Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Sneezing, grunting sound when breathing...possible allergies?

_piggie_love17

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I have a question. Have any of you had any pigs who sneeze a couple times a day (no nasal discharge), and make a strange grunting noise while breathing? I noticed this in one of my girls for awhile now, but she seemed otherwise healthy, so I thought nothing of it until it happened more frequently. I brought her to the vet and the vet said her lungs and nasal passages are all clear, and that it may be allergies. Does anyone have a pig with allergies and have any ideas of how to relieve them? I feel so bad for my poor little girl.

miniver

Cavy Slave
There are many types of hay. You could try orchard hay instead of timothy. Also, try cleaning the cage more often or try a different bedding. Finally, watch to see if there is an activity or area of the cage that causes the sneezing. This may help you deal with the problem.

I have one girl who sneezes, not often, but enough that it worried me at first. Then I notice she does this right after she cleans herself or if she sticks her whole head into the hay pile. I also thought she was breathing heavy when I had her out for lap time. She's actually sniffing the air but she's very quite about it.

kateanddoodle

Cavy Slave
Not to raise an alarm/make you panic, but my old pig grunted when he was breathing because of congestive heart failure. If you change the hay and bedding and notice the grunting hasn't gone away, maybe bring this up with your vet and get X-rays taken to look at the size of your pig's heart.

Again, don't panic- if you hear hoofbeats, don't assume zebras. :)

_piggie_love17

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys so much! I will try out the orchard hay and see how it goes. And as for bedding, I use mostly fleece, plus Carefresh for the kitchen area...do you have any suggestions for a replacement for the Carefresh?

Portal_Corgi

Cavy Slave
I use about five layers of newspaper, two layers of towels, and a layer of fleece on top with no problems, but I've heard fleece can cause more respiratory problems or make respiratory problems worse if you aren't willing to clean it every day or if you use it in a small cage. I'm not sure how true this is though. I've also been wanting to try fleece on top of wood pellets for a while now because I've heard people have a lot of success with it, but haven't had a chance to make it to the home improvement store to pick up any yet.

I've also noticed that my pigs snuffle more with timothy hay so I'm switching back to orchard this weekend. My vet also said it was allergies since they don't really sneeze per se, it's more of a nose clearing noise, like a chuffing sound. It might just be the brand of hay I got this time though since it wasn't the best quality.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Mine did that but then I changed her hay to first cut and she doesn't sneeze anymore

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.