Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Finally getting my pigs!

Jacob Vadovsky

Cavy Slave
Good News Everyone! The day before Thanksgiving the animal shelter gave me a call since my information is on file and approved for a guinea pig. They got in two young boars the night before. They were bought for a 5 year old but he was too rough with them. Thankfully they are fine and have been cleared with a clean bill of health from the shelter's vet. I haven't seen them yet but I trust the shelter so I will be picking them up tomorrow. They are always closed on holidays but the vet is meeting me there to introduce me to them. I have a large temporary cage set up until I can build something more elaborate. The most important thing right now is getting them on a good diet and letting them settle in. I am so excited! They will be staying in my bedroom where they will be allowed regular floor time. I am still thinking of names for them but I want it to be after a famous duo. I will post pictures as soon as everyone is settled in tomorrow. I told the shelter to let their coloring be a surprise!

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
That's great! Good luck with them, and of course, we will beg for pigtures, so get ready for some posting!:D

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
-starts begging- ;)

Jacob Vadovsky

Cavy Slave
You'll see them shortly after I do!! I haven't even seen them yet! When they said they don't have pictures I told them to keep the color a surprise. They are young so they should be easy to tame. I hope they become friendly with me. I really like feeding pigs their veggies! They are like little vacuums.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Major congratulations, I can't wait to see pigtures! :D

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
LMAO at "they are like little vacuums. I'm dying LOL

jrv4babies

Cavy Slave
That is so true about the vacuums! We have only had our first new little piggie for 3 days...and that is the thing that has impressed me most, and my kids get an absolute hoot out of feeding her veggies. We have a wonderful family time of it! Can't wait to see your pics!

Jacob Vadovsky

Cavy Slave
They are!! Whenever I am around them I just sit there handing them hay. They suck it in just like a vacuum! The only thing better than that is when they are happy and they do that little dance! I know you guys call it something.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
You must mean popcorning!

Jacob Vadovsky

Cavy Slave
Yes! That's what it's called! I am going to try fleece bedding for them. I am just using a fleece blanket and a towel underneath for now but I will sew up some nice liners once I get a new needle for my machine. I will be keeping them in a very large dog cage until I build something larger. I made a thick fleece pouch for them to lay on or in and a hidey house with 2 doors. I also found them some Popsicle sticks to chew on. I'm going to make them a hay manger soon. I will be picking up some fresh greens and a bell pepper in the morning before I pick them up. I will try to not bother them and just lay on my bed and watch them from a distance until they settle in.

Jacob Vadovsky

Cavy Slave
Hope this isn't too off topic but this is my baby Elcectus parrot, Darwin. My main hobby is caring for parrots. He is almost 9 weeks old and is still being handfed by me. He is my little sidekick. And don't worry parrots don't eat small animals! I usually keep them away from them though since their wing flapping makes most small pets extremely nervous. I guess that is because they are hard wired to be afraid of birds of prey.

1496662_10205366789788561_483457330224783718_n.jpg

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm so excited you're getting piggies!

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
So glad you're getting piggies! I remember the excitement when I got mine. Oh, memories...

CharScoobJoey

Cavy Slave
Aw, nice! It always feels so great and refreshing to adopt from a shelter. I'm sure the pigs will adore their new home with you! :--)

Jacob Vadovsky

Cavy Slave
Just got back to the house with them. They aren't quiet as upset as I was expecting. When I put them in their temp cage they came up to me and sniffed my hand to check me out. The white one took a few gentle nibbles at my knuckle and the brown one was nibbling on my sleeve. I am going to get them a few pieces of veggies to share while they explore their new cage. I'm not sure how old they are but they are not fully grown. It felt so great that they are already checking me out! I will try to leave them be for today and see where we are at tomorrow.20141128_081511.jpg

Jacob Vadovsky

Cavy Slave
Lol well I learned the hard way that they are much smaller than I was expecting. They can walk right through the bars of the dog cage. So I am building them a better cage right now. I'll update once I am done with it.

Jacob Vadovsky

Cavy Slave
Well I somehow found everything I needed in my spare room to make a relatively large cage. 4 wire shelves for sides and grids/wire rack for a lid. It is the size of a 3x3 grid cage. The pigs are in their hidey box and are making little noises back and forth. They seem to like each other. I gave them some romaine lettuce, a few tiny pieces of apple and a few slices of carrots. I love them already. The brown and white one has a snowflake on his head and the white one is wearing eye makeup. They really need names. I want it to be 2 names that go well together. Like a famous duo!

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
They're adorable, congratulations! I'd love to see photos of their new cage if you feel like sharing, I adore looking at cage photos.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
They are adorable, congratulations! What about Frick and Frack as names? Just please be sure they have hay and water, those are crucial.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
I would love to see pictures of them upclose and what sex are they? (Did I miss that part)
Also for boys, what about Jake and Tyler :D for girls uhm..Cinnamon and Cinnabon. Lol I'm terrible sorry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.