Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Midwest C&C vs Midwest

CtrldChaos

Cavy Slave
Hello fellow cavy lovers!!

When I originally got my cage I only had one piggie. But after reading all of your lovely advice and comments I got her a friend. They are a total riot to watch together! Anyway, the cage I have now is really only made for 1 piggy. I am looking into investing into either at 2x4 C&C or I just discovered the Midwest Interactive Guinea Pig Habitat Plus cage. I have a few questions:

Which do you personally prefer and why?

Will either of these fit 2 piggies comfortably??

Which are easier to expand (will be sticking with 2 piggies, but will probably make a "super palace" some time in the future)?

Which is easier to clean?

Thank you so much for all of your kind advice!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I love the c&c cage because you can reconfigure them and that becomes a hobby for some of us. I have mine built with a 2 grid stand and its great for the back, they are high up so they are less skittish. C&C is much easier to expand/reconfigure and clean.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
I would also go with the C&C. They're larger, more fun, and in my opinion have more cuteness appeal.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
From my experience I would get the C and C as I had one pig in a Midwest got another and them together in a Midwest was too small so I switch to c and c cages.
For your questions,
1. C and C. I think the build of it is better than a Midwest to. it as a stiff base unlike the Midwests canvas and sturdier side grids.

2. It think some people have two pigs in Midwest on here but from what I read many people have two pigs in a 2 by 4. I personally think a Midwest is too small for two pigs, it got smellier and dirtier whit two pigs in it when I still used the Midwest cage.

3. Don't know about this as I have never expanded on any of them.

4. They are both fairly easy to clean as they are both open topped but with the Midwests canvas base it stains easily and the stains are a pain in the butt to get off.

dearpokey

Cavy Slave
Yes C&C cages are much more popular but look at the fun you can have with 2 MWs! The layout I have is equivalent to a 2X7 or 2X8 with a 2X2 loft. There are a number of hideys and places for my 3 girls to go

Attachments

IMG_1303.jpg IMG_1248.jpg IMG_1247.jpg IMG_1246.jpg

CtrldChaos

Cavy Slave
Yes C&C cages are much more popular but look at the fun you can have with 2 MWs! The layout I have is equivalent to a 2X7 or 2X8 with a 2X2 loft. There are a number of hideys and places for my 3 girls to go

I am really leaning more toward getting 1 Midwest now since my piggies are still babies, and then adding on a second unit prob. at the beginning of next year. Would 1 MW be enough for 2 baby piggies?

Also about how many individual grids would I need to made a 2x4 C&C cage with a lid?? (we have a very curious cat ;)

dearpokey

Cavy Slave
1 MW seemed good for my 2 3wk old babies but it only lasted for a few months, they started fighting and bickering. Since I already had a MW I decided to add another one and made the cage into an "L" formation. That worked real well but after I got my 3rd girl I knew I needed to make the space as useable as possible. If you do go with the MW cage I would highly recommend this long formation for when you expand and make sure to remove all dividers. Then you can really get creative and add a loft or 2...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'll get maximum flexibility and expandability with a C&C cage compared to a Midwest. You can assemble the stuff and make your own (click the Main tab at the top of this page for information), or order one from www.guineapigmarket.com. Closet shelving makes an excellent lid. It also makes an excellent cage, for that matter.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
This is really creative!

Glockenspiel

Cavy Slave
I have the same problem xD I'm not sure what to get. I like how the C&C cage looks but I like the Midwest better because it is much easier to expand in my opinion. If I had the Midwest I would just buy another unit/cage and add it on but for C&C cage I would probably have to cut a new sheet of coroplast. I'm still trying to decide though before I spend a lot of money on one.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
With midwest cages it's hard to change it when you want to. With C&C cages you can. For my two girls I started with a 2X3 then changed it to a 2X5 for 3 girls then to a 3X4 and now it is a 2X6 L shape with a kitchen.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
I have the same problem xD I'm not sure what to get. I like how the C&C cage looks but I like the Midwest better because it is much easier to expand in my opinion. If I had the Midwest I would just buy another unit/cage and add it on but for C&C cage I would probably have to cut a new sheet of coroplast. I'm still trying to decide though before I spend a lot of money on one.
A new MW cage would cost upwards to 40$ a new sheet of Coro from HomeDepot about $15 with taxes. I do like the MW cages but they are not for me I changes my cages way too often.

CtrldChaos

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for your kind words, and helpful advice. After lots of consideration I chose the Midwest cage. It should be here any time now! :)

WheekedGoodPigs

Cavy Slave
I wouod like to see how a Midwest looks with 2 adult pigs in it if anyone would have pictures to share...

Scooterpig

Cavy Slave
I have Midwest cages - I joined two into a square formation. If you look on the Midwest sub forum there's loads of info and pictures of different things people have done with them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.