PDA

View Full Version : Ovarian Cysts Need info about Lupron, specifics

SandyPig
11-17-14, 09:07 pm
Hi,
If anyone has treated pigs with Lupron for ovarian cysts, can you please tell me:
1) What dose did you use?
2) How often?
3) Where did you get the Lupron?
4) How much did it cost?

Same questions if you used HCG or other hormones.

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!

bpatters
11-17-14, 09:21 pm
You'll have to have a vet administer it -- it's a prescription-only drug. The cost depends on how much of it the vet prescribes. It doesn't have a long shelf life, so if the vet gives it only occasionally, a lot gets wasted. But if he has several patients on it, then the medicine all gets used, and the cost goes down.

It's given as needed. If a pig gets a really good response with it, then it may be months before it needs to be given again. If a pig gets a moderate response, then it may be given more frequently.

I have a pig that I'm considering it for. So far, her cyst is tiny, so I'm waiting until there's some change to make a decision.

ClemmyOddieIndy
11-17-14, 09:43 pm
Lupron
1) Unknown (The vet administers it)
2) One dose (I was told one was all that is needed of Lupron)
3) My veterinarian
4) $75

HCG
1) Unknown (same as above)
2) 3 doses over about 6 months time
3) My veterinarian
4) $300 per injection.

SandyPig
11-18-14, 05:05 pm
The vet says it would be one dose and act slowly over time. They think it will be >$300. He said the cost of Lupron went up recently.
Thanks for info.
I think I'm violating the one thread per pig policy so won't write more here.

bpatters
11-18-14, 05:06 pm
This thread is ok. It's about the cost of Lupron, not specifically about your pig.

ClemmyOddieIndy
11-18-14, 06:10 pm
[QUOTE=SandyPig;903052]The vet says it would be one dose and act slowly over time. They think it will be >$300. He said the cost of Lupron went up recently.
Thanks for info.
I think I'm violating the one thread per pig policy so won't write more here.[/QUOTE

My pig had her Lupron injection in August. I wonder when it went up. Do you have university teaching hospital nearby? Maybe they could get it cheaper for you there.

SandyPig
11-18-14, 06:37 pm
My pig had her Lupron injection in August.

Is it working? Can you tell?

ClemmyOddieIndy
11-18-14, 06:53 pm
Is it working? Can you tell?

She actually had a rapidly growing cancer (I adopted her in July) and she passed in October. The cyst was not symptomatic (we found it on a CT Scan while looking at her tumors), and she never developed symptoms and it did not grow any larger after the Lupron injection. So, while I've used it I don't really have long term experience with it. My pig who had the HCG injection had hers in August and September 2013, and it did stop her symptoms (she was losing hair and weight). In January 2014 they decided to give her another dose of it when she became lethargic before we realized the lethargicness was due to heart failure. She passed away in May 2014, but her cyst never grew after the first injection and never did become symptomatic again. They told me the HCG and Lupron would not shrink the cysts, but what they would do would be to suppress the symptoms and growth. Both cases they considered to be successful because in neither case did symptoms or growth occur after the injection. If I had another pig with an ovarian cysts I would likely choose whatever is cheapest. In my experience both did what I expected.