PDA

View Full Version : Sick Did my guinea have a stroke????

JillyPOP
12-09-14, 12:54 am
I think my little Penelope had a stroke, but I'm not sure.
She has never had a problem before. This evening I took her with me to get something to eat. At the drive thru window I asked if I could have a tomato slice for her. I have it to her and she nibbled on it. She seemed less active than usual but okay. So we got home and I went to put her in her cage. I remember around that point I noticed she was not kicking a lot like she usually does. I set her in her cage and she fell over to the side, then got up and drug herself a second. I immediately picked her up and set her on the carpet. She was limp on her right side and couldn't walk, she was kind of dragging herself. I noticed her right paw dragging behind her. I scooped her up and held her to me and took her into the bedroom to call my husband. A moment later as she was on the bed she hopped like normal. She then began walking like normal. She wasn't limp at all. I took her to her cage and she drank water and ate as if nothing happened. Does it sound like my baby had a stroke? First I wondered if she'd been poisoned from the tomato but then I wondered if she'd been scared or nervous about our outing. She'd never been out like that before.
Any insight appreciated!!!

Guineas Galore
12-09-14, 01:04 am
Whether she did or didn't, that sounds like very unusual behavior and you should consult a guinea-wise vet ASAP!
This sounds like a lie or death situation and she may need urgent medical help! :/

JillyPOP
12-09-14, 01:10 am
Of course, unortunately there isn't anything I can do until the morning, but I checked on her just now and she's the same ole Penelope as usual.....hopping, eating and drinking. That makes me a little relieved but I know what happened isn't normal.

JillyPOP
12-09-14, 01:11 am
I've read guineas are very easily scared.....I wonder if something spooked her.

Guineas Galore
12-09-14, 02:16 am
JillyPOP It's true that they can be spooked easily but they would react by jumping or fleeing, I've never had any of my 15 guinea pigs (nor the other 7 or so that have passed away) react by going completely limp on one side. The only thing that confuses me is that you said her right side went limp? I'm pretty sure during strokes it's the same side as the heart. I could be wrong.
Also, what colour is your piggy, how old is she and where did you get her from? This information could be useful. c:

JillyPOP
12-09-14, 02:30 am
JillyPOP It's true that they can be spooked easily but they would react by jumping or fleeing, I've never had any of my 15 guinea pigs (nor the other 7 or so that have passed away) react by going completely limp on one side. The only thing that confuses me is that you said her right side went limp? I'm pretty sure during strokes it's the same side as the heart. I could be wrong.
Also, what colour is your piggy, how old is she and where did you get her from? This information could be useful. c:

Yes I noticed the right side. Then she was suddenly fine.
I got her at Petsmart and she's just under or right about at a year old. Mostly white except for a black patch and blue eyes.

Guineas Galore
12-09-14, 02:50 am
JillyPOP Yeah, the fact that she's from PetSmart may indicate some sort of inbreeding. They don't treat their pets well...
(Warning, next two videos are a bit graphic but could help explain what I mean and reveal why you should always adopt)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOKSMmbHMeI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQGWMCTAW9E
This honestly makes me cry ):

Fay
12-09-14, 03:22 am
What are you feeding her? Brand of pellets, any treats you give, and vegetables etc.? There might be something in those that is making her unwell or it could be something else like a neurological, infection, or a physical ailment. Have you noticed any changes in behavior? Loss of weight?

She sounds extremely unwell and you should get her checked over by a cavy savvy exotic vet as soon as possible.

I would also refrain from taking her out for trips as that can be very stressful on the pig and she might pick up all kinds of illnesses. Does she have a cagemate exhibiting any symptoms?

Guinepig
12-09-14, 06:23 am
@JillyPOP (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=33656) Yeah, the fact that she's from PetSmart may indicate some sort of inbreeding. They don't treat their pets well...
(Warning, next two videos are a bit graphic but could help explain what I mean and reveal why you should always adopt)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOKSMmbHMeI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQGWMCTAW9E
This honestly makes me cry ):
I watched that a while ago, and I was so upset!

bpatters
12-09-14, 08:09 am
It could be a stroke, or it could be a vestibular disturbance -- the vestibule of your ear is what controls your balance. For whatever reason, sometimes something affects it/them, with accompanying falling or disorientation. It may clear up immediately, or last for days, or weeks or months.

Whether stroke or inner ear problem, there may not be anything to be done for it. I'd watch her carefully for a couple of days, unless she gets worse. But neither is an illness that can be very successfully treated in guinea pigs, as far as I know.

JillyPOP
12-09-14, 12:55 pm
Here is my baby today, nibbling/kissing my cheek. I've been keeping an eye on her intensely and she 'seems' fine.

LoveMyHerd
12-09-14, 01:27 pm
I would still take her to the vet. She might have some heart problems that you would want to be aware of. By the way, she's very cute!

guin2567
12-14-14, 10:34 pm
Awwwwww sooo cute and if you have the money i recomend taking her to the vet