PDA

View Full Version : New guinea pig lover in Cleveland

heatheramyprice
12-14-14, 12:47 am
hi all!

A friend gave us Lindsey and Goldie a couple of weeks ago and taught us the basics-- provide hay and pellets and water at all times, fresh veggies or fruit twice a day, lots of cuddling. We've been getting to know our gals and I have three questions.....

Goldie doesn't want us to pick her up. The only way we can pick her up is to be super quick and kind of trap her. Once we have her in our arms she's thrilled to be cuddled and petted. But GETTING her is a challenge! Lindsey lies still for us and squeals a bit (I hope it's a happy squeal...). Is Goldie still getting used to us? It's been a couple of weeks already....

We are Orthodox Jews and cannot touch our piggies on the Jewish Sabbath or holidays. For the Sabbath we pick them up on Friday afternoons and again on Saturday nights. putting food in their pen is no problem. So they're getting cuddle attention once a day. But sometimes we have 2-3 day holidays--- how crucial is it that they be picked up every day? If it's really crucial I'll invite non Jewish friends over to give them loving... but I wonder.....

Third question is exercise. I understand letting them have the run of the floor is important so I take them out of their pen every day and put them on the floor. And they proceed to stand there looking around. Do I need to get them moving more? How? These gals are extremely sedentary (unlike my hamster!)

Thanks all!

Heather in Cleveland

miniver
12-14-14, 07:45 am
Welcome to the forum.

Lots of guinea pigs don't like to be picked up. I have to chase both of mine and have a good hold on them when I carry them anywhere. It may help to pick them up in a towel, box or hidey. They have less of a sensation of being in the air.

It's not necessary to pick them up every day. I think many would be happy if they never got pick up at all. :o You can sit by the cage and talk to them.
You may need to be prepared to handle a sick guinea pig. I hope it never happens but there may come a time when you have to provide medical care on a holiday.

Exercise is important but not all guinea pigs like floor time. How big is your cage? It should be large enough for them to do laps a full speed. They love tunnels and boxes to hide in and run through. Try adding those to your floor time area. You can also hide food around for them to find.

Ask questions anytime. This site has very helpful and knowledgeable people.

heatheramyprice
12-14-14, 09:40 am
You may need to be prepared to handle a sick guinea pig. I hope it never happens but there may come a time when you have to provide medical care on a holiday.

absolutely---- if an animal is sick and needs care I'll be able to pick her up. But just to pick her up for fun is not allowed--- we can't cause an animal to shed on the Sabbath. And every time I pick up my piggies, they shed! :)

yep they have a large pen and OCCASIONALLY will chase each other, but it's rare. More often than not they just sit around. They're having floor time now and I have a pvc pipe and tunnel thingie and they go partially in, come back out, and sit there. lol

thanks!

pinky
12-14-14, 09:42 am
It's not a problem not to pick them up every day. As long as they have food and water, they should be fine.

miniver
12-14-14, 11:19 am
absolutely---- if an animal is sick and needs care I'll be able to pick her up. But just to pick her up for fun is not allowed--- we can't cause an animal to shed on the Sabbath. And every time I pick up my piggies, they shed!

I thought I would just learn about guinea pigs on this forum but I've learned just as much about people too!. Thanks.

Rywen
12-14-14, 12:09 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum, we'd love to see pigtures of Lindsey and Goldie! Piggies are prey animals so all they are thinking when we chase them is "help, it's a big predator that wants to eat me!". I pick my piggies up using a cuddle sack, they are much less stressed that way (if they aren't cooperating I get them between two cuddle sacks so they have to go into one or the other). Talking to them, lap time, and a lot of hand feeding veggies is the way to earning their trust. I don't hold mine every day because I don't always have time and they are fine, they keep each other entertained. As to floor time, many piggies don't like wide open spaces above their heads. Try draping a towel or fleece over something they can play under. Also putting small piles of veggies around can get them moving, at least from pile to pile. Do you know how old they are? Age can affect exercise level.

plum22
12-14-14, 02:00 pm
I'm about an hour or so south of cleveland :) welcome to the forum! I agree with the others I just wanted to add that fruits shouldn't be fed daily as they are too high in sugar!