Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Worn out!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I finally found the time to get the expansion done. I had a 3x4 with 2 upper levels. Now it's a 3x4 with a 2x3 expansion on the front side of the cage with the same 2 upper levels. I guess you could call it a backwards L shaped cage now. I changed the ramp leading from the main level to the 2nd story. I had a bent grid ramp but Finna was scared of it, so I switched it out with my 2nd pvc pipe ramp (the other half of my other pvc pipe ramp). Finna is now going upstairs and I can stop putting pellets and hay on the main level and keep it totally upstairs once again.

I found a creative use for my bent grid ramp. It's now a futon at the end of the 2x3 section. The girls are definately loving the extra room although they started chattering and rumblestrutting at each other for a little bit. There were piggie trains going from one end of the cage to the other. It was cute to watch.

Pictures will come soon.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Sounds awesome, Ly, can't wait to see the pictures!

JennG

Cavy Slave
Can't wait to see the pictures. I'm always looking for ideas. I'm going to revise mine to give the girls more room to run around. Plus I'd like to adopt at least one more piggie.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
My new cage photos are in the gallery, they were posted a few weeks ago.
I made some modifications though. The hayloft is now the 3rd story and pellets are on 2nd story and the bent grid ramp is now a futon and was replaced by a 2nd pvc pipe ramp.

I just posted the expansion photos in the gallery. They can be found here:
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4121
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4122
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4123

JiggityJig

Cavy Slave
(off topic)

I love your black and white pig! Is she the one with the patch over the eye that some have for an avatar, here?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks. That's my Chatterbox Harlequin aka Chatty. She is not an avatar here.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Can we see a whole picture of your cage? I'd like to get an idea of how it looks. How does the futon thingy work? I think I'm going to have an extra bent grid once I go to one huge level. Where do you keep your cage Ly? I noticed its on the floor. I have mine on grids to keep it off the floor. Its easier for me to clean & I can keep most of their stuff stored under it. Just curious.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I can't get a full shot of the cage, it's too big and my bed is in the way. The futon is made from 2 grids bent and zip tied together then zip tied to the side of the cage. I put a piece of coroplast cut to fit the bottom on there and covered it with an old sheet and fleece on top. They can lay under the futon or on it.

I keep the cage in my bedroom. My son doesn't care for the pigs at all so they are away from him. It is on the floor and it sits in an alcove but the one end sits right up against the end of my bed. If I put it on a stand, I wouldn't be able to clean it at all.

I was able to take some separate photos of different sections and kinda put them together the best I could so you can get an idea of the cage. The bottom blacked out area is my bed and the upper left blacked out area is just filling in white space where I put the photos together. The one area of the cage you can't see is the main level area closest to the end of my bed and you can't see underneath the loft on the right side. I stood on the bed to get the photos. The lighting is off from one section to the other so forgive my crappy photo.

Last edited:

JennG

Cavy Slave
That gives me a pretty good idea how big your cage is. Your hubby doesn't mind sharing your bedroom with the girls, huh? Mine would have a fit. I'm hoping to start working on my girls cage tonight if my back doesn't give out. I moved my son's room around last night to get it ready and did a whole lot of other household chores and I'm paying for it today. Anyways, cage looks great. I'm off to work. Talk to ya later.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
What hubby? *laughs* I am technically still married as far as I know but he ran off and left me 3 1/2 years ago. So only me and my 7 sows share the bedroom.

If you see that new picture, when I cleaned the cage last night, I moved some things around including the futon. They weren't using it where it was so I moved it over to the other section and late last night I saw Chatty and one of the other girls laying up there. So at least it's getting used now. I also took out their small cat litter pan and replaced it with a coroplast tray that is the size of a 1x2 as a litter pan. I will see if they use that. It seems I am always doing some kind of experiment with something.

JennG

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry about the hubby. I forgot. But if you'd like to borrow mine, feel free. :) God love him cause sometimes I don't. But that's another thread....teehee.

Anyways, I'm wore out and haven't started on their cage yet but I'm heading down now. I'm going home tomorrow and want to get it done and leave them with a clean cage. I like my coroplast potty. They seem to use it better. I'm going to build another one to put under the hay area. That seems to be where they pee alot. Wouldn't that be nice to just pee and poo where ever you want to and someone comes in and cleans up after ya? Actually that sounds gross. Ok gotta go. Hopefully this won't take long. Yeah right, I'm a perfectionist.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Ok I finished my cage last Friday. The girls seem to be loving it. I love the fact that I put a coroplast potty under the hay rack. It catches the extra hay and keeps their pee & poop contained. It's easy to lift it out and dump it in the trash. Thanks for the idea. I saw it somewhere in the galleries.

TheMadWheeker

Cavy Slave
Jenn :D Your Welcome!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Ly - I meant to ask you since I've seen you mention your PVC ramps a couple of times, do you have anything lining the tube to make them less slippery and/or easier to climb?

The cage redo looks fabulous by the way!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I use binder clips and clip fleece to the pvc ramps. Otherwise the pigs cannot get up them as they are rather slippery.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Awesome cage ly! I love your pigies they are all so cute!

LBKK

Cavy Slave
Hey Jenn, can you put a pic of your potty/hay rack on here somewhere? Sounds like a great idea and I'd love to add one to mine but I'm having a hard time picturing it....

JennG2005 said:
Ok I finished my cage last Friday. The girls seem to be loving it. I love the fact that I put a coroplast potty under the hay rack. It catches the extra hay and keeps their pee & poop contained. It's easy to lift it out and dump it in the trash. Thanks for the idea. I saw it somewhere in the galleries.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Yeah I need to get my pictures developed. I've just been real busy with work, kids, pigs and stuff. I'll try and post some new pictures this week.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Would you believe that I am thinking of rearranging my room and redoing the cage yet again. I am thinking of moving my bed over on the wall in front of the closet (leaving just enough room to get into the closet) and that will open up room to put the expansion in line with the rest of the cage instead of it being L shaped. It will take me probably a whole afternoon or evening to do this and I haven't decided for certain to do it but I am getting that redesign fever again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.