PDA

View Full Version : new here :)

haileykk
12-11-14, 10:18 pm
Hi guys! I'm new to guinea pig ownership and just got my 6 week old male Peruvian piggy two days ago :) so far he's really sweet but has been crying a lot, I assume he misses his friends. I put in a stuffed animal for him and it seems to help he lays on it :) I have a blanket on his cage just so he can calm down for the first few days, but his cage is in a busy area of the house so even though the blanket is over it he hears everything. I have been giving him lap time which he loves, he makes little chirpy noises to me. Anyways his name is Komet and he's got a black facethen a white middle and a black butt! Any tips would be appreciated in my piggy journey!

AmberCalzone
12-11-14, 10:26 pm
Welcome :)
My biggest tip would be to adopt Komet a friend as soon as possible. You can find adoptable pigs at your local shelter, on petfinder, on guineapigzone, craigslist, facebook groups, etc.

You're spot on that he misses his friends. Guinea pigs are herd animals and do much, much better with a friend of the same species. All the human love and attention in the world can't compare to a social guinea pig (in most cases. Very rarely you have a pig who is too aggressive to live with others, but that is the exception not the rule. And honestly, they probably just haven't found their perfect match yet. I know someone who tried pairing his pig up with different friends for YEARS before she found the baby she loves now*). Getting him a friend will help him settle in as well, and come out of his shell a bit.

*this person kept ALL the guinea pigs he adopted, even if they didn't work out with his previous lone piggy. I don't remember his exact amount, but I believe it was somewhere between 16-20. All had proper cages, food, etc and he always got them proper vet care when needed. It was a lot of pigs but he could handle it!

bpatters
12-11-14, 10:30 pm
Welcome!

Ditto AmberCalzone on getting him a friend. Also, if you bought a pet store cage, it's most like not large enough for one pig, much less two. Click on the Main tab at the top of this page for information on C&C cages and recommended sizes.

Two other good sources of information for new guinea pig owners are http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html and http://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html. Also read the articles on this site and at www.cavyspirit.com, as well as the stickies at the tops of the various forums on here.

Rywen
12-12-14, 12:52 am
Hi there and welcome to the forum! We'd love to see a pigture of Komet. He definitely needs a friend that speaks piggie, so he won't be so lonely.

pinky
12-12-14, 04:57 am
I agree about getting him a friend asap. Since he's so young and is lonely, it should be easier for him to bond with another guinea pig. Contact your local guinea pig rescue to see if they'd allow you to bring him so you can find a friend that he likes. I'd also suggest you make sure your cage is large enough so he has ample room to run and grow.

guin2567
12-14-14, 12:21 pm
Ie have had guineas for 3 years, tha mane thing you need to know is guinea pigs, cage space and what foods they can and cant eat. But make sure you know pleanty about them so they can have a happy healthy life, congratzs to your new owner ship

guin2567
12-14-14, 12:24 pm
One more thing, you may want to get him a piggy friend so hes not lonley