PDA

View Full Version : Infection teardrop poo

Guinepig
11-25-14, 02:44 pm
Two of my guinea pigs have teardrop shaped poo. I read that it can be because of dehydration or malnutrition. I feed them 6 or 7 tablespoons of their pellets every day ( its Hartz brand. no seeds or nuts. I know they are terrible but they are the only pellets my parents will buy.) I also feed them each one 1/8th slice of bell pepper. ( I always get the biggest green bell pepper at the store) And then they get about 2 cups of a mix of romaine and radicchio lettuce. (I am going to see if my mom will get me a few bags of oxbow adult guinea pig food for christmas)

miniver
11-25-14, 03:06 pm
How old are your guinea pigs?
Are you feeding them hay?

Guinepig
11-25-14, 03:07 pm
I make sure they have some hay at all times, and they are a year old

Guinepig
11-25-14, 03:14 pm
If needed I can syringe feed them water.I still have two syringes without needles that are unopened

pinky
11-25-14, 03:14 pm
They need lots of hay. Hay should be their primary food source so there should be a big mound of hay in there at all times.

Guinepig
11-25-14, 03:15 pm
There is hay in their cage at all times

pinky
11-25-14, 03:16 pm
If needed I can syringe feed them water.I still have two syringes without needles that are unopened

Don't syringe feed them any water. Are they drinking water from their bottle? If you're concerned about them not getting enough liquids, wet their veggies before you offer them. Syringe feeding is tricky. If you do it wrong, they can aspirate it and develop pneumonia.

Guinepig
11-25-14, 03:17 pm
Most of the time they only drink water when they are eating pellets.

miniver
11-25-14, 03:22 pm
Pellets are the least important part of their diet. Hay is the most important. So, if the pellets are low quality you can cut back on them.
You can aslo try cutting back on the lettuce and see if that is upsetting their tummies.
You didn`t say how long this has been happening or if it`s both piggies or just one. I think that information will help other people on the forum give you some answers.

Guinepig
11-25-14, 03:23 pm
This just started happening today. I check their poops daily. And I have three piggies and it is only happening to my two crested.

pinky
11-25-14, 03:31 pm
Most of the time they only drink water when they are eating pellets.
They're getting enough water. Don't syringe feed them.

Guinepig
11-25-14, 03:34 pm
They're getting enough water. Don't syringe feed them.

Then why do my two crested guinea pigs poo look teardrop shaped?

pinky
11-25-14, 03:54 pm
Then why do my two crested guinea pigs poo look teardrop shaped?
If you're concerned that thet might be ill, take them in for a vet check so they can be thoroughly checked out. Some guinea pigs drink very little water because they get enough from their vegetables. You can cause more problems and injure them by force feeding them water. When a guinea pig stops eating, they need to be force fed so their digestive tract doesn't shut down. That's not the case in your situation. Since not all of them are affected, it's not necessarily diet related. Even things like parasites can cause loose droppings. A vet can do a complete check to see what's going on.

miniver
11-25-14, 03:58 pm
It sounds like their diet is good, getting hay and all that. My girls have the occational off day but it doesn`t last. I`d say give it until tomorrow but keep an eye on them.
Sorry, I wish I had better advice to offer. It`s very stressful when our piggies are out of sorts.

Guinepig
11-25-14, 05:54 pm
Thanks miniver and pinky.

Guinepig
11-26-14, 02:26 pm
Ok. So today I checked my piggies poop and everything looks normal!

miniver
11-26-14, 02:35 pm
I was hoping you would let us know how they are doing and I'm so glad to hear they're doing better.
I got a kick out of you saying you "check their poops daily". I do that too. They have us trained to do some funny things.