Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions My first two guinea pigs in over a year!

Wenzer

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone; let me start by saying ive been planning on getting a couple boars for a while since i started missing the pigs i had over a year ago... my previous two pigs were rescues and old aged, eventually passing on early last year.
I didnt have anything set up yet because i was planning to wait a little longer, until after i got some more info under my belt (my mind just doesnt like to retain some information lol). Well surprise, surprise! I come home from work to find two baby boars! They are most likely from the local pet store but im not certain. Gonna have to have a long talk with the family lol.
Well, currently they are in a large plastic tote (please dont bash me, this is extremely temporary and i know its not appropriate.) While i get their c&c cage setup. It should be done in a couple more hours at most so like i said extremely temporary.
I went out and bought everything that i didnt already have; oxbow juvenile cavy food, timothy hay, a container of spring mix greens, a bell pepper (just one because theyre young and i dont know if they will eat it yet), some cherry tomatoes, carrots, and a sweet potato. Also got some fleece. I already had the c&c cage supplies (except the coroplast which i also bought today).
I now have questions for you all to refresh my memory :)
1. What size c&c cage is appropriate for two young boars? 2x2? 2x3? I dont want them to be stressed from a large amount of space (if they would be that is) but i know bigger is better! Also, what is recommended size for two ADULT boars? Given they are relatively bonded to each other and dont bicker any more than normal?
2. How long should i wait until i can start handling them? I want them to get accustomed to me/us first but cant wait to snuggle!
3. Name suggestions? :) :)

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
They are so cute!! a good size cage would be a 2x4. You should give them a few days before handling.

Wenzer

Cavy Slave
Thank you ! The darker one is a little ham, he crawled up my chest and beside my neck and snoozed for a bit occasionally making some little chortles. I didnt mess with them too much though to keep from stressing them. The calico looking one (tricolor i think its called? Maybe?) Is more skittish.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
First of all, are you positive that they're actually both boars? Pet stores often missex piggies.

For two boars, the recommended size is a 2x5. Especially once they start going through puberty, they'll be extra hormonal and need as much space as possible. They won't be overwhelmed by the large space, and their age doesn't affect their cage size. A 2x2 is too small for even one pig.

It will probably take them a few days to get settled in, so I would hold off on the snuggles for now. I know it's very hard to resist, but they need some time.

Cute piggies!

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Next time I get piggies I am getting girls! I did the boar cleaning today and I don't think they will ever forgive me lol!

Wenzer

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the help! Im fairly certain they are boars as i checked them but i could be wrong. And i see, i will set the cage up as 2x5 :) thank you!!

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Yes, a 2 by 5 is recommended for two males, but a 2 by 6 would be even better, if you have that much room. Cute pigs! One of my girls, Biscuit, looks almost exactly like the brown one, except that she's a shorthaired.

Wenzer

Cavy Slave
Hmm i see! Would it possibly be acceptable to do 3x4? I think that would be equivalent to 2x6? Lengthwise i dont have room for 2x6 but width i have a fair amount of room for 3 grids wide.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Yeah, that would be totally acceptable! I'm sure your little boys will love it! By the way, have you considered any names yet?

Wenzer

Cavy Slave
I kind of like the name Cal, but not sure if i can stick with it lol i feel like ill end up forgetting that name. Otherwise no i havent figured any out :(

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
May I suggest some?

Wenzer

Cavy Slave

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
I suggest:

• Sven
  • Pipsqueak
  • Willy
  • Patches
  • Buster
  • Kip

Hope you like one or two of these!

Wenzer

Cavy Slave
I really like Kip! And i think Patches fits the calico one well :) thanks!!

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Sure! I actually love thinking up names!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Congratulations, those piggies are adorable! I wouldn't worry about gender as long as the genitalia match.

Wenzer

Cavy Slave
Thanks! Yes they did match. I think i like the names Kip and Wenzer :) like my username lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.