PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know the breed,(Pygmy Rabbit)

SelenaRanee
11-25-14, 11:14 am
hi a while back I bought 2 rabbits(at 5 weeks old)they were smaller than my hand when I got them but now there a bit bigger than a football. the person I got them from said they are pygmy rabbits
I really don't know anything about the breed and would like to learn more
I have researched them and cant seem to find anything except about the wild breed not the domestic(if they even exist)cause I have a feeling that they arnt...and if they arnt pygmy rabbits I would like someone to help me identify the breed.thanks
also they were smaller than my hand when I got them but now there a bit bigger than a football.
I can post pics sometime later today if it helps!

aqh88
11-25-14, 12:15 pm
I believe all wild species are illegal to keep in the US and wild rabbits tend not to tame well at all. They remain pretty wild. It's not uncommon for them to break their back from something startling them so they smash into the sides of the cage. It's unlikely you will find any info on keeping this species as a pet. People do often borrow small names and apply them to regular domestic rabbits to trick people in to buying the rabbit. Then they get to be medium rabbits instead. "Dwarf" rabbits being sold by pet stores and many breeders have none of the dwarf genes and possibly not even any breeding to dwarf breeds. They are simply semi small rabbits with a label attached.

dani_starr
11-25-14, 01:24 pm
Pictures would definitely help :)

SelenaRanee
11-27-14, 10:09 am
70692there this is the whole litter...I have the brown and white and the black and white on the right side of the brown rabbit:)

Guinepig
11-27-14, 10:36 am
I don't think that they are pygmy rabbits. I read that they are grey. Not any of the colors that are in this picture.

SelenaRanee
11-27-14, 11:14 am
I figured so..i think they have a bit of dwarf In them
what do you think?

aqh88
11-27-14, 11:21 am
US wild rabbits are all what we call chestnut. Those are simply domestic rabbit mutts. One red and some black brokens. Possibly some charlies which would mean 2 brokens were improperly crossed. The short ear might mean dwarf. If you run your hand down the head and feel eye bulges at the top that is a definite sign of dwarf. They are bred to have round heads and bulging eyes.

dani_starr
11-27-14, 03:52 pm
Oh my god! So much cuteness! I am definitely very much a newb when it comes to rabbits, but could they be Netherland dwarf rabbits?

SelenaRanee
11-28-14, 09:04 am
i know they are very cute so I just had 2 get them.yes I think one of em is for sure Netherland dwarf cause it has the short ears and the bulging eyes.but the other one is different cause it has big ears and no bulging eyes and since there siblings they must be mixed with more breeds for sure.

Gandalf
11-29-14, 12:20 am
What are their current ages and have you been able to sex them? If you have a male & female, you may need to separate them before one gets pregnant (or they could begin fighting, regardless of gender, when those hormones kick in). I agree, they look like mixes. -nothing wrong with that - most of mine have been mixes from rabbit rescues.

I have a site with some general rabbit care info here (http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com) if you'd like to take a look.

SelenaRanee
12-01-14, 10:29 am
What are their current ages and have you been able to sex them? If you have a male & female, you may need to separate them before one gets pregnant (or they could begin fighting, regardless of gender, when those hormones kick in). I agree, they look like mixes. -nothing wrong with that - most of mine have been mixes from rabbit rescues.

I have a site with some general rabbit care info here (http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com) if you'd like to take a look. yes when I bought them they said its 2 females but I know for a fact that its a male and female.they are about 2 months old right now..when do you think I should separate them?and yes I have no problem with mixes..even all my rabbits are mixed so yeah:)

aqh88
12-01-14, 11:28 am
At 2 months old. Usually they won't breed until 4 months but it's happened at 8weeks in small breeds.

Most dwarf rabbits are a mix and have unpredictable offspring in the same litter because dwarf rabbits are hard to breed to show standard. It's much easier to cross in small breeds that don't have dwarf characteristics instead of dwarf x dwarf breeding so that's what often ends up in the pet market and why you get a range of body type and size from a single litter.