Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss BALD SPOT on guinea pig. No itching or spots anywhere else

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Tonight, while doing a cage clean, I decided to inspect a spot on Harry's butt that looked a little different. I noticed it at least a few days ago, but didn't think anything of it as the rest of him is fine, and he's been acting normal. No excess itching or anything. My boyfriend said that when we adopted them, he was pretty sure he had it.

When I gently pushed the hair back, I was shocked to see that he has a large bald spot under his fur, about an inch or so. He doesn't have any other spots that I can tell, and it's pink, but it looks like it's his normal skin tone pink. It does feel a little rougher, but this is comparison to his ears and the skin behind his ears.

It's hard to get a good look/picture of it, as he is very squirmy.

I apologize for the cruddy pictures, it's night time, and we only have one light.

Harry bald spot 2.jpgHarry bald spot 3.jpgHarry bald spot 4.jpgHarry bald spot.jpg

Ginny doesn't have any spots on her. Neither of them are itching at all.

I adopted them both from a guinea pig rescue, and they received a clean bill of health before coming home with me.

Any ideas what this could be? Fungal infection, or self barbering perhaps?

Does this warrant a trip back to the rescue for a vet check, or to their vet?

Thank you! I read the guinealynx hair loss post, and it didn't help me much.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
After some more bribing with veggies, I was able to get a better look at it. Around the edge on one side, it is a little dry/flaky. This means fungal infection I presume then?

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the response! If it is indeed fungus, can I just get some of the Monistat-7 OTC human cream linked on guinealynx for treatment?

His skin doesn't look as near as bad as any of the pics on guinealynx. There are no spots on or near his face either.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the additional information. I'm assuming to just put a tiny dab on a q-tip or cotton ball, and then carefully rub it in? I'll be sure to rub it in very well so he doesn't accidentally ingest anything.

I searched online, and the Target near me also carries the Nizoral shampoo. Should I pick some of that up as well to give him a bath?

Guineas Galore

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Just as a side note, my boy Marshie had a spot like this because another one of my boys chewed off his hair...is Harry caged with anyone else? :)

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=32942]Guineas Galore[/MENTION] Harry is housed with a female who he was paired with at the rescue. They were adopted out as a bonded pair, and haven't had any scruffs that I've noticed. When your other piggy chewed off his hair, did it have little bit of dry/flaking skin on the edge of it at all?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't rub any possible fungal lesion with my bare finger. Fungus is very contagious, even to humans.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
If it's not a fungal infection, and is just the result of Ginny yanking out some fur, would putting the fungal medication on it harm him? How long til the hair would start to grow back?

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
I'm still torn on whether to apply the ointment or not. His hair isn't falling out anywhere else, nor does it seem to fall out near the spot. There is two tiny scabs on it, but they are pin prick size. Other than that, it looks pretty normal. I've been trying to get better pictures, but haven't had any luck with it.

He's not scratching at all, nor his cage mate, Ginny. I've handled him multiple times (stupidly yes, but this was before I realized it could of been fungal/ringworm), with just my bare hands when trying to look at it. It's been a couple days now, if it was fungal, wouldn't Ginny or I caught something by now?

Should I put the fungal medication on him, or just wait it out and put it on if he get's worse. His face, behind his ears, ears, etc. are all clear and normal looking.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Well, I just put some on him, he did really good! He stayed still for the most part. Hopefully it helps!
[MENTION=22436]ThePigAlchemist[/MENTION], did you sterilize the cage as well? By this, I mean take out everything and do a thorough clean every day?

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
This morning, it looks like there might be a tiny bit of something on his nose. Can I use the same stuff for his nose as well? :(

Ginny still is perfectly healthy looking, nothing on her, thank goodness.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, you can. Just rub in it really well. I try to do it at least three times a day.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Thank you foggycreekcavy, will do. :)

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
I was looking over Ginny really closely while weighing her, and she has some dry/flaky skin, right above her ears and on the nape of her neck. It looks like there is a tiny bit of hair loss as well, it's hard to tell.

I put some ointment on her too.
@foggycreekcavy, perhaps you can shed some light on this. Would it benefit them both to give them a nizoral shampoo bath, or should I just wait it out and use the clotrimazole cream for now? I don't want to stress them more than necessary obviously, and I have a feeling a bath would be stressful.

Neither of them are itching, healthy appetites, and acting normal. Best little patients in the world too, they sat perfectly still the entire time! Well, except for on Harry's nose, but I would imagine that tickled.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Poor Ginny must of scratched herself while grooming, and the back of her neck was covered in dried blood/a large scab where her skin is bald. Harry's bald spot is looking much better, the skin looks pretty healthy.

Would it do her more harm or good to go through the stress of a nail trim right now? I also was considering giving them a bath with the nizoral shampoo, would that sting any open cuts she has? I'd imagine it would ouch something fierce.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Here are some pictures of the dried blood/scab forming on her. It's really hard, and one solid thing. In the pictures, the dark red/red area is the entire dried blood/scab on her. You can see the healthy pink skin by her ear for contrast.

ginny scab.jpgginny scab 2.jpgginny scab 3.jpg

Do I need to do anything to prevent infection? Does she need to see the vet for this since it's scabbed?

Is it okay to put the 1% clotrimazole cream top of the scab? (I'm currently using this https://www.target.com/p/up-up-clotrimazole-1-cream-0-5-oz/-/A-14898713 ) I have been rubbing the clotrimazole gently over the scab, and into the surrounding skin as well.
@bpatters @foggycreekcavy @ThePigAlchemist Tagging you lovely ladies in case this post gets missed, and you have all helped me very much so far. :) Ginny appreciates it!

Bright side, the tiny bit that was on Harry's nose has cleared up, and the bald spot on him is healthy skin now, with no scabs.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the response at least. :) Me too! Ginny is acting normal, healthy appetite, and doesn't have any spots except for that one. I think Ginny is doing better too, it just looks bad cause the dried blood/scab.

vannahrenee

Cavy Slave
My piggy had a similar looking spot on him and it was dermatitis. The vet prescribed me a cream to put on it and it was cleared up with a week or so.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
So is the scab from a wound? Did she get bit, or scratch herself? Was it a burst abscess?

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
I believe the scab is from her scratching her skin while grooming. I didn't notice any abscesses or bite marks the day before I saw the scab. I also think a lot of it was dried blood as well.

It is looking much better today, the scab is probably a 1/3 the size that it was in the pictures, and all the dried blood is gone. Both piggies are doing pretty good now, and their skin is slowly looking healthy again. I plan to continue treatment until their hair is growing back a bit, just to be on the safe side. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.