towel over his head (so he can still breathe) so he doesn't feel like he has to run away. They are prey animals so don't like being out in the open, they like covered places. I found one vet in Jackson who says they cover exotics, they open at 7:30AM http://www.northsidepet.com/

AmberCalzone
12-18-14, 11:27 pm
I don't think he needs to be put to sleep, from what you're describing. Pain medication, an anti-inflammatory, restricted cage space, some splits... but he'll probably heal fine. It will take time and money to get him right again, though.

Tarams
12-19-14, 07:09 am
stevelittle9999 what's happening with the poor piggy?

stevelittle9999
12-19-14, 10:15 am
I will be taking him to the vet in a while. He is still in pain, squeals when he moves and he will not eat. He can walk a little but he squeals, I had to wash a bunch of mud out of its mouth this morning.

Rywen
12-19-14, 10:26 am
Good luck at the vet! Guinea pigs must eat regularly so you might have to hand feed him. Here's a link to hand feeding guinea pigs: http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

HollysMama
12-19-14, 11:59 am
I will be taking him to the vet in a while. He is still in pain, squeals when he moves and he will not eat. He can walk a little but he squeals, I had to wash a bunch of mud out of its mouth this morning.

So glad you're taking him to the vet. Let us know what they say please. <3

stevelittle9999
12-19-14, 04:03 pm
All four legs are broken and he is dragging his backside when he walks. He chirps when he walks, not as much screaming, but still will not eat. Not sure what to do.

stevelittle9999
12-19-14, 04:04 pm
Can I just let him live this way? Will he get used to it?

bpatters
12-19-14, 04:11 pm
Are they broken, as in compound breaks, where the ends of the bones are separated? Or just cracked?

But honestly, I'd be tempted to put him down and get him out of his pain. Poor little guy. I'd like to break the feet of the people who did this to him.

PeanutnCookie
12-19-14, 04:34 pm
stevelittle9999 I wouldn't let him live that way. It sounds like he is in awful pain and needs to get to the vet ASAP! If the vet can't do much, I personally would put him down. One broken leg is very painful, much less four. As others have said, try to make him move as LITTLE as possible! He could injure himself even more.

PeanutnCookie
12-19-14, 04:35 pm
hollysMomma on a lighter note, Hi and welcome! Your piggy is very cute! I hope we can answer all your questions (If you have any) :)

HollysMama
12-19-14, 05:57 pm
Thank you! :)

Kenna18155
12-19-14, 07:52 pm
Welcome to the forum! You should definitely look into getting a buddy for your pig. Also, look around for shelters or rescues to get one from, or rehome one on Craigslist. Pet store piggies are often sick or pregnant (take it from me, mine was prego with three). It's best to adopt.

Your pig is so cute!!! Very cute name, as well. If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask.

Kenna18155
12-19-14, 07:55 pm
Oh, I just read the second page, and I am crying for the poor baby. Agree with bpatters, whoever did this is just plain evil and a disgusting excuse for a human being. I am SOOO mad right now. Please keep us updated :(

HollysMama
12-19-14, 11:17 pm
Thank you! :) I would love to get her a friend soon.

stevelittle9999
12-20-14, 10:21 pm
He has stopped trying to walk and he still won't eat. He does lick water I put on the counter top

Rywen
12-20-14, 10:28 pm
stevelittle9999 if he doesn't eat regularly he will die. You need to force feed him critical care or guinea pig pellet mash (the link I posted for you to guinealynx.com has the force feeding info). What did the vet say? I appreciate that you rescued him from being abused but at this point if you don't force feed him he is starving to death. If you can't take care of him or can't afford a vet please surrender him to an animal rescue or shelter.

bpatters
12-20-14, 10:28 pm
Have you taken this pig to a vet?

You need to either force feed him, or have him euthanized. Guinea pigs are created so that they MUST have food moving through their guts at all times. They won't like being force fed, and you won't like doing it, but it has to be done if he's not going to die a painful death from bloat. You won't be killing him, you'll be saving his life. See http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html for instructions on how to do it.

But given the extent of his injuries, it might be the kindest thing to have him put down.

stevelittle9999
12-20-14, 10:32 pm
What is bloat? I will work on the hand feeding, but each time I move him he screams until he wears himself out. Very sad.

bpatters
12-20-14, 10:36 pm
Bloat is the expansion of gas in the intestines, caused by fermenting food that is not moving through the digestive system.

Why won't you take him to the vet to get some pain medication? How would you like to have both your feet and both your hands broken and have someone ignore the fact that you were in terrible pain all the time?

stevelittle9999
12-20-14, 10:41 pm
I will take him in and have it put down, if that is what the vet suggests.

bpatters
12-20-14, 10:44 pm
This is more than 48 hours that this poor pig has been suffering. If you'd taken him yesterday or today, you could have found a vet clinic that was open. Now you'll probably have to wait until Monday. Why are you waiting?

stevelittle9999
12-20-14, 10:48 pm
I should not have waited, but I work a lot and I just have not been able to get to a vet during regular hours. I have the means to 'euthanize' him in a humane way and I am wondering if I should do this myself.

animalmadlover
12-20-14, 10:53 pm
I've seen a guinea pig break her leg before, it is very painful and my vet didn't even suggest a splint or anything. The kindest thing to do is to get it put down, its not worth the weeks that the poor piggie would have to spend keeping still the whole time. Its just not worth it. You can't sit down and explain to your guinea pig why he isn't allowed to move around anymore. In this case, which is pretty bad, you should really get him put down :( Poor, poor, poor piggie, I just want to help him!

stevelittle9999
12-20-14, 11:00 pm
He does nibble on my finger if I rub his mouth area.

HollysMama
12-20-14, 11:16 pm
Poor little piggie! :( I feel so bad for him!

Tarams
12-21-14, 06:18 am
stevelittle9999 I'm sorry to say this but keeping the little guy alive without pain meds is cruel. The only humane euthanasia is via lethal injection, please don't put him down at home. If you can't find a vet bring him to an animal shelter today and they will euthanize him. I understand you're trying to help him, but imagine going several days with broken arms/legs and no pain medication. He is suffering. You were very kind to take him in, but now you must either get him to a vet or to a shelter.

Fay
12-21-14, 06:41 am
Been following this thread feeling horrified. Please get the poor piggy euthanized by a vet or shelter. I can't bare to think of it sitting there in unbearable pain while starving to death.

(BTW, Welcome to the forums Holysmama, sorry but it seems your thread got hijacked a bit :p)

stevelittle9999
12-21-14, 09:51 am
I will be able to take him in tomorrow morning; he does seem a little better today. He is still trying to lick water and for some reason he eats his own poop if he can get to it without moving too much. He lets me rub his fur a little and seems to enjoy that.

Rywen
12-21-14, 11:05 am
All guinea pigs eat their own poop. It's called coprophagy, it's how they reclaim vitamins and nutrients that didn't get absorbed the first time through. They don't eat all of their poops, just the greener ones. Is he eating any hay or pellets?

HollysMama
12-21-14, 12:16 pm
Thank you Fay! :) That is alright. I just hope that little piggie gets better soon.

Please let us know what the vet tells you.

stevelittle9999
12-21-14, 12:20 pm
I gave him some cucumber and bell pepper, but he won't eat it. He is still licking at the water on the counter.

AmberCalzone
12-21-14, 12:44 pm
Have you begun force feeding yet?

stevelittle9999
12-21-14, 12:47 pm
I am going over the force feeding information now...my daughter is coming over later to help me with that. I did stick a bell pepper piece in his mouth and he juts squealed/screamed and forced it out.

LoveMyHerd
12-21-14, 12:49 pm
stevelittle9999, where are you located? I can try to locate an emergency exotics vet in your area.

stevelittle9999
12-21-14, 01:04 pm
We live in Jackson MS. My daughter is on her way over now, she has kept rabbits before.

animalmadlover
12-21-14, 01:33 pm
Gosh this is hard to read :( I really hope that it will work out soon. Poor piggie.

Tarams
12-21-14, 01:58 pm
Please, I'm begging you, get that poor pig to a vet or shelter!!!!!!! Please imagine what it must be like to go 48+ hrs with multiple broken limbs and no pain medication!

AmberCalzone
12-21-14, 02:08 pm
Your daughter can't do what is really needed for him, unless she is a cavy-savy exotics vet that does house calls :/ Please either bring him to an exotics vet (regular cat and dog vets are not equipped to properly treat guinea pigs.. but I mean, even they can probably put one to sleep) or surrender him to a shelter.

stevelittle9999
12-21-14, 03:49 pm
Guys, the force feeding does not work; he just cries and cries when we try. He will lick the water some and he will eat the poop if I put his face close to it. BTW, he has been making huge piles of poop, when he starts they come out continuously for several minutes. We are taking him to a vet today that my daughter knows about.

PeanutnCookie
12-21-14, 05:41 pm
Thank you for getting him to a vet today! It has been far too long with out a vet, but at least he will get care today. Is it an exotic vet or just a dog and cat vet?

labgirl5
12-21-14, 06:01 pm
You need to crush up some pellets with water and use a needle-less syringe to stick it in the side of his mouth and force him to eat it.

HollysMama
12-21-14, 06:14 pm
I'm glad you're daughter is coming over to help. Let us know what the vet says. :)

animalmadlover
12-21-14, 06:18 pm
Yes please keep us informed, we are really worried about him. I wish we knew who those horrible kids are, they make me so angry!!!!

Rywen
12-21-14, 09:01 pm
You said he had a lot of mud in his mouth, he probably has an intestinal infection. He may also have a broken or injured jaw.

stevelittle9999
12-21-14, 09:37 pm
I guess he could have jaw problems too, he was being tossed in a shallow mud hole with a concrete bottom. I'm sure he had been tossed several times before they ran off. And I'm sure he swallowed the muddy watter.

AmberCalzone
12-21-14, 09:45 pm
How did the vet go?

stevelittle9999
12-21-14, 09:51 pm
My daughter took him with her and she is taking him in the morning.

Kenna18155
12-21-14, 10:31 pm
Are you sure there is no emergency vet near you? This poor pig has been without food for how long, three days? You need to take him to the vet or somehow get some food into him or he'll starve to death. I'm sorry, but it's true.

stevelittle9999
12-21-14, 10:44 pm
I tried, but he would not eat anything but poop, weird little guy.

Kenna18155
12-21-14, 10:49 pm
You need to get a syringe and force feed him if you can't get him to a vet ASAP. You won't like it, and he won't like it, but it'll keep him alive.

AmberCalzone
12-21-14, 10:50 pm
This honestly isn't fair to him. There really is no excuse for not getting him to the vet in a timely manner. He should have gone the day you got him, when you expected he had broken bones. At the very latest, the next day. It's just cruel waiting this long. He's in pain, slowly starving away right now.

HollysMama
12-21-14, 10:52 pm
Poor piggie! Please let us know what the vet tells your daughter. I feel so sorry for the helpless piggie. Breaks my heart! :(

stevelittle9999
12-22-14, 10:14 am
The vet gave pain meds and set and taped the pigs feet and legs, his jaw and teeth seem to be ok. He did not know much about force feeding, but my daughter is on a mission to figure that out.

bpatters
12-22-14, 10:21 am
http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html has all the information you need to know. But if he's eating on his own, you don't need to handfeed him.

He needs a long strand grass hay (timothy, blue, orchard, meadow or brome) ALL the time -- it will keep his teeth ground down and his gut moving properly. He needs a cup or so of veggies (red or green leaf lettuce and bell peppers are the best to start with), and he needs a plain timothy pellet (no seeds, nuts or colored bits in it). Put everything close to him so he doesn't need to move much to be able to eat and drink, but change the bedding under him frequently so he doesn't get urine scald.

Post back if he does need to be hand fed if you have any questions.

Rywen
12-22-14, 10:33 am
I'm glad he saw the vet and has pain meds now, hopefully with less pain he will be more willing to eat. If you haven't already please ask your daughter to read the guinealynx.com info on hand feeding/force feeding piggies. If the vet didn't give her critical care she can use a Timothy pellet mash. If she needs syringes most pharmacies will let you have a few (or sell you a few for a small amount) if you tell them you don't want any needles and need them to feed a sick/injured animal. http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

animalmadlover
12-22-14, 01:07 pm
Can I just ask one question? I did not know that it was possible to save guinea pigs with broken legs, my vet never gave me that option saying that it was the kindest thing to do to get it put down.
Is it much more kinder to get them put down? Or do the splints (don't know what a splint is) allow them to walk without pain? I'd feel awful if I knew there had been a chance to save my baby and I couldn't because the vet didn't give me that option.

LoveMyHerd
12-22-14, 01:09 pm
A splint is just a hard frame attached to the leg to keep it in the right position.

HollysMama
12-22-14, 03:42 pm
So glad he has pain medication now! :D

Fay
12-22-14, 04:18 pm
I want to echo everyone in regards to reading about how to hand feed on Guinea Lynx and I would like to add to that, that now that the guinea pig is not being euthanized that it's important to read and learn how to look after it so it doesn't needlessly suffer further. I'd recommend reading the entire Guinea Lynx' care guide to ensure the pig is getting everything it needs.

http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

If upon reading all it's diet, housing, care requirements etc. and you feel you are able to meet these and you would like to keep the pig you will have to keep in mind that in the near future when he hopefully starts to feel better that he will need a larger cage and a guinea pig friend of the same sex (They're social herd animals who need each others company).

If you aren't prepared to meet it's care requirements which is understandable since you sort of got this dumped on you out of the blue and have probably never looked after a guinea pig before let alone such a traumatized and badly injured one. If you don't really want to have to deal with all this it's probably best to put it up for adoption on:

http://www.guineapigzone.com/

That website is linked to this website and when you put an adoption message on there it will be automatically posted on these forums and Facebook which have tons of knowledge pig owners who might be willing to take on board this special case. Just make sure to summarize what happened and the state the pig is in if you do decide to put it up for adoption.

In all honesty though the outlook for this pig is very bleak. I think that in it's current state that it's highly unlikely that he will recover enough to not suffer for the rest of his life but hey miracles can happen and I hope he will recover and will be looked after well from here on out.

stevelittle9999
12-23-14, 09:52 am
The vet did metion that he could put the pig down painlessly, but my daughter has grown attached to him and wants to nurse him back. I don't know though, his front feet are mangled and one of his back legs was snapped and at a right angle. They now 'look' correct with the tape on them. He is getting lethargic and I don't think the force feeding is working that well, but I have not spoken with my daughter about this since yesterday.

Fay
12-23-14, 10:30 am
The vet did metion that he could put the pig down painlessly, but my daughter has grown attached to him and wants to nurse him back. I don't know though, his front feet are mangled and one of his back legs was snapped and at a right angle. They now 'look' correct with the tape on them. He is getting lethargic and I don't think the force feeding is working that well, but I have not spoken with my daughter about this since yesterday.

It sounds to me like the guinea pig is not going to survive honestly. I know that it's hard but when you are responsible for the well being of an animal you have to make tough decisions on their behalf to reduce their suffering because they're unable to. I feel that this guinea pig is not going to ever be able to run and popcorn around happily and freely. This completely destroys the pigs quality of life in the long run and I do not feel that this is fair to the pig that he has to suffer just because your daughter is attached to him now.

I know it's difficult and heartbreaking and my suggestion is to take it back to the vet to see if the vet feels he's improving at all and go from there. If not then the kindest thing to do is unfortunately to end his suffering.

Since your daughter has grown attached to him and the pig might need to be euthanised. Maybe it would be a good idea to encourage her to sign up on these forums so she has access to all the wonderful information on here and help her look into adopting a couple of pigs from a shelter. There are tons out there that need good homes. She obviously cares greatly to want to try so hard to help the guinea pig. Unfortunately guinea pigs are very fragile creatures and injuries are usually devastating to their quality of life.

I also wanted to add that I think that both of you are great for taking this guinea pig on board. Sure you unknowingly made some bad judgements as to how to deal with the situation but the fact that you're trying to help him says to me you care and hoped to undo what those horrible kids did. That was a very kind and caring thing to try to do.

Kenna18155
12-24-14, 10:01 am
AMy updates on his condition?

Fay
12-27-14, 07:26 am
I would love an update as well. I hope the pig is no longer suffering or starting to recover. The silence probably means the former or just busy over the holidays.

Kenna18155
12-27-14, 10:01 am
Sorry, I meant any, not AMy. Autocorrect is terrible sometimes. I hope the piggy is healing well.

Tarams
01-03-15, 07:30 am
How's the piggie stevelittle9999

HollysMama
01-04-15, 11:38 pm
Update about the piggie?? I hope he's okay!