Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Midwest cages

RockieGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Just curious, but would two Midwest expandable guinea pig habitats (from Amazon) placed together be big enough for two boars?[h=1][/h]

RockieGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Okay so, I'm looking over the Midwest Interactive Guinea Habitat Plus on Amazon and it doesn't say exactly what it comes with. Do any of you have any idea? There are several pictures and one of them shows two midwest cages connected together along with a divider and two ramps, and another with a cover, divider, and a ramp with just ONE midwest cage.
please let me know!

Svenandolaf

Cavy Slave
Hi! I own two Midwest cages. I bought mine alone and purchased the other things separately

glitterpiggies

Cavy Slave
I ordered two Habitat Plus cages last year and if I remember correctly each cage came with a wire top and a divider with a ramp. So that's two wire tops and two dividers with ramps.

I'd like to think they're big enough for two boars, but I've only kept sows in a Midwest Cage. Maybe someone with boars in a Midwest cage can say for sure :)

RockieGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I ordered two Habitat Plus cages last year and if I remember correctly each cage came with a wire top and a divider with a ramp. So that's two wire tops and two dividers with ramps.

I'd like to think they're big enough for two boars, but I've only kept sows in a Midwest Cage. Maybe someone with boars in a Midwest cage can say for sure :)

Oh okay, that helps a lot! Thanks so much.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
One Midwest Plus cage comes with:
The cage itself (bars and canvas bottom)
Cage lid
Dividing panel
Dividing panel ramp

If you order 2 of these cages you will 2 get of everything.

I will say, 2 of these together would only work if you have a bonded pair of males. Although it is 16sqft of space it's broken up and interrupted. You know your guinea pigs best though and it definitely could work.

I also wouldn't use the dividing panels though. It breaks up the space even more and makes places where pigs can corner one another. Guinea pigs also prefer flat uninterrupted spaces. I would only use one of the ramps to connect the 2 cages and ditch the dividing panels.

A few things to keep in mind, these cages are VERY flimsy. The bottoms are only canvas so they need a completely solid, flat surface to rest on. The bars are also pretty flimsy so I suggest having some zip ties in hand to reinforce where it needs it. The tops are very frustrating, they kind of latch on and fold to open and are awful. They are also crazy flimsy. If you're getting these they are not other pet proof in my opinion, if a cat sat on the lid it would bow a bunch and has the potential to collapse.

With all of this being said, I have 2 and love them. They work great for their purpose. I keep a bonded pair of sows in each cage. Mine are stacked, my dad built me a double decker table and they sit on that. I only use the cage, I don't have to worry about other pets as these are at my University house.

I have a video and a couple pictures on my set up on my computer, let me find them and I can post them.

RockieGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Thanks a lot. I'll keep everything in mind! I only wanted the top panel because I figured it would help keep the sides of the cage a little more stable. My boars keep escaping out of the cage I have right now and it's getting quite irritable. Every morning I wake up to a knocked over grid, along with two squeaking piggies waiting for their food. lol I have my cage on the floor, and the coroplast only covers the bottom of the cage, not the sides, so they like to tug at the connectors and loosen them. I'd get more coroplast but it was hard to find it as it is. We only got lucky! Also, the grids we have right now are plastic, not wired, so they like to chew at them sometimes.
It's just easier to buy a new cage all at once instead of looking around for the right things. :)

Again, thanks for your help. I'll probably leave out the dividers. I only wanted them because I don't want hay all over the place, just in that one area. My guinea pigs don't really bother each other though. They get along nicely and rarely do I ever see them chase each other.

Svenandolaf

Cavy Slave
Yes I purchased just the cage

Felicity_W

Cavy Gazer
Hey I am a new piggy owner and I have one guinea pig at the moment and he is in a temporary store bought cage until my new Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat comes in the mail in a few days. When I get the new cage , should I stick with the softwood bedding that I'm using now or switch to fleece

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.