PDA

View Full Version : Vet Looking for a vet in Oakland, CA

puckerNkicker
11-22-14, 12:50 pm
Yello. I'm on the road moving to Oakland, CA. Just yesterday, when I was on the road, I've noticed Pucker have a little fungal infection on his ear. He has it before and got better. I guess I need to keep the cage more clean. Knowing what to look for, I use the black light to see it more clear and check Kicker if he got it too. Kicker looks fine but I still want both of them checked by a experience guinea pig vet. If anyone in this forum is from Oakland area and know a good vet, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!

bpatters
11-22-14, 01:22 pm
You can search the vet database at www.guineapigzone.com for a good vet in that area.

But two things...

One, not all fungi fluoresce under black light, so that's not a good diagnostic test.

Two, you can easily treat it yourself. See http://www.guinealynx.info/search_fungus for more information.

CavyHouse
11-22-14, 04:37 pm
I second what bpatters said.
If you do end up needing a vet in the Oakland area, I hear that Dr. Carolyn Harvey is one of the best. She specializes in rabbits but sees lots of guinea pigs too. She's known nationwide in the rabbit community, I believe. Here's their info:

Chabot Veterinary Clinic
(510) 538-2330
20877 Foothill Blvd., Hayward, CA 94541
Dr. Carolynn Harvey
Wed- Fri 9 A.M. - 6 P.M.; Sat 9 to 2 P.M.
May take an emergency, call first

I take all our rescue piggies to Dr. Curt Nakaura at Adobe Animal Hospital in Los Altos - which is further. And he'll be moving to the southbay soon when their new office opens.

puckerNkicker
11-22-14, 05:14 pm
Good to know I can treat it myself. But if some fungi can't be seen under Blacklight then I'll keep a closer eye on them with any irregular on their skins. Thanks!
You can search the vet database at www.guineapigzone.com for a good vet in that area.

But two things...

One, not all fungi fluoresce under black light, so that's not a good diagnostic test.

Two, you can easily treat it yourself. See http://www.guinealynx.info/search_fungus for more information.