PDA

View Full Version : Conditions Guinea pig not breathing right?

piggy_mom
12-05-14, 07:01 pm
Hi everyone, my guinea pig buster died from URI on november 28. i have been watching his cage mate Spot for signs of URI and he just today starting started breathing weird. its like his nose is stuffed, and he can't breath right. Its hard to explain. He is eating and drinking well. He runs around during floor time and his heart is beating properly.

Fay
12-05-14, 07:10 pm
Check if he's got anything stuck in his nose or mouth. Does he have a runny nose? Coughing or sneezing a lot? How long has he been having trouble breathing? It might be worth getting him looked at by a vet as soon as possible.

http://www.guinealynx.info/uri.html

piggy_mom
12-05-14, 07:33 pm
No, he doesn't have anything stuck in his nose or mouth. No runny nose. No coughing or sneezing at all. He just started today when i did his daily checkup.

piggy_mom
12-05-14, 09:47 pm
Bumping this up.

bpatters
12-05-14, 09:50 pm
Sounds like he's snuffled something up his nose. Is he doing it all the time, or just occasionally?

piggy_mom
12-05-14, 09:52 pm
Snuffle! thats the word i'm looking for!

He does it every time he breaths, so i guess that makes it all the time.

bpatters
12-05-14, 10:10 pm
I don't have any idea how successful a vet might be at getting something out of a pig's nose. Their noses are pretty small, so it would be hard to get an instrument up there to get it out. And the pig would probably have to be sedated. If it gets any worse, or continues for much longer, you should probably see an exotic vet.

dani_starr
12-05-14, 10:20 pm
Was it possibly nearing the end of the hay, and there were are a lot of dusty bits left?

Reason I ask is yesterday, I woke up to a horrible noise coming from my piggies cage. My male piggy was making a noise that sounded like a mixture between someone sawing cardboard and a wheezing/hooting. It was really loud, and he didn't seem to be bothered by it at all. He ate his veggies happily, ate hay, drank, acted like a normal piggie. It sounded like it was coming from his nose, and sounded similar to reverse sneezing in dogs. He did this for about three hours, and then he coughed, and it all stopped.

I noticed they had ate so much hay they were down to dusty bits, and my guess is that he snorted some up on accident while eating.

Not saying that this is the case with your piggy, but it could be. Definitely take him to the vet if it continues on for a long time or gets worse.

piggy_mom
12-06-14, 08:50 am
He stopped today after he sneezed a couple times last night. Thanks for your help!

Fay
12-06-14, 09:05 am
Yup, silly piggies are known to occasionally snort up their hay in their rush to devour it all :D

foggycreekcavy
12-06-14, 09:23 am
I'd continue to keep a close eye on him, and perhaps weigh him daily for a week or so to make sure he's eating his usual amount.

Fay
12-06-14, 10:02 am
I'd continue to keep a close eye on him, and perhaps weigh him daily for a week or so to make sure he's eating his usual amount.

If you do weigh daily, keep in mind that his weight will fluctuate a fair amount every day, throughout the day just like us humans. So do not get alarmed if there's a slight difference and try to weigh in the morning before he's been fed so that a full stomach doesn't skew the readings too much. Only become alarmed if there are significant changes in weight that persist and increase/decrease over several days. Honestly, I think you will be fine weighing twice a week for now until the piggy is in the clear, This sounds like it was a false alarm. Just in case continue to monitor your pig while he eats and make sure he's defecating/peeing as well, that his breathing stays normal and he doesn't continue to sneeze. If nothing changes in the next two weeks just go back to your usual care routine of weighing weekly and spotting the obvious signs of illness/injury.

foggycreekcavy
12-06-14, 10:11 am
If you do weigh daily, keep in mind that his weight will fluctuate a fair amount every day, throughout the day just like us humans. So do not get alarmed if there's a slight difference and try to weigh in the morning before he's been fed so that a full stomach doesn't skew the readings too much. Only become alarmed if there are significant changes in weight that persist and increase/decrease over several days. Honestly, I think you will be fine weighing twice a week for now until the piggy is in the clear, This sounds like it was a false alarm. Just in case continue to monitor your pig while he eats and make sure he's defecating/peeing as well, that his breathing stays normal. If nothing changes in the next two weeks just go back to your usual care routine of weighing weekly and spotting the obvious signs of illness/injury.

Yes, weighing at the same time each day minimizes the chances that there will be normal weight fluctuations.

Since this pig's companion passed away not too long ago, if it were my pig I'd be overly cautious. URIs can be silently brewing, and the fact that prey animals hide their illnesses could mean that he might suddenly seem very, very sick.

Lewis3265
12-06-14, 10:54 am
Please take him to a vet. He could have pneumonia. My guinea pig died from that last year. I did take her to the vet before hand but, she passed a couple months later. The vet gave her antibiotics.