Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Midwest Midwest and c+c cage?

Banshee

Cavy Slave
I am getting a pet room soon, and I was planning on extending my pigs cage-kinda. I might give one half of a cage to another male (as my pig hasnt been living with a pig in over a year, so I dont want to make him share space, so I think it would be better for him to just have a neighbor he can talk to), but it will still be a larger cage for my pig. I plan on using my midwest cages as a back half of the cage and cubes as a front, and then having a platform all along the back half (as his neighbor would get the longer part of the cage I would give the other future pig a second level along the back so he can have more room). Here is an over view of the room that I very quickly tossed together:
Untitled_zpsbb824466.jpg

And no the pig and the rat wont get by each others cages-I will have a partition to keep them from seeing each other during playtime.

Any ideas on how to put such a thing together?

Banshee

Cavy Slave
Bump? I'm working on the pet room soon and I would like to know!

Also my basement is heated/air conditioned and its redone, but it still gets a bit cooler down there (not much of a difference then the rest of the house, maybe 5 degrees colder? Thats like max), would a skinny be out of the question? I want to either get a skinny pig or a texel, so I was wondering if the coolness would make it not ideal for a skinny.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Hummm... The layout looms fine tbh o.o what was the question? I'm good at doing cage-room set ups

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
What's the normal temp?

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
Skinny pigs should be in a warm room at all times. What's the average temperature in your basement?

Banshee

Cavy Slave
Hummm... The layout looms fine tbh o.o what was the question? I'm good at doing cage-room set ups
I was wondering what the best way to put the cage together so it looked nice and was functional and such :) Basically just tips.
What's the normal temp?
I'd have to check, but its in the 70's
Skinny pigs should be in a warm room at all times. What's the average temperature in your basement?
The basement is in the lower 70's/late 60's depending on various things. I would of course just get a regular pig if that was too cold-just wondering if a skinny would work at all :)

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
I think you'd do better keeping a skinny pig upstairs,

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
A skinny pig would likely be ok in the upper 60s IF you could have two. They really use each other for body heat so if you had an igloo or house and two skinny or hairless animals and monitored closely you could probably make it work.

Banshee

Cavy Slave
A skinny pig would likely be ok in the upper 60s IF you could have two. They really use each other for body heat so if you had an igloo or house and two skinny or hairless animals and monitored closely you could probably make it work.

ah ok. I am highly dependent on this other pig being kept alone (as I cannot have three) so I'll likely get something like a texel or Abby as I adore those two breeds as well). And I would only ever adopt a pig and house it alone if it was used to solo life btw.

I think you'd do better keeping a skinny pig upstairs,

the whole idea of keeping a second pig would be to keep it downstairs to keep my pig company :)

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Why can't you keep the new pig with your current pig?

Banshee

Cavy Slave
Why can't you keep the new pig with your current pig?

I would prefer for him to have his own space as he has lived alone since his past owner got him (And I dont know where she got him from or if the home before that had fellow pigs), and that was on April 6th, 2013, so he has been alone approaching two years-and maybe longer. I would hate for him to get territorial, not to mention I feel more comfortable just housing them in a cage so they can talk and such-that way I never have to worry about them falling out or anything.

I also was considering making a cage out of plywood and 2 by 4s instead, and using the midwest bars as a front wall, and lino as a floor. What are your thoughts on this?

Fay

Cavy Slave
As long as they're all male I don't see the harm in trying to introduce them to each other? They might act territorial for a bit and occasionally show dominance but as long as no blood is spilled they will be fine. Then you can combine all the cage space and they will all have more room if so.

The lonely pig would also be happier with friends. Guinea pigs are social herd animals and it's very rare for a pig not to prefer that. Especially if you haven't tried to rule it out first. That the pig was alone a couple of years doesn't matter. If anything it means it's high time you tried to see if they will be friends :)

https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

Banshee

Cavy Slave
As long as they're all male I don't see the harm in trying to introduce them to each other? They might act territorial for a bit and occasionally show dominance but as long as no blood is spilled they will be fine. Then you can combine all the cage space and they will all have more room if so.

The lonely pig would also be happier with friends. Guinea pigs are social herd animals and it's very rare for a pig not to prefer that. Especially if you haven't tried to rule it out first. That the pig was alone a couple of years doesn't matter. If anything it means it's high time you tried to see if they will be friends :)

https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions
I was planning on building the cage split so in the future I could keep males and females-I suppose I could certainly get a male pig and try to bond them, but for whatever reason my area has more females up for adoption (however all the stores sell males and we dont have any breeders for miles around? It makes no sense to me)... I have a cage idea in my mind that would great for male/female caging as it has no bars in between them but they could smell and talk to each other.... Sorry I'm rambling.

Fay

Cavy Slave
I was planning on building the cage split so in the future I could keep males and females-I suppose I could certainly get a male pig and try to bond them, but for whatever reason my area has more females up for adoption (however all the stores sell males and we dont have any breeders for miles around? It makes no sense to me)... I have a cage idea in my mind that would great for male/female caging as it has no bars in between them but they could smell and talk to each other.... Sorry I'm rambling.

Ah, I didn't know the other pigs were female. They wouldn't be able to live together unless the male was neutered which can be risky so it would be better to adopt. You could just keep actively looking?

Banshee

Cavy Slave
Ah, I didn't know the other pigs were female. They wouldn't be able to live together unless the male was neutered which can be risky so it would be better to adopt. You could just keep actively looking?

Yeah I'll keep looking :) This is all in theory though that my dad ok's me getting a companion (He is very against getting more pets at the moment, so I was planning on holding off until my elderly hamsters pass (one is approaching two years, and the other is approaching one, but the one year old has a genetic problem that shortens his life span to around a year, and my elderly guy is having troubles with various things but so far has gotten past each one), so that we had 3 small pets vs 4 small pets (as we also have a bunch of others on top of this). So that was kinda my idea...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.