Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Lucky Number Five

• Thread starter dagwellismypigy
  • Start date

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I'm might be getting a new piggie!!!!!Tommorow I'm going the the local SPCA that has a single male pig there. I don't think they know much about guinea pigs though. They say to feed him alfalfa even though he's an adult. His name is Patches, but if I get him I'm changing it to Bacon. The only reason I won't get him is if he and Chewie don't get along. I'm going to introduce Chewie and Bacon together first because Chewie doesn't really get along with anyone else in the cage and by introducing them first I'm hoping they'll bond and be a closer to each other. Which brings me to my question. If I take Chewie into meet the new pig, do I still quarintine? Do I quarintine Chewie with the new one? They'll all be in the 3x5 cage with a 1x3 loft after the quarintine.

Now I'll shut up and get to what your all waiting for... the picture!!lol

:lovestruc

my_oreo_cookie

Cavy Slave
oh hes VERY cute. Nice pick...hehe i wrote Nick Pice. (sorry)

Fluff_n_roll

Cavy Slave
Aww sooo cute.

To quarentine is to keep them seperate (different rooms) for up to 3 weeks to make sure they don't catch anything from each other. I didn't quarentine Finn (only for maybe a week) and later all of a sudden Toup'e got sick. So i'd quarentine them for at least 2 weeks. Check around your vets and see if they give free check ups to new pets. Some do some dont, here they give free check ups to new pets, but if something is rong witht he pet then you have to pay for every thing but that way you get a free check up.

I hope you get to adopt the little cutie

C&K

Cavy Slave
I can understand wanting to know if the two of them well get along, but you are putting Chewie at risk by introducing him to a shelter animal. You can call the shelter and ask about certain things, they may be a great shelter, and if he is separate from other guineas, and has been there 3 weeks with no problems, then the risk may be very low. In a perfect situation, you would bring Bacon home or to a friend or relatives, wait 3 weeks and then introduce him to Chewie. I would think long and hard about the benifits and risks of doing this. Last thing you need is another guinea ganging up on Chewie, however you don't want his health to be the price of premature introductions.

If you do introduce them, then I would qarentine them together afterwards. Maybe it would help if they spent 3 weeks together and then met the rest of the crew... May feel like they have a friend in the park...

Honestly I am not sure what I would do in your situation... Maybe adopt him and quarentene him separately, then introduce him to Chewie, if they don't get along after a week or two, look at rehoming Bacon yourself?

Generally the only place where it is really safe to introduce a new pig to match for personality is at a reputable rescuer...

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Cavies-and-Kids said:
Honestly I am not sure what I would do in your situation... Maybe adopt him and quarentene him separately, then introduce him to Chewie, if they don't get along after a week or two, look at rehoming Bacon yourself?
Do you honestly think I could adopt a pig and then say "Oh, I don't want him anymore." I wouldn't want to do that to him. I couldn't.

I'm thinking I will take my chance at illness with Chewie. I'm pretty sure he will be ok, but if he does get sick, I have a great vet. I mean I risk getting sick everytime I go to school. Ok, maybe not.

Oh, the drama:melodrama heehee.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Do you honestly think I could adopt a pig and then say "Oh, I don't want him anymore." I wouldn't want to do that to him. I couldn't.

I can understand... I don't think I could either.

I'm thinking I will take my chance at illness with Chewie. I'm pretty sure he will be ok, but if he does get sick, I have a great vet. I mean I risk getting sick everytime I go to school. Ok, maybe not.

This is true, however a chest infection is not a life threatening condition for you. I would sleep on it, decide in the morning what is right. Hopefully it will go ok.

One thing I would consider if you do get him is give a mite / lice treament with either Ivermectin or Revolution to both Chewie and the new one just as a preventative. I am suggesting Chewie because if the new one is infested, they will jump to Chewie before they are all killed off.

Bacon is a doll though. Try to keep in mind though that if Chewie is a little grumpy that it may not look like a perfect match at the first meeting, however if given a few days, they may work it out... Maybe giving Chewie 3 weeks with the new one would change the dynamics in the group when they rejoin...

I dunno... Hopefully somone else can shed some insight on this...

iLoveDusty

Cavy Slave
He is a cute little munchkin!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If you do take Chewie to introduce him to Bacon, and they get along well, I think quarentining them together is probably a good idea. They'll have already been around each other anyway, so no one would get lonely while you keep the new guy away from everyone else for a couple weeks. Would Chewie miss his other cagemates though?

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure he wouldn't miss the other pigs. They aren't really bonded. I think that is the best choice. I just don't want to subject Chewie to ilness. Maybe I should get one of those hazmat uniforms. :rolleyes:

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
:crazy: I just got an image of a teeny tiny hazmat suit for Chewie. TOO funny! Patches/Bacon is SO adorable. I don't know how you could resist him, and if Chewie is the deciding factor, I would personally risk it and bring him along. As long as you can keep an eye on them both and could get them to the vet at the first sign of anything, you should be fine quarantining them together away from everyone else.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
WEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! He's HOME!!! I decided to take Chewie in with me to meet him. Patches does indeed have mites,poor baby, so I will give all the pigs in my house preventintive ivermectin, just to make sure.

Bacon (Patches) is a sweetheart time 10. He's really laid back and he and Chewie just hit it off. ON the car ride home they were all cuddled up. Bacon has a really cool voice/wheek, it sounds different from any wheek I've heard.

I'm in love and so is Chewie.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
YEAH! That is so fantastic that Chewie and Bacon get along so well. I just know everyone will have a long happy life together! :)

Zeander

Cavy Slave
Great, congrats! He certainly is adorable, and the name Bacon is great!

JennG

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad you decided to adopt him. He is the sweetest thing. Glad to hear Chewie and him are fast friends. Have fun with that lot of boys!!!

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I think he may have been in an abusive home, he's terrified of my hand when I try to pet him and screams bloody murder. He's fine once you get him out though. He's a talker too, lots of little contented pig noises.

He's eating like a pig, which is a good thing. When I put hay in the cage, he went sprinting over to it, I think he's nibbled the pellets, and he's eating veggies really good. I was shocked he ate so soon.

JennG

Cavy Slave
My Callie is the way. The girl I got her from wasn't mean but we think the guy who dumped her at Petco had something to do with it. She wheeks real loud when you even lay a hand on her to pet her and takes off like a bat out of heck. She calms down once you hold her but she doesn't like to be messed with. I just keep trying. :)

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
Oh, congrats! Chewy is so cute!

The screaming when you pick him up may have something to do with his mites. My Brownie screams when I pick her up, and she has been treated for mites. I think it is just that she is scared. She is the only one of my pigs that does this. She has had lots of vet visits though, maybe she thinks she is going to the vet!-haha

RyanR

Cavy Slave
Chewy is cute, look at that face.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
He's so cute!!! And he sounds like a great friend for Chewie. And wheeking already? That's a good start! Guess he knows who the cavy slave is. Hehehe.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Congrats on your new addition but since Bacon has mites, you will need to do full treatments with all the pigs, not just one preventative treatment for the rest if they are all together. If only chewie and bacon are together then keep them together in quarantine for at least 3 weeks or longer if the mites are not gone and give the others preventative treatment. I remember what happened the last you adopted a new pig. You didn't do a full quarantine. This time it's very important that you do a full quarantine in another room because of the mites.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.